Rhode Island

Weekday wedding

How do you guys feel about Thursday weddings?  I would love to do it on a Friday or Sunday but it is just to much money at some venues!

Re: Weekday wedding

• edited December 2011
    They are becoming more popular and are a great way to save but you have to be prepared that some people will be unable to make it. I think weeknight (including Friday) weddings are inconvenient, but that doesn't stop me from going if it's important enough. (That doesn't mean I haven't complained about having to take time off of work to drive several hours and then find a place to change!) The people who really want to be there will be there.

That said, for my wedding, I'd rather have a weekend wedding at a more reasonably priced venue. It comes down to priorities; make your list of must-haves. For us, having the people we love around us was more important than impressing them with a venue. GL with your decisions!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks!  This is going to be a destination wedding for everyone so I thought maybe Thursday would be okay because they would have to take off anyway and they have the rest of the weekend.  Also there is the possiblility of a Monday wedding on a holiday but then I feel like people won't enjoy themselves because they would worry about getting back into their work routines.
  • MNVegasMNVegas member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011

We are getting in Las Vegas and having a Wednesday wedding. We are having a small wedding, so most people who are coming are flying in and staying in Vegas for a few days.

When I was in Cancun in early December, there were 3 weddings while I was at the resort. Two were on a weekday and 1 on the weekend.  I have been to resorts in Jamaica and saw weekday weddings also.

It is a little difference with DW because a lot of people schedule their vacations around the wedding.

• edited December 2011
    I just want to point out that if you have a weekday wedding in Newport which isn't on a Friday your guests will save big time on hotel costs! The markup on hotel rates in Newport during the weekends is pretty ridiculous and then on top of it nearly all hotels in Newport require a two night stay for Friday or Saturday arrival. I feel scared that by having a weekend wedding in the Newport area some people might not make the trip out because of the $400 they will have to spend on hotels.
  • edited December 2011
    We are doing a Sunday evening wedding which we have found to be substantially cheaper than both Saturday and Friday. Its also nice that our out of town guests can fly in on Saturday and they only have to take one day off from work (Monday). Just a thought!
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto PP; my wedding was on a Sunday and we saved $$ big time not just on the venue but with the dj and photographer too!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • RoyalOrientRoyalOrient member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with KB_RI, I find Friday weddings to be a big inconvenient for guests especially out of towners. I rather choose a holiday sunday or a saturday venue that is less expensive.
  • EileenK1984EileenK1984 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm actually having a Thursday wedding myself- we were planning to have it small  and most of our guests have to travel anyway. Before making the final decision, though, we checked with some of the family and friends that we knew we just HAD to have with us on our wedding day.  It was significant savings and I've gotten discounts from other vendors besides just venue too. And as one of the previous people said, the hotels for guests are cheaper too. It's a bit unorthodox, but we haven't had any issues because of it yet!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards