New York-Hudson Valley

Vendor Reviews: Poughkeepsie Wedding

Hi all,

Vendor reviews were really helpful when I was planning my Hudson Valley wedding, so I hope this is helpful for you as well!

Venue: The Grandview (A)
Pros: Beautiful site, very attentive staff, completely professional. Everyone thought my wedding was so elegant because of the beautiful ballroom and fabulous river views.
Cons: My parents felt nicked and dimed for everything, especially stuff they felt should be included in the base prices.
Price: ~$24,000

Hair and Makeup: StudioOne (A+)
Pros: Amanda and Maura were amazing and accommodating. I looked gorgeous all day. They were even willing to do a few last-minute things for my bridesmaids.
Cons: It is a little expensive, though much more convenient, to have them come to you (vs. drive to New Paltz)
Price: ~$300

Photographer: Christopher's Studio (A+)
Pros: Willing to work with me on a package and cost, free engagement shoot, easy to work with, didn't feel like he was always in the way, knows how to make magic with pictures.
Cons: None. Still waiting on my wedding pics, but can't imagine they will be less than gorgeous.
Price: ~$2500

Videographer: J&M PhotoVideo (A+)
Pros: Willing to come cheap! I booked them later in the planning process, as an afterthought, and didn't want to spend a lot of money. We definitely got our money's worth, and have a great, fun video on 3 DVDs to show for it.
Cons: None.
Price: ~$1000

Band: Soul Session (A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++)
Pros: So so so so so fabulous. They call themselves a "band that does weddings" vs. a wedding band, because it's true. Garland, the leader, is an amazing wedding MC and kept everyone dancing all night. The band went from Motown to Funk to R&B to Pop to Classic Rock to Jazz to whatever. They played everything and everyone loved it. If my wedding was successful, it was because of this band.
Cons: Absolutely none!
Price: ~$6500

Flowers: Lucille's Floral/Flowers by Lucille (A++++++)
Pros: She made my wedding beautiful! The flowers were absolutely beyond what I thought they would look like. She was super easy to work with and more than worth the money. Love her, love her, love her.
Cons: None.
Price: ~$2000

Ceremony Pianist: Alla Axelrod (C)
Pros: She showed up.
Cons: She clearly did not practice the music I sent her months ahead of the wedding, and played the recessional as if it were a swing piece vs. a pop song (Somewhere Only We Know). I found her online at GigMasters, and she had all these amazing reviews, so I'm pissed that she picked my wedding to screw up at. It's the one part of my wedding video that makes me wince - hearing all those wrong notes!
Price: ~$250

Ladies, no matter what this day is the most special and will be super-wonderful for you all. Best of luck and hope this helps!

Re: Vendor Reviews: Poughkeepsie Wedding

• PaoPao820PaoPao820 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I feel what you mean about the Grandview... That's where my wedding will be next year and although I think it's going to be amazing, they count every little thing and don't budge on much. I have to admit, they've been a little more accommodating than I thought they would be so I'm happy about that! Thanks for the review on Lucille's... I've been debating about making an appt with her and I think I will. She priced me much cheaper than a few other places that I spoke to at the Grandview bridal show but I was hearing eh reviews and good reviews.... I think yours is causing me to rethink and go for the appt! Thanks!! Glad you had an amazing day and congratulations! Enjoy the honeymoon!!!!
    -Paola- Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    So happy for you.  And happy that your wedding at The Grandview went very well being I am getting married there in less then 2 months.  Also, your review of Lucille's makes me very happy.  I'll be using her as my florist for my wedding.  I'm sorry about your ceremony music but am glad everything else looks like it went very well. 
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you so much for the reviews! Just for the record, I am getting married at The Thayer Hotel at West Point and I have been feeling nickel and dimed as well - kind of glad to hear I'm not the only one. I am going through florists now and I had put Lucille's on the back burner, but I think I'll go for an appointment with her after this! Thank you!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • KWats2011KWats2011 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's because I'm from right outside NYC, but I felt that you got SO MUCH for the price at The Grandivew! We would have paid almost double down here, I think. But in any case- I'm glad you enjoyed your day and congratulations!
    Anniversary Follow Me on Pinterest my read shelf:
    Kristin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • edited December 2011
    Glad you had a wonderful wedding!!! Our wedding will be at the grandview in 2 weeks and couldnt agree with you more KWats!!!! Grandview gives you SOOO MUCH for the price... lower westchester and the new roc wedding factory lane would have been at least double the price and given half of that!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards