Outdoor Weddings
Options

dirt floor

Hi all!

I'm getting married in a beautiful barn with a dirt floor. It's very compact, but a light, sandy dirt. I've googled the crap out of ideas for covering it, and have basically limited myself to some sort of thick, canvas-like landscape cloth, or buying particle board (which will cost about $2500) I mean, $2500 isn't that bad considering I don't have to pay to rent a hall/venue.

But as a last resort, I'm asking complete strangers to brainstorm for me!

Covering with hay is not an option, even though it's a popular suggestion I've read - how would those with allergies deal with it!

Re: dirt floor

• Options
    I would think the black landscaping cloth that nurseries use would work.  These are the black clothes they use within the nursery to set flowers and plants on.

Hope that helps :)

• Options
    I would see about gettting somthing like a tarp ( not actuallly a tarp) or special sheets that have a special logo on them.$2500 is way to much to spend on just covering the floor. The covering would also depend on if your having a theemed wedding. If you waat to to be on the country side I would leave it as is with an isle runner for you to walk on.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You wouldn't cover the floor with hay (animal feed - green in color) you'd cover it with straw (animal bedding - yellow in color).

Why do you need to cover it?  Is this for your dress not getting dirty? or for any additional reason?

If the ground is packed really tightly then you might be able to use an aisle runner. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I know the difference between hay and straw, in terms of feed/bedding. Both of which are awful for people with allergies.

I'm worried about my dress, about my guests' comfort, etc. etc. The dirt is really sandy, and I know before long everyone will be dirty, even though it is packed pretty hard.
  • Options
    All the rental places have dance floors, but nothing big enough to suit my needs. I'm from a pretty small area though.

I contacted our local arena, they're going to check and see if they're allowed to rent out their floating floors (ie - that they'd use to cover ice surface in event of a tradeshow or something).
  • Options
    If you want to go the particle board route, maybe you can find someone who uses a lot of it and would be willing to pre-agree to buy it from you after the wedding?

If you know anyone in construction, maybe they could get you a discount to begin with.  Or someone who frames houses or such might even be willing to let you 'borrow' some plywood for the day to use as a floor?

Another idea is to get a dance floor as big as you can and then use a variety of rugs in other high-traffice areas.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards