Not Engaged Yet
Options

Anyone around?

I completely forgot my class was cancelled tonight so I drove all the way there just to turn back around. It's only like a 10 minute drive but still annoying. What is everyone up to tonight?

Re: Anyone around?

• Options
    Just finished a bowl of less-than-appetizing soup, and now watching some Mystery Science Theater 3000 on Netflix.
  • Options
    I waste so much time on Netflix. I'm currently re-watching the first season of Grey's Anatomy.

• Options
    I'm here - BF and I are curled up on the couch watching Twister on Netflix. He was watching Storm Chasers on Netflix and is on a kick.

I'm just...here I guess. I have a lot of mixed emotions and thoughts running through my head lately.

Why was class canceled, Beth?
  • Options
    My professor is at a conference. He told us about it I just forgot. What thoughts are running through your head?

• Options
    I'm here...and I have a serious question for you guys.

My brother just offered to give FI and I our entire honeymoon as a wedding gift (and we want to go to Hawaii).  I think that's too big of a gift.

What do you all think?
  • Options
    Wtf is going on in my life. The only good parts are some friends I've made here, my relationship with BF, aaaaand that's about it.

My work, while I enjoy the people I work with - I've been promised a lot of things, and they haven't even begun to come around. I feel like I'm floundering. My boss doesn't have the time to devote to training so that I can fully do my job, I feel like half the time I'm just spinning my wheels. Everyone calls me the BossLady, but I'm just a frickin' middle man.

I've applied for a bunch of jobs in TN (which is closer to family, and closer to somewhere I could be really happy), I haven't heard back from anyone, and I'm trying not to get/be discouraged. 

My sister is really having issues with depression, and i truly believe my mother is making it worse. L spent the weekend with me, and she was sooo miserable on the way back to school.  She wants to switch schools, move closer to my Grand units, and my mom is going to flip a lid. She only allowed my sister to apply to MSU, saying the out of state tuition was out of their price range - she basically railroaded her into giong where my mom and stepdad wanted her to.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_anyone-around-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:d54b0638-fab6-4b09-87d3-4f5e103fe80ePost:8cb63fa7-5117-4488-8957-495da01a2bc8">Re: Anyone around?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm here...and I have a serious question for you guys. My brother just offered to give FI and I our entire honeymoon as a wedding gift (and we want to go to Hawaii).  I think that's too big of a gift. What do you all think?
    Posted by loves2shop4shoes[/QUOTE]

I like to allow people to decide for themselves how generous they want to be. But I have two questions:

1) Is he reliable? Will he actually come through with this big of a gift?

2) Is it something he is going to hold over you? Will he constantly bring it up as if you owe him?

If the answer to number one is yes and the answer to number two is no then I think you allow him to give however big of a gift he wants because it's his call. Just like I don't think you should consider someone's gift too small and demand something bigger you shouldn't consider someone's gift to big and ask for something smaller. That's just my two cents.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_anyone-around-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:d54b0638-fab6-4b09-87d3-4f5e103fe80ePost:cfa57c29-c2b7-4977-9fab-7b2bdd86c49e">Re: Anyone around?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone around? : I like to allow people to decide for themselves how generous they want to be. But I have two questions: 1) Is he reliable? Will he actually come through with this big of a gift? 2) Is it something he is going to hold over you? Will he constantly bring it up as if you owe him? If the answer to number one is yes and the answer to number two is no then I think you allow him to give however big of a gift he wants because it's his call. Just like I don't think you should consider someone's gift too small and demand something bigger you shouldn't consider someone's gift to big and ask for something smaller. That's just my two cents.
    Posted by bethsmiles[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>All of this. </div>
  • Options
    can someone KUI for me, I am so over work today and need a drink. Sadly I have two more hours.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_anyone-around-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:d54b0638-fab6-4b09-87d3-4f5e103fe80ePost:9917880c-91e8-436c-93e7-d4136cc32028">Re: Anyone around?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wtf is going on in my life. The only good parts are some friends I've made here, my relationship with BF, aaaaand that's about it. My work, while I enjoy the people I work with - I've been promised a lot of things, and they haven't even begun to come around. I feel like I'm floundering. My boss doesn't have the time to devote to training so that I can fully do my job, I feel like half the time I'm just spinning my wheels. Everyone calls me the BossLady, but I'm just a frickin' middle man. I've applied for a bunch of jobs in TN (which is closer to family, and closer to somewhere I could be really happy), I haven't heard back from anyone, and I'm trying not to get/be discouraged.  My sister is really having issues with depression, and i truly believe my mother is making it worse. L spent the weekend with me, and she was sooo miserable on the way back to school.  She wants to switch schools, move closer to my Grand units, and my mom is going to flip a lid. She only allowed my sister to apply to MSU, saying the out of state tuition was out of their price range - she basically railroaded her into giong where my mom and stepdad wanted her to.
    Posted by IrishDreamer[/QUOTE]

*Hugs* Don't get discouraged on the job front. It's rough out there. If you need to do this to be happy then don't give up. Sometimes you just need to give it more time.

I"m really sorry to hear about your sister. Is she getting any help? Most schools offer counseling services to their students.Maybe you could talk to her about that? I know what it's like to be afraid to tell your parents what you want to do with your life when you know they will be upset. I have major anxiety issues about telling my mom anything, even good news. I think all you can do is be there for her and encourage her to get help for her issues with depression.

• Options
    My brother would never rescind that sort of offer.  And he genuinely wants to give it...and wouldn't hold it over my head.

I just think it's a BIG gift.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_anyone-around-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:d54b0638-fab6-4b09-87d3-4f5e103fe80ePost:8fc6b806-2bcd-413e-bea4-6ab589e14387">Re: Anyone around?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone around? : *Hugs* Don't get discouraged on the job front. It's rough out there. If you need to do this to be happy then don't give up. Sometimes you just need to give it more time. I"m really sorry to hear about your sister. Is she getting any help? Most schools offer counseling services to their students.Maybe you could talk to her about that? I know what it's like to be afraid to tell your parents what you want to do with your life when you know they will be upset. I have major anxiety issues about telling my mom anything, even good news. I think all you can do is be there for her and encourage her to get help for her issues with depression.

<div>My mom has had her going to see a therapist for a few months now - and she has been put on 4 or 5 different antidepressants. Most recently was Prozac, which made her effing crazy. It made her so anxious, fidgety and ridiculous. She couldn't sit still for more than 5-10 minutes. She is on Cymbalta now, and it takes 4-5 weeks to kick in, and she's on week 2-3. It's making her crazy. She doesn't know what to do with herself. She is a mess.</div>
  • Options
    I'm watching The X-Files on Netflix and writing a list of questions for Tyler's mom to ask the doctor regarding his currently hospitalized grandma. Tomorrow is my day off, so I have a bunch of appointments and then an organ performance at the Nashville symphony hall tomorrow night.

And if my most obnoxious coworker doesn't stop showing me pictures of her infant, announcing to me that she's heading off to pump or using the baby as an excuse to leave work early when things are half finished, imma lose my damn mind.

• Options
    Shoes - I think you should just accept it. Yes it is a BIG gift but it's his choice to give it. Just be happy about it! :)

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_anyone-around-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:d54b0638-fab6-4b09-87d3-4f5e103fe80ePost:09f01467-213d-4cb3-a5fb-04127d58000f">Re: Anyone around?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My brother would never rescind that sort of offer.  And he genuinely wants to give it...and wouldn't hold it over my head. I just think it's a BIG gift.

<div>My sister would do something like this.</div><div>
    </div><div>If it's what he reaaaaally wants to do, I would let him. Maybe do something nice (not necessarily that extravagant, but something significant) for him for a birthday, anniversary, something - just to show you appreciate him.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_anyone-around-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:d54b0638-fab6-4b09-87d3-4f5e103fe80ePost:482a0472-4c62-43ec-847a-1af81ddb5d6d">Re: Anyone around?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone around? : It is, but why is that a problem?  
    Posted by yaga13[/QUOTE]

I don't know.  I just feel like he's young and he could do a lot with that same money.
  • Options
    We all make financial decisions and there is always something else we could do with the money. It doesn't always have to be the most practical thing. My guess is that if he is a responsible person then you should trust that this is what he has chosen and wants to do with the money.

• Options
    Irish - I love you.  You've heard everything I have to say on the subjects, so, I'm not going to repeat here.  But damnit woman, I was hoping to talk to you today.  ALL DAY.  And then you weren't on.  Tomorrow?  Boss man is out.  And Wednesday.

Shoes - I think that's awesome.  And while I too would be hesitant about accepting, if he is completely being genuine about it, it is not your place to decline.  My brother would do something similar (and I have to admit, thinking about him doing that scares the living daylights out of me.  Somehow it terrifies me to admit that I'm loved that much).

Molly - NEVER FEAR.  I am KUI.

I'm watching Ghost Whisperer on Netflix.  BF was all adament about skyping tonight, and then when he got on, he was playing a video game with his roommate.  So, I told him to go play and we'd talk later.  Boys are dumb.
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Shoes, I would accept it. He offered on his own.  What a wonderful gift!!
    Used to be bourgehm. +1,500 posts. Silly knot
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_anyone-around-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:d54b0638-fab6-4b09-87d3-4f5e103fe80ePost:507424c3-09dd-40b8-8186-58555636c8b8">Re: Anyone around?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Irish - I love you.  You've heard everything I have to say on the subjects, so, I'm not going to repeat here.  But damnit woman, I was hoping to talk to you today.  ALL DAY.  And then you weren't on.  Tomorrow?  Boss man is out.  And Wednesday</strong>. Shoes - I think that's awesome.  And while I too would be hesitant about accepting, if he is completely being genuine about it, it is not your place to decline.  My brother would do something similar (and I have to admit, thinking about him doing that scares the living daylights out of me.  Somehow it terrifies me to admit that I'm loved that much). Molly - NEVER FEAR.  I am KUI. I'm watching Ghost Whisperer on Netflix.  BF was all adament about skyping tonight, and then when he got on, he was playing a video game with his roommate.  So, I told him to go play and we'd talk later.  Boys are dumb.
    Posted by peekaboo2011[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I love you too. I'm just..... blech. I <3 that you are there for me. I am so glad I have you. I'm one lucky chick.</div><div>
    I'm sorry I wasn't on today.... I was out of the office most of the day running materials and then when I got back I was slammed busy, and then my internet/phone server went down. Stupid effing thing. </div><div>
    </div><div>

</div>
  • Options
    FI and I accepted it.  OMG...I'm going to have a honeymoon!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_anyone-around-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:d54b0638-fab6-4b09-87d3-4f5e103fe80ePost:389a731b-a8b6-4a3e-a86e-972763011f95">Re: Anyone around?</a>:
    [QUOTE]FI and I accepted it.  OMG...I'm going to have a honeymoon!

That is great Shoes! You have a fantastic brother :)

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_anyone-around-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:d54b0638-fab6-4b09-87d3-4f5e103fe80ePost:28585bb5-289a-48b7-a68c-2c5840f763f6">Re: Anyone around?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone around? : That is great Shoes! You have a fantastic brother :)

That I do.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_anyone-around-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:d54b0638-fab6-4b09-87d3-4f5e103fe80ePost:e3f18e9a-5da8-423f-8931-b1b22972ce6f">Re: Anyone around?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just finished a bowl of less-than-appetizing soup, and now watching some Mystery Science Theater 3000 on Netflix.
    Posted by HULU[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I love MST 3000!!!! Just had to share now going back to eating dinner mashed potatoes and some wine.

</div>

Anniversary

• Options
    I really dislike how dead the board has become. What is up with this board lately?

• Options
    The boards have been really sucky lately. I wish they would fix whatever the problems are.

• Options

I hate it too.  I am here but only sporadically because I am studying.  Trying to keep on top of it after wasting the whole weekend doing nothing....  :(

I am also really over TK being stupid.

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    Being responsible is overrated lol. Actually I wish I had homework to do. I expected my masters program to be more work. I think I could finish this 2 year program easily in a year if they offered enough credits for me to take.

• Options
    Actually I am totally shooting myself in the foot but I was in such a funky mood I couldn't do anything!  Oh well, I'm making progress now. 
    Lol Do it Beth! I bet you could because you are awesome!!
    How was your weekend?
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    Haha...I would but they only offer a maximum of 9 credits each semester basically forcing you to do the program in a minimum of 2 years. It's lame. My weekend was blah. BF planned this whole romantic weekend and then we had to push it back because he has three tests this week he needed to study for. I thought we might do it this coming weekend but I have a mandatory work meeting on Sunday and his friends finally decided they have time to celebrate his birthday so we won't be doing it next weekend either. Oh well.

When do you graduate?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards