• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
May 2010 Weddings

the night before the wedding

I know I'm not going to be able to sleep the night before the wedding so I had planned on taking a tylenol PM before bed. Granted I have to get up early the morning of the wedding but I figured if I went to bed early I would wake up fine (I usually do). When I told two of my friends here at work what I was going to do they both kept telling me not to, that I would have bags under my eyes and be half asleep at the wedding (its at 10am). I've taken tylenol PM before and been fine. What do you ladies think? Should I take it or not? Anyone else doing this?
Two souls and one thought, two hearts and one pulse image Anniversary

Re: the night before the wedding

• If you've taken it before and been fine, you shouldn't have any issues if you take it early enough to be out of your system by morning.

Tylenol PM is OTC and isn't like Ambien or another Rx that's designed specifically to knock you out for sleeping and you're only taking 1 so it shouldn't give you problems, I am thinking.
    The Bump ate my signature. DD - Apr 2011 DS - expected June 2013
  • I'm taking half an ambien the night before.  I've done it before and I woke up fine the next day.  If you've taken tylenol PM before and didn't have any problems, then I think you should be ok.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Tylenol PM is my go-to drug. haha. that sounds horrible, but it's never given me bags under my eyes or anything. Just make sure you take it early enough, that's all.
  • You know how your body reacts to it, and each person will react differently. Go with your own experience. Plus, your makeup will be able to cover up and bags under your eyes.
    PhotobucketAnniversary Holiday
  • You should be fine. Im thinking about taking a sleep aid medicine just because I know I will not be able to sleep either. And I am going to need all the beauty rest I can get.
  • I like the idea of taking half a pill to knock me out like stu's doing, I might do that.

• I practiced with it the weeks before I took the bar exam and didn't have a problem, but I don't like to take medicine I don't need.  I was happy when I discovered that otc Benedryl has the same active sleep aid ingredient without the acetaminophen.  HOWEVER, that was four years ago so check that they are still the same.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I think it's a little risky simply because you have to get up so early. For me, getting up early even if I go to bed at a decent time means the sleeping pill doesn't have enough time to wear off and I'm groggy.

I'd suggest trying melatonin. It's a natural supplement (found in the vitamin section). It helps you fall asleep without the "hangover" side effect in the morning. I was amazed at how fast I fell asleep (and stayed asleep) and was still able to wake up wtihout a problem. You can get it in 3 and 5 mg. I take 5, but took half that the night before my wedding.

*Sorry, April knottie invading your board but ours is dead with so many on their honeymoons and I am bored at work. So, I've been lurking on yours.
  • I'm definitely doing benedryl or nyquil. I already have bad allergies so i'm taking something for sleep and my sniffles! but i don't have to wake up RIDICULOUSLY early
  • I'll be getting up at time I do on a normal day (6:30am) thats just early for a Saturday. I think I'll be fine, thanks girls!
  • Everyone reacts differently. Myself, I can pop 3 Tylenol PMs and still be just as awake hours later. You know your body better than anyone else does.

I'm planning to take NyQuil the night before. It tends to lull me to sleep more gradually but effectively than the straight sleep aids or Tylenol PMs; I find that with those, if I don't go under in the first wave of drowsiness, they don't do me much good. A lot of people swear by Benadryl, but it does nothing for me. Do what works for you. :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Matt & Kelly
    Anniversary
  • I agree with pp's.  Each body reacts differently.  I plan on taking something to sleep the night before...FI is staying at the hotel with his brothers the night before, and I never sleep well without him at home.  I'm thinking of trying out the PM meds as a test run over the next few weeks to test my reaction, so I can plan accordingly.

Dr. Googs is married to Mr. Pelvis. Happily ever after!
  • I literally shuddered reading that. The thought alone of their being even a REMOTE possibility of you being groggy or not waking up on time or any other terrible scenario is not something I'd risk. Calcium helps you sleep as well as melatonin..maybe a natural option would be better if you are really set on taking something.
  • In Response to Re: the night before the wedding:
    I. I'd suggest trying melatonin. It's a natural supplement (found in the vitamin section). It helps you fall asleep without the "hangover" side effect in the morning. I was amazed at how fast I fell asleep (and stayed asleep) and was still able to wake up wtihout a problem. You can get it in 3 and 5 mg. Posted by Seshat411
    I totally agree I give melatonin to my daughter that has trouble sleeping it has helped her so much!!!

You can come over to the May board all you want!!!
  • I'm a pharmacist, and I agree with the other posts.  You know how your body will react and that's the best guide you can go by.  If you've taken it before without any problems, you should be fine.  Otherwise, you could consider taking Melatonin (although the data has the most support with jet lag and shift work) or even taking Benadryl (the PM in tylenol PM) by itself. 
    If you are going to try the melatonin, I'd make sure you take a dose a few days before and practice your sleep-wake schedule. 
    I occasionally take 1/2 of a generic Benadryl tablet to get to sleep, and I do just fine the next day. 
    Also, if you do have bags under your eyes, Preparation-H (yes I know it's for hemmorhoids) works wonders.
    Good Luck!
  • I'm planning on taking it, but I'm not even doing hair and make-up until 12. (Pictures at 3, wedding at 6.) With yours so early, I'd be nervous, but like all the other ladies say, everyone's body is different. You may be fine.
    Anniversary
  • Benedryl is a miracle drug for me.  i am totally taking it the night before.
    imageAnniversaryimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards