Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

plated vrs buffet question

Are you doing/ did you do plated or buffet? We are having a hard time deciding. I really dont want to make a seating chart so I am leaning towards buffet. What are your opinions either way?

Thanks!!.

Re: plated vrs buffet question

• That was our dilemma. I was getting stressed out just thinking about a seating chart and it overwhelmed the both of us. We decided to go with buffet.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think it depends on how many guests you have. Anything over 100 and I would go with plated. Buffets can take a long time to go through if you have more than 100 guests.

We went with plated. Yeah, seating charts can be a pain, but it wasn't so bad. Also, as a guest I'd rather go to a wedding with a seating chart. Otherwise you run the risk of being the only person at a table of people you don't know, or if you're a couple you might not be able to sit together, etc.
  • We're doing a buffet of sorts and also planning on doing a seating chart. The idea of people not knowing where to sit stresses me out and it would stress me out if I was a guest attending a wedding where I wasn't assigned a seat. We're having our reception at Solera. For us, the cost of plated food vs doing a bunch of paellas and small appetizer type plates was very different. Much more cost effective for us to do more of a buffet style dinner.
  • We did a buffet and there were 150 people at our wedding.  I thought it went fairly quickly, and I didn't hear any complaints about it.  We still did a seating chart, though.  I had limited seating so I was going to have to do a seating chart, regardless.  I like buffets because you can go up and get seconds if you want or you can take as much of whatever you want, so I really wanted a buffet.  Plus, the caterer we decided on only does buffet style, so it all worked out.

So In Love

Josh and Renata's Wedding

Planning Bio

• We did plated. 

I think that it is nice for your guests to take the time to do a seating chart.  I was able to knock mine out on my bus ride home one afternoon.  Every wedding i've been to without one has been a little chaotic with peole trying to cram more people at a table than there are seats because people don't want to sit with someone they don't know or grandma gets shoved to a back corner because other people took the closer tables.  When we did ours, I made sure that everyone was seated with at least one person they already knew (or if they didn't know them already, that they had mutual interests and would have things to talk about).  
  • In Response to Re:plated vrs buffet question:[QUOTE]I think it depends on how many guests you have. Anything over 100 and I would go with plated. Buffets can take a long time to go through if you have more than 100 guests.We went with plated. Yeah, seating charts can be a pain, but it wasn't so bad. Also, as a guest I'd rather go to a wedding with a seating chart. Otherwise you run the risk of being the only person at a table of people you don't know, or if you're a couple you might not be able to sit together, etc. Posted by Cackle6[/QUOTE]

All of this. As a guest, I personally hate it when there's no assigned seating. Every wedding that I've been to like this, there has always been one of our friends who has to sit with strangers. I know it's only for dinner, which is not a long time. However, it is just not very fun to be that that person.

We did plated and making a seating chart really wasn't as big of a deal as it seems. We had a little over 100 guests.
    "All that I'm after is a lifetime of laughter, as long as I'm laughing with you"
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
    Photobucket
    My Crafting Blog
    Married Bio
  • We were planning on doing plated until our venue worked with us on cost and gave us the buffet (same meal - but more food available) for less.  It works out good because people can take what they want and go up for seconds.  My main concern about the reception is people not getting enough food!!  
  • We are doing buffet, but first a salad and rolls will be served family style, so people can eat that while they wait to go through the buffet line. Because of limited seating we are still doing a seating chart. Vegetarians and children will get their meals plated and served. =)
    siggyaugust Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards