New Jersey

North Jersey Venues

My fiance and I are lookng at A LOT of places this week. We've already seen the Park Savoy in Florham Park, and the Tides Estate in North Haledon. I've seen great reviews of the Tides and a friend of ours was married at the Park Savoy so we know those are both great choices. We're also looking at the following places:

West Mount Country Club in Woodland Park
Nanina's in the Park in Belleville
The Graycliff in Moonachie
Fiesta in Wood-Ridge (Fiance's parents were married there)
Indian Trail Club in Franklin Lakes
Hamilton Park Hotel in Florham Park
Park Avenue Club in Florham Park
Bear Mountain Inn in Bear Mountain, NY
Stone House at Stirling Ridge in Stirling
Seasons in Washington
Mansion at Bretton Woods in Morris Plains
Mohawk House in Sparta (this is a restaurant but a friend recommended it to me)

We're looking to stay at or below $125pp for a Saturday DAY wedding in summer 2012. Any information or reviews would be SO helpful! TIA!
Wedding Countdown Ticker image170 Made the cut!
image 134 Are ready to celebrate!
image 36 Are missing out!
image 0 Are making us wait!

Re: North Jersey Venues

• smw42smw42 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you received prices on any of those and do you have appointments?

I know for Nanina's in the Park in Belleville- I was quoted something near the $300's.

Park Ave Club- A friend got married there and her parents had to become members in order for her to be married there. I would look into that for sure.

Stone House- I was quoted much higher than $125 for November Saturday evening so I'm not sure how low you'll get with them.

How strict are you with your budget? Also do not forget tax+ grat, which typically adds up to 25% (18+7%) in addition to the price/head.

I would be very careful visiting venues that are near double the budget for a number of reasons aside from just being a waste of time- you're going to either fall in love with a venue much much higher than you have budgeted and agonize over things, or you're going to overlook/underestimate venues in your price range because you're going to be comparing them to the $200++ venues that you've already seen.
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I've either spoken to or booked appointments to view all of them. I had heard otherwise about Nanina's! I knew it would be towards the high end, if not higher than the $120. Park Savoy was $150 and that's really the most we are even considering. A friend of mine worked for Park Ave and I have not heard anything about membership from her or from the employee I spoke to to make my appt, but maybe it's something they save until you love it haha I'm hoping some of these places will be much cheaper for a day wedding than a Saturday night wedding like we've seen so far.
  • goaliegirlgoaliegirl member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I would say ditch the Fiesta..I have never heard a good thing about the place.   Although they are undergoing renovations from what it looks like driving by, I have heard terrible things about the food.

I agree with Sherri...some of the places you have listed are going to be a bit more than 125pp even for a daytime wedding.   I would say that Westmount CC would be higher than that by quite a bit, and of course the others that Sherri listed.    I agree that you should try to get a ballpark figure for price per person before visiting, because some of the more expensive venues you listed are very nice and you may fall in love with one and not be able to afford it.
  • edited December 2011
    Can you just request prices over the phone or email or whatever? For some reason, I thought they wouldn't give out that info prior to meeting. I'll DEFINITELY ask! PS - my fiance really wanted to look at the Fiesta because his parents were married there 28 years ago, but I thought the same! lol
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_north-jersey-venus?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:e4f4319a-f8c4-4f37-be9a-94bcc86484f7Post:ab39c3a6-d22f-46e5-a251-5ed4edcc3956">Re: North Jersey Venues</a>:
    [QUOTE]Can you just request prices over the phone or email or whatever? For some reason, I thought they wouldn't give out that info prior to meeting. I'll DEFINITELY ask! PS - my fiance really wanted to look at the Fiesta because his parents were married there 28 years ago, but I thought the same! lol
    Posted by LindsayMeg[/QUOTE]

I was able to get pricing information from most venues prior to meeting via email.   In addition, I asked for feedback on here as many girls have used the venues and have an idea of what ballpark figures might be.  Of course you are always able to negotiate and some places are better with that than others.    You just have places that are all over the board price wise on your list so I would be wary of looking at some of them knowing they will be way out of your range that you listed previously.
    edited December 2011
    Forgot to add...is your $125pp including tax and tip or before??  Because if it is before keep in mind that your approx price with tax and tip for $125pp will be around $160 if I am adding correctly.     That makes a big difference when having an event for 150 people!
  • cindy9178cindy9178 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree, I got pricing from every venue over the phone or thru email before visiting them, and if they refused to give me pricing, I didn't visit them.
    Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid Dresses
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • tstrayer27tstrayer27 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    $125 without tax and gratuity is possible at the Westmount CC if you are doing it during the day on a Saturday. That is where I am getting married and we are paying less than that for Saturday during the day (again without tax and gratuity). They did not give me prices over the phone (I didn't ask either) and they have a minimum of 125 people. You do have to negotiate as they will work with you to a certain extent.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

The Stone House is $175 pp for a cocktail reception.
    Bretton Woods was $85pp but we hated it, felt like a funeral parlor.
    Id recommed you go see Primavera, The Grand Summit Hotel, Berkeley Plaza, and Twin Brooks CC (all in same area/road) We went with The Grand Summit. Have fun!

• NJgurl19NJgurl19 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The WMCC is way over your budget. I also got pricing over the phone or email before I went to the venues.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Wahoo217Wahoo217 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We were originally looking for daytime wedding in March to save $$. The Westmount was going to be around $141 after taxes & gratuity. The Venetian was willing to work with us a little and I believe it was $95 before the taxes..but again in March. I did call the Stone House and I remember it being more than your budget as well. Hope this helps.
  • edited December 2011
    It's best to call sometimes to get specifics. Many places quoted me prices via email but when I called the prices were actually much more because they didn't mention the stuff that was included (like linens, tables, cocktails, etc). 
  • yoko2011yoko2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bear Mt should be in your price range, if I recall when I got quotes. For any venue, I'd call and get pricing - confirm if it's before service charges/tax/tip and what it includes - even ball park starting price before trekking to them. Some will e-mail you pricing and have it on their web sites. The caveat to the pricing is you modify packages but it should give you an idea of if you're in range. It saves you from wasting yours and their time and if they can't take a few minutes on the phone with this it makes me wonder what happens after you sign contracts. GL
  • edited December 2011
    Good points, thanks everyone! I honestly don't know why I thought they wouldn't give prices via phone or email, definitely a waste of time for all if out o my price range. The $125 is before tip and tax. We would like to keep it there or below if possible but know that it may be impossible especially given the places we're interested in. We just saw the West Mount tonight and it was beautiful and so much food! They quoted us pretty low ($115pp) for Sat day so I'm excited! Still lots more to look at. I really appreciate all of your tips and suggestions! I'm just learning all of this and am the first of my friends to be planning a wedding...so thank you all!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_north-jersey-venus?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:e4f4319a-f8c4-4f37-be9a-94bcc86484f7Post:cc90af21-6e87-4313-9b16-3a00231c9b6b">Re: North Jersey Venues</a>:
    [QUOTE]Bear Mt should be in your price range, if I recall when I got quotes. For any venue, I'd call and get pricing - confirm if it's before service charges/tax/tip and what it includes - even ball park starting price before trekking to them. Some will e-mail you pricing and have it on their web sites. The caveat to the pricing is you modify packages but it should give you an idea of if you're in range. It saves you from wasting yours and their time and if they can't take a few minutes on the phone with this it makes me wonder what happens after you sign contracts. GL
    Posted by yoko2011[/QUOTE]
    I'm assuming you didn't book at bear mtn. Can you say why? A friend mentioned it isn't as nice as I'm picturing but I love the pictures (which can always be deceiving) and the merry go round! I'll have to look myself but your opinion is much appreciated. The place also holds sentimental value as my family went here when I was little for bear festival where they bought me a Teddy bear bride! Ironic haha thank you again!!!
  • michelle221michelle221 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Seasons is highly recommended. Their food and service is unbeatable and the place is very pretty. Speak to Carl, he will try his best to negotiate a fair price for what you want. Good Luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I am getting married at The Tides on July 20, 2012 we just loved it.  The price was great and I think the venue is beautiful.  We will be getting married outside in the gardens :)

GL with your search!
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I looked at a lot of these places for a Saturday evening so this is what I remember- BTW we are getting a married at Hamilton Park Hotel in exactly 100 days!

West Mount Country Club in Woodland Park- over $125pp and I believe had a 150 person minimum
    Nanina's in the Park in Belleville- when we were quoted it was about $200pp w/ a 150 min- too bad I loved how it looked
    The Graycliff in Moonachie- budget friendly- didnt check it out but know ppl who got married there and it was very nice
    Fiesta in Wood-Ridge (Fiance's parents were married there)- my parents got married there too haha- according to my mom it was "the" place to get married back then- havent heard good things recently

Hamilton Park Hotel in Florham Park- for a daytime, this would def work in your budget- for Saturday night we are at $156pp w/ tax/grat - great place, awesome food, and the people that you work w/ are awesome- let me know if u have questions- we liked it was modern

Park Avenue Club in Florham Park- I was quoted close to $160pp before tax
    Stone House at Stirling Ridge in Stirling - quoted around $175pp
    Mansion at Bretton Woods in Morris Plains- budget friendly and beautiful grounds outside, but inside is a weird setup and I havent heard good things about the food

Mohawk House in Sparta (this is a restaurant but a friend recommended it to me)- I was there for dinner the other night, its cool looking, but I cant imagine it can hold a big wedding, if your having a small wedding it may work

Good luck!
  • redroses333redroses333 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Primavera Regency - Saturday DAY wedding is about $65 per person... excellent reviews!
  • edited December 2011
    Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd update after my search in case someone needs this information in the future!

West Mount Country Club in Woodland Park - Very extensive cocktail hour, literally couldn't ask for more - $115pp July DAY
    Nanina's in the Park in Belleville - Also very extensive with their menu, absolutely beautiful, one of our favorites! $110pp July DAY
    The Graycliff in Moonachie - Started around $78pp I think?
    Fiesta in Wood-Ridge (Fiance's parents were married there) - Their new room they're building is actually gorgeous, just the area/views aren't that great plus no outdoor areas for pictures Started around $70pp I think?
    Indian Trail Club in Franklin Lakes - Didn't look, don't like the idea of members possibly being at the facility
    Hamilton Park Hotel in Florham Park - Very contemporary look and AMAZING MENU! Their bar Vanderbilt's would be a great after party spot! 2 different packages: starting at $105pp or $115pp July DAY
    Park Avenue Club in Florham Park - One of our favorites! Love the rustic look and exclusivity, Starting at $95pp DAY
    Seasons in Washington Twp. - Very beautiful, If I remember correctly it was around $125pp

We ended up not looking at the other ones because I think we fell in love with Park Ave. All of those prices are before gratuity and taxes!

Thanks for everyone's help!
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats! Thats right across the street from my venue and looks beautiful! We r having our afterparty at Vanderbilts so I can review if for you after :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards