Flowers

Dream of columbine's broken...

I am absolutely in LOVE with blue Colorado Columbines. They're the state flower of Colorado and it's illegal to pick them in the wild but I thought some flower stores might grow them commercially and sell them. Unfortunately, when I called a few they all gave me the same answer: no one uses them. I'm really disappointed because I wanted to be different and Columbine's are just so beautiful. My wedding is still 2 years away but I wanted to start thinking about this stuff now. What do I do? Do I find an alternative blue flower or keep looking for someone who has Columbines?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Dream of columbine's broken...

• Ken&CassKen&Cass member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know what your budget is but chances are anyone that could get them for you would probably charge you a decent amount for them. If I were you I would find another flower that you like. I've lived in Colorado for 6 years and I've never seen or heard of anyone using them in a bouqet or selling them at a flower shop for that matter. Your other option would be to try and find artificial...
    Here are some:
    http://www.save-on-crafts.com/columbines.html
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LeahMILeahMI member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Yea I've kind of accepted that I can't have them. Even if I grew my own, the flower lady said they don't use them because they don't survive outside of water very long so even if I used them, they would probably wilt pretty quickly.

Any ideas for blue alternatives? Our main color is going to be a navy blue so I wanted a light blue flower to contrast. Suggestions??

Thank you both for your opinions.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • gaharvardgaharvard member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also hate to rain on your parade, but columbines also have a short flowering season (usually spring for a mont and that's it). An alternative that you might like is Larkspur. It is available during most of the spring/summer season. It also comes on a stalk and is a little bit fuller than the columbine but does come in a blue variety. You might also look at delphiniums -- they are also on a stalk and in blue.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards