Offbeat Weddings

Beer Theme

Anybody ever attempt a beer theme? My fiance is really big into craft beers and local brews and has recently dragged me into it (I have no clue how as 4 months ago I hated beer and suddenly started to love it). Anyway, I'm having a very hard time trying to figure out how to do this without making it super tacky. We have been collecting growlers from local breweries for months now and I really want to use them as our centerpieces but I have no clue how to go about doing this. We also brew our own beer and would love to give that away as favors but I have to check with the venue to see if that's ok. I also played around with personalizing pint glasses but it turns out they are about the same price to ship them as they are to make them and I'm not about to spend $250 on pint glasses. I've seen tons of cool can cozies too but that really isn't our style.

Has anybody done this? Or do you have any ideas on how we could do this without it being tacky? I've searched tons of other forums and googled every phrase i can think of that has to do with beer and weddings and have been coming up empty. =(

Re: Beer Theme

• edited April 2011
    I wouldn't do a complete beer theme, I can imagine it would be hard to get away with. Maybe have some import beers for your cocktail hour instead of signature drinks. You could use names of your favorite beers as table numbers, little subtle things like that. 

Ohh, idk where I saw this, but I saw that someone bought pint glasses and chalkboard paint. They painted little squares on the glasses and had cvhalk at the tables so the guests could write on their glasses. It made cute pictures with the bride and groom glasses. That's a more inexpensive way to have custom glasses, and I think it's more fun than your names or a monnogram.

I did a quick google search and found these. It looks so easy to make! and so adorable!

• That's a pretty cool idea! I know we're going to have some good beers for everyone to have. Our timing is tricky though. We're getting married at 11am and have to be done with out lunch reception by 3pm then we're headed to a local bar we hang out at almost every weekend at 5pm. Our reception will be beer and wine only. I don't need anything beer themed with my cake or the decorations. I'm really looking to see how I can incorperate it in tables and centerpieces.

• You could do something cute like this, with some pretty flowers. Maybe do 2-3 per table. I think it could be really pretty!
  • i like this idea - really brings your FI into the planning!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • GrauGrau member
    First Comment
    I think it is a great idea.

If you can get any (empty) kegs, you can use them as tables. Or, if they are small enough, as a card basket. Or, really anything that you can store things in (programs, favors, ect).

You can use the growlers as vases. Or, fill them with colored stones, or even candy (like m&ms).

If you make and signs, you can use beer caps to spell out the words.

As with a lot of things, I would do the beer theme in moderation. A few things here and there are good, but sometimes too much of a good thing can be bad. Also, you can look into the vineyard theme. There might be some ideas you can take from that and use it with beer instead.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We home brew too.  Picked it up from my sis.  She and her hubby own a home brew store. 

I think a beer theme is fine if it suits the couple.  Guests know you and would think it's a neat personalization.  But yes, have some non-beer drinks handy.

Maybe you could incorporate hops into your decorations. 

I read about a "beer mixing" type ritual to replace the unity candle/sand concept in the ceremony. 

I <3 the chalkboard glasses.  It's a placecard and favor and glass all in one!  I love purchases that multi-task. 
    imageimageimage
  • I really want to drink a beer now!

You could name tables after different beer varieties or ingredients.

Never underestimate the power of google images.  I looked up beer themed wedding.  See:

Beer Centerpiece: http://www.bellabeachweddings.com/images/beermugflowers.gif

Wedding arch made of mini kegs: http://wedinator.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/funny-wedding-photo-beerarc.jpg?w=357&h=572 (may be over the top for some people)

Pics of rings on top of bottles: http://lisarhinehart.smugmug.com/Weddings/Becky/BeckyNickFav/BeckyNickFavorites-172/946786084_Zr2uq-XL.jpg
    imageimageimage
  • a friend of mine has used wine and beer bottles to make awesome hanging lights and a mini-chandelier for their house. you could look on etsy to see if you can find anything like that.
  • another thought: come up with old fashioned beer logos to put the table numbers on....there are a ton of beers out there, so it would be cool and easy to do little antiquish table number signs.  Also, if you put flowers in beer bottles, maybe peel the labels off, because people will still know its a beer bottle, it may just look a little cooler.  if you were wanting to do pint glasses as favors, you may be able to find cheap ones at like walmart or something and get them online, and personalize yourselves....good luck! im sure it will be great!
                                           Go to fullsize image
                                            April Siggy: Wedding Shoes!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic June Offbeat Siggy: Then and Now Pics!!!! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_offbeat-weddings_beer-theme?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:43453af6-2ee4-412a-99fb-cbb447240911Discussion:45145d77-564a-4d00-a462-dd37bb27a129Post:c87bcce0-2b01-41d7-8a9a-d5074dabde85">Re: Beer Theme</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it is a great idea. If you can get any (empty) kegs, you can use them as tables. Or, if they are small enough, as a card basket. Or, really anything that you can store things in (programs, favors, ect). You can use the growlers as vases. Or, fill them with colored stones, or even candy (like m&ms). If you make and signs, you can use beer caps to spell out the words. As with a lot of things, I would do the beer theme in moderation. A few things here and there are good, but sometimes too much of a good thing can be bad. Also, you can look into the vineyard theme. There might be some ideas you can take from that and use it with beer instead.
    Posted by Grau[/QUOTE]

I love the suggestion for table numbers. I never would have thought about that!

You ladies have some amazing suggestions...I'll have to write everything down! Keep em coming! =)
  • Oh yes! I am planning a rustic/beer/DIY wedding. We have hops vines on our invitations, our centerpieces are glasses with beer grains in them holding votive candles, and my fiance is brewing all his own beer for the wedding. Feel free to steal any ideas you like. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards