Michigan-Detroit

Help me decorate an ugly reception space!

My FI and I love our church and neither of us have any doubt that is where we will be married. However, the sanctuary, as they call it, where the wedding ceremonies take place, leaves a lot to be desired. Mint green carpet, maroon chairs, lots of brick…

Help me decorate an ugly reception space! :  wedding ceremony church decor ugly Church

I have no idea what to do to decorate for our ceremony. I am working on a very tight budget, so filling it with fresh flowers isn't feasible, nor is renting different chairs or chair covers. Our colors are orange, yellow, and brown.

Any suggestions? I am definitely open to DIY projects. I wonder if I decorate primarily with white/champagne it would offset the green and red? Then add touches of my bright colors.

Any ideas or inspiration is greatly appreciated!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Help me decorate an ugly reception space!

• This is not helpful at all but..

We're not decorating our ceremony space at all.  There's a few flowers/plants/garland the venue supplies and we're going to have those up, but otherwise...

I think, IN GENERAL, people aren't going to remember ceremony decorations - they remember what the bride looks like.  We're taking the approach of us and the bridal party being the "decorations".

In regards to your actual question...  An aisle runner would help the green carpet (no one is going to care what's under their feet - but they'll notice the aisle, especially when you're walking down it).  If you're feeling ambitious an aisle runner lined with petals in your colors on the edges.

That's all I can think of right now, sorry.  Good luck!
  • I second the aisle runner suggestion. The only carpet anyone will be looking at is the portion you walk down, so a runner will help immensely. They're not that expensive. Other than that, if you're on a budget... I wouldn't worry too much. Maybe some tissue pomanders?
    Follow Me on Pinterest Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What is your budget exactly? I have a few suggestions but don't really want to impose if you cannot afford any of it. DIY projects can sometimes be expensive as well.
  • I totally agree about not spending TOO much time, money or effort sprucing up the ceremony site because people will not notice as much as you think they might.  From the picture, it doesn't look bad!Smile

I also second the idea about a runner making a big impact.  Our flower shop made a great suggestion: you could line both sides of the runner with flower petals to sort of frame it.  That would be relatively cheap (especially if you buy a bag of fake petals at Michael's Crafts) yet dramatic.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_help-me-decorate-an-ugly-reception-space?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:c4e60dfd-ec73-425c-8043-e41238bdf073Post:fe064087-51b1-4776-99c3-91949bd27396">Re: Help me decorate an ugly reception space!</a>:
    [QUOTE] Our flower shop made a great suggestion: you could line both sides of the runner with flower petals to sort of frame it.  That would be relatively cheap (especially if you buy a bag of fake petals at Michael's Crafts) yet dramatic.
    Posted by AmyNoelle[/QUOTE]

<div>Slightly (though not much) time consuming and cheaper than buying already colored petals is to dye them yourself.  You can get white rose petals at the dollar store and dye them yourself if you want (I did this and they turned out GREAT and SO much cheaper than buying pre-colored ones).</div>
  • I loved this ceremony setup and went to all kinds of places looking for Boston ferns.Then I went to Kroger to pick up dinner, and they had a ton of them on sale for $12.  They're probably not on sale anymore, but they're not too expensive.

Scroll to the bottom to see what I'm taking about. 

I also found some nice potted palms on sale at Home Depot for under $20 each. 

Cake! - June 2013
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards