Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

Day-before party for out-of-towners

Dear Philly-savvy planners, I need your help!

Our wedding is on a Sunday and so we'd like to have an informal party the day before to host our out-of-town guests and spend more time we get to spend with our friends. We don't want to break the bank on this (e.g., by catering another wedding!), but I'm also wary of taking on a lot of other planning the day-before (e.g., a total DIY cookout).

Does anyone have any ideas for fun, maybe indoor-outdoor restaurants/bars/other in downtown Philly where we could have this? E.g., I heard there was a new biergarten somewhere? We're thinking mid-day or late afternoon-evening to avoid doing a big dinner event and so people don't get too drunk! :)

Thanks!

Re: Day-before party for out-of-towners

• lauren123455lauren123455 member
    First Comment
    edited August 2012
    There are a few new biergartens in Philly --- Frankford Hall opened last year by one of the big Philly restauranteers, Steven Starr.  Great beer selection and they have lots of neat spaces to hang out and ping pong tables. Another one opened up right on the riverfront called Morgan's Pier.  I haven't been there yet but have heard great things.  In all likelihood, however, both of those options will require cabs for your guests, as they're not really within walking distance of most of the hotels in the city. 

There are tons of bars and restaurants in Philly, and I think a lot of them will offer some sort of open bar package at a fixed rate.  (That's not to assume you want your party to be a binge drinking fest --- but a lot of times the fixed rate is less expensive than the regular bar tab).  I don't know of any indoor/outdoor places with party packages offhand.

We had our RD at Bridget Foys on South Street, and they have a pretty great private party space with its own bar.  They'll do hors d'oeuvres parties for as low as $7/person, and I think the open bar was something like $9 per person per hour.  So depending upon how many guests you have, that could be fairly reasonable.

We also looked at a BBQ restaurant called Smokin Bettys that is one of our faves.  There you can select a few apps to have out, and they'll do an open bar package or offer drink specials to help keep the bar tab down. 

Check out Open Table's private dining section.  That has links to lots of places in Philly that offer group dining, and some of them may also offer non-meal party options. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_day-before-party-for-our-of-towners?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:36af4ef6-3786-4500-94e3-446edd052f34Post:8fec6c91-a5cc-4ab3-aa95-54346780fc1f">Re: Day-before party for out-of-towners</a>:
    [QUOTE]There are a few new biergartens in Philly --- Frankford Hall opened last year by one of the big Philly restauranteers, Steven Starr.  Great beer selection and they have lots of neat spaces to hang out and ping pong tables. Another one opened up right on the riverfront called Morgan's Pier.  I haven't been there yet but have heard great things.  In all likelihood, however, both of those options will require cabs for your guests, as they're not really within walking distance of most of the hotels in the city.  There are tons of bars and restaurants in Philly, and I think a lot of them will offer some sort of open bar package at a fixed rate.  (That's not to assume you want your party to be a binge drinking fest --- but a lot of times the fixed rate is less expensive than the regular bar tab).  I don't know of any indoor/outdoor places with party packages offhand. We had our RD at Bridget Foys on South Street, and they have a pretty great private party space with its own bar.  They'll do hors d'oeuvres parties for as low as $7/person, and I think the open bar was something like $9 per person per hour.  So depending upon how many guests you have, that could be fairly reasonable. We also looked at a BBQ restaurant called Smokin Bettys that is one of our faves.  There you can select a few apps to have out, and they'll do an open bar package or offer drink specials to help keep the bar tab down.  Check out Open Table's private dining section.  That has links to lots of places in Philly that offer group dining, and some of them may also offer non-meal party options. 
    Posted by lauren123455[/QUOTE]

Thanks SO much! this is really helpful! I'm going to check out your RD spot.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards