July 2012 Weddings

Just got our first wedding/shower gift minor vent

It was from my aunt and uncle. It was a couple pot holders, tealights and a ceramic plate that they made. I don't want to sound ungrateful but the plate actually kind of hurt my feelings. 1st off, they misspelled my name, 2nd it looked like it had been kind of thrown together. That sounds really mean but I've seen all the pieces they've made for everyone else in the family and they're of much higher quality. I really appreciate the thought that went into it but it was kind of like gee... thanks.

Whatever, I know my hurt feelings are petty and I'll get over it. They meant well and that's what I should be thankful for.

Re: Just got our first wedding/shower gift minor vent

• Aw...that stinks, especially that they mispelled your name!  I'm sorry! :(
    :)AJ Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yeah, as soon as I opened it I was like how on earth did you misspell my name? Haven't you known me for 26 years, received a save the date, shower invitation and wedding invitation ALL with my name spelled correctly on it?

The quality part is shallow on my end I suppose... Although at the same time it makes me wonder because my aunt isn't coming to the shower (I know people have things to do), she misspelled my name and lumped both gifts into one... Kinda seemed like "there ya go I'm done with it". Or, maybe I'm just reading too much into it! That's probably what it is.
  • The misspelling of my name (by my own family) would really hurt me. It's nice that they made you something, although it's odd that the quality is not the same as it normally is.  You could be honest and tell them your name was misspelled. They might be compelled to make you another piece and perhaps even nicer.  Or you could let it go.  

Still, why wouldn't they just look at your invitation to verify how your name is spelled? That's just plain wrong.
  • How off was she with misspelling your name? Just wondering. I'm sorry, this sucks. You'll get better gifts. Just forget about this.
    doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm sorry your name is misspelled.  Maybe ask her about it and maybe she will make you a new one? That's kind of crappy too that yours were of lower quality for whatever reason, maybe she was having an off-day?

Anniversary
  • I can't believe they misspelled your name :( At least you have the other gifts that sound nice! I would definitely be frustrated too... people misspell my name all the time. 
    imageAnniversary
  • My aunt for 28 years spells my name MIchele instead of Michelle, so yeah, I know the feeling. It's annoying and kinda like uh, hello!? Plus, Michelle with one L makes my skin crawl. 

Anywho, I'm sure your feelings of the misspelt name is having an effect on your feelings to the gift as a whole- including the quality thing. So, yeah, just concentrate on 'it's the thought that counts' thing.

Anxiously awaiting baby #1! Baby BOY Due: May 30, 2013! Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Ugh, I am sorry, that totally sucks. Some of my best friends - even after knowing me for YEARS - still combine my name (I am Mary Beth, not Marybeth or Maribeth or Mary-Beth or any combination thereof).  People just don't get that when they don't get it right, we get offended. 

I also am curious how "off" they were - and seriously, if I was ever making a gift, I would confirm the names. 

As others have said - you will get better gifts. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_just-got-our-first-weddingshower-gift-minor-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:93616a8e-11ea-4c66-916d-2d1d0fbaabf9Post:dfec59ce-7dee-471c-9554-133f09748acb">Re: Just got our first wedding/shower gift minor vent</a>:
    [QUOTE]My aunt for 28 years spells my name MIchele instead of Michelle, so yeah, I know the feeling. It's annoying and kinda like uh, hello!? <strong>Plus, Michelle with one L makes my skin crawl. </strong> Anywho, I'm sure your feelings of the misspelt name is having an effect on your feelings to the gift as a whole- including the quality thing. So, yeah, just concentrate on 'it's the thought that counts' thing.
    Posted by mbody[/QUOTE]

that isn't my name, but I totally agree with you...no offense to anyone who spells their name that way...but yeah...totally odd with one L...
  • People still misspell my sisters name and she is 24. It kinda just happens and she just has to let it go. Her name is KIRSTIN but everyone seems to always spell it KIRSTEN.
    pregnancy calendar
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_just-got-our-first-weddingshower-gift-minor-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:93616a8e-11ea-4c66-916d-2d1d0fbaabf9Post:dfec59ce-7dee-471c-9554-133f09748acb">Re: Just got our first wedding/shower gift minor vent</a>:
    [QUOTE]My aunt for 28 years spells my name MIchele instead of Michelle, so yeah, I know the feeling. It's annoying and kinda like uh, hello!? Plus, <strong>Michelle with one L makes my skin crawl.</strong>  Anywho, I'm sure your feelings of the misspelt name is having an effect on your feelings to the gift as a whole- including the quality thing. So, yeah, just concentrate on 'it's the thought that counts' thing.
    Posted by mbody[/QUOTE]

My coordinator's name is Michele and I kept spelling it Michelle in all of emails to her for the first few months. I finally realized that it was Michele like 2 months ago and felt really bad. But I agree, it just doesn't look right to me with one L. I guess only b/c I hadn't seen it spelled that way before. I'm sure she gets ppl spelling it with two L's more than you get it with one.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh I just remembered- my name is Katie or Katherine. My grandmother spelled my name "Katy" until the day she died. I hated that name. I could never understand why she'd spell my name that way!
    doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Instead of spelling my name correctly (Tanya), FI's stepmother spells my name Tayna. Seriously? Tayna is not even pronounced the same as my name! 

I think if someone knows you long enough, they should learn to spell your name correctly. There really aren't any excuses.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_just-got-our-first-weddingshower-gift-minor-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:93616a8e-11ea-4c66-916d-2d1d0fbaabf9Post:71c5e6cf-9ba7-40ee-bd47-9b663660d3c2">Re: Just got our first wedding/shower gift minor vent</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry your name is misspelled.  Maybe ask her about it and maybe she will make you a new one? That's kind of crappy too that yours were of lower quality for whatever reason, maybe she was having an off-day?
    Posted by michelle11988[/QUOTE]

I don't have the heart to tell her she misspelled it. I think like someone else said that the lower quality that I saw was probably a reflection of my name. She was off by 1 letter and it's a common misspelling but I think I was just really like WTF because it's a wedding plate that's supposed to be displayed and kept forever. So, forever I'll look at this plate with my name misspelled lol. Oh well it's not that big of a deal. I still love her regardless!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards