Oregon
Options

Ideas for DIY wedding reception food?

Hi,
  I'm looking for some good ideas for make ahead appetizers, salads and meals.  My fiance and I both like to cook.  We are getting married at 1 pm at our little church.  The reception will be in the church hall.  We are going to make our own food.  Our wedding is in August so we are going to do appetizers and salads.  I also want to do an easy main dish.  We are going to cook everything 1-2 days before.  We have friends who are going to bring the food out buffet style.  
   Does anyone have any good make ahead food ideas?  Thanks so much.
Katie

Re: Ideas for DIY wedding reception food?

• Options
    thecatergatorthecatergator member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out bigrecipes.com.  I am the person that put on afternoon wedding 105.   I listed my menus and some recipes. I really liked the cheese ball made into the shape of stacked packages.  I have since made this without the lower tier and it will still feed 100+. 

There are other weddings listed as well.  Hopefully you can find lots of help there.
  • Options
    RKwedding2011RKwedding2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much!  I will check it out.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Meatballs...either BBQ or Sweet and sour

• Options
    edited December 2011
    There is so much amazing forage foods in the PNW that would make a unique splash on salads.  Huckleberries travel well compared to other berries and their color is divine.  They're amazing with Salmon, pork and any game birds. 

There are some VERY easy and to die for beautiful foods done with raw fresh figs.  There are a variety of colors they come in ranging from chartreuse to purple on the outside and rose on the inside.  You can quarter them halfway and fill them with a wine sauce, a honey, some cheese or just plating them near or on top of anything livens up a plate and tongue.

I'm a big fan of microgreens for salads and you can grow them and clip them yourself from seedling trays.

Bruschettas are easy to put together and keep well.  Buying several baguettes to cut up make the baking portion easier for time.

For main courses I don't know for keeping 2 days and it presenting well in a posh way.

Bar b que shredded meats gain in flavor when they sit and don't mind being reheated.  If you're going casual and since it is summer.

I don't know how casual or fancy you're going or what color preferences you have but hopefully these do a good bit of help.

http://dherbs.com/images-recipes/R%20Dried%20Fig%20Bars.gif

http://www.marthastewart.com/article/have-you-tried-fresh-figs
    This shows off their showcase quality.
    Figs are symbolic of fertility and abundance and good fortune with family.

Congratulations!

• Options
    RKwedding2011RKwedding2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for the tips! I love the idea of adding fresh berries and foods to salads.  YUM!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards