Military Brides

Groomsmen Attire

Hi! We are trying to plan my brother and his fiances upcoming May wedding and we are having some problems decided what to do with the groomsmen.

The groom will be wearing his Class A (army) uniform and both the groomsmen are non-military and the bride really doesn't want them to be dressed in a tux or a suit.

The colors are going to be blush, gold, and champagne.

Has anyone seen or are planning a wedding with the groomsmen not wearing either a tux or suit? She likes the idea of just a dress shirt, vest and dress pants.

If anyone has any suggestions or input it would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

Re: Groomsmen Attire

• manjermjmanjermj member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2013
    I always go with the rule that the formality of the groomsmen attire should match the formality of the military uniform. The Class A uniform is formal/semi-formal, so the groomsmen should match that. If she doesn't want the groomsmen in a tux or suit, then she should possibly reconsider the groom wearing such a formal uniform and maybe a less formal uniform. Sorry, I don't know the exact names of the Army uniforms, my FI is a Marine. 
  • The Class A is the equivilant of a suit and tie, unless he is wearing it with a white shirt and bow tie.  Then, it would be the equivilent to a tux.  The grooms men should match his formality.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • From a photographer's perspective, it's always good to keep the dress code the same amongst the groomsmen/groom. But, at the end of the day, you've got to do what YOU like the best. The group photos are really the only part you have to worry about. The photos of the bride and groom are going to be gorgeous in the dress uniform. But, the groom with his groomsmen are going to be a little off....?

I'd either have the groomsmen just get the tuxes, OR...have the groom in his dress uniform for the ceremony and change right after the ceremony into a more casual outfit (the bride can also switch into a "reception" dress)? Just an idea???
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_groomsmen-attire-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:acb69e33-a593-4371-a15e-322e9a8217ffPost:99efcd41-a0f0-4362-849d-546700ab87ac">Re: Groomsmen Attire</a>:
    [QUOTE]From a photographer's perspective, it's always good to keep the dress code the same amongst the groomsmen/groom. 
    Posted by simplysonja@rocketmail.com[/QUOTE]

<div>I think this is terrible advice. My photos have two different uniforms, as well as tuxes and regular BM dresses. My photographer loves the photos she got. </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_groomsmen-attire-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:acb69e33-a593-4371-a15e-322e9a8217ffPost:99efcd41-a0f0-4362-849d-546700ab87ac">Re: Groomsmen Attire</a>:
    [QUOTE]From a photographer's perspective, it's always good to keep the dress code the same amongst the groomsmen/groom. But, at the end of the day, you've got to do what YOU like the best. The group photos are really the only part you have to worry about. The photos of the bride and groom are going to be gorgeous in the dress uniform. But, the groom with his groomsmen are going to be a little off....? I'd either have the groomsmen just get the tuxes, OR...have the groom in his dress uniform for the ceremony and change right after the ceremony into a more casual outfit (the bride can also switch into a "reception" dress)? Just an idea???
    Posted by simplysonja@rocketmail.com[/QUOTE]

<div>I don't agree with this either.  I've been to quite a number of weddings where the groomsmen had mixed atire between dress uniforms and tuxes.  I've never seen it look odd.  I've even been to weddings where there were service members in uniforms for different branches and civilians in tuxes in the wedding party and pictures still turned out great.  </div><div>Like Stan said, her wedding inlcuded service members in uniforms (to include her MOH) and civilians.  Her pictures are amazing.  I don't think I've ever seen a more beautiful wedding.  </div>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Awww Tx, <3
    I hate Dave Ramsey
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards