Wedding Etiquette Forum

Re: Would you give your baby pop rocks?

• I don't think it's exactly mean, but it's not something I would do to a baby.
    Then again, I wouldn't be giving a child that young sugar anyways.
    I do love me some pop rocks though :)
  • I've never really been a big fan of them! I hate that feeling in my mouth, haha.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • I wouldn't give a kid that young sugar, but I think this is no worse than feeding a baby lemon slices. Both are mean, but funny as hell. :)
  • Um, no.  But not because of what they do, rather, because of the sugar.  I'd have to kill them.
  • I think it's irresponsible.
  • Bec, that's exactly what one of the comments said.

Yeah, Amoro, the sugar factor is what's bad for the kid. The fizzing, I guess not, like a lemon.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • edited May 2010
    i wouldn't just because of the sugar... the only time my son has had chocolate was when my mom was in town two weeks ago. I didn't approve then either.

eta: i know pop rocks aren't chocolate... i was just referring to sweets in general
    Photobucket
  • I wouldn't do that to my kid, I don't think. But I will not hesitate to feed my dog a little spoonful of peanut butter occasionally. It's awesomely hilarious.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • I think it's wrong because of the sugar, and the fact that I can't stand them.  I hate the sound they make and the feeling in my mouth. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_would-give-baby-pop-rocks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:faef4f95-9cab-4451-8ec6-e89e45eb347fPost:81debb12-4d84-4439-8910-1a7a4eb7c6f0">Re: Would you give your baby pop rocks?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd be too worried the kid would choke somehow. I might do it to a 3 or 4 year old but at least then they would start to understand the concept of it.
    Posted by lovethebeach16[/QUOTE]

This. Aside from the sugar (which I also don't like), I can't help but think that a kid having them for the first time could either a) gag and try to spit them out b)get caught by surprise and inhale them.
  • I think it's irresponsible.  For the sugar factor and the choking factor.

And to the pp who said they give peanut butter to their dog.  That's perfectly fine and a lot of vets will actually recommend it to give them fiber.
  • ggmaeggmae member
    First Comment
    edited May 2010
    I really don't think that one Pop Rock is all that bad. If you poured an entire packet into a baby's mouth, that's another story. But one? That's pretty harmless.
  • I wouldn't because it is mean and a choking hazard.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • ggmaeggmae member
    First Comment
    Is one Pop Rock (what was given to the baby in the video) really a choking hazard? I haven't had them in ages, but I'm thinking that one wouldn't cause someone to choke. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.
  • yes, they can inhale that. then when they inhale it, it will either close off their trachea, or the pop rock can go to their lungs. where they will get pneumonia. and die. as a nurse, I'm taught to look for that stuff.

this nurse will never give a choking hazard to a young child, especially an infant.

• No way. Not happening. There's way too much sugar in that, plus, as PP said, it's a huge choking hazard.
  • No, because I wouldn't want my child developing a taste for junk food that early...  Plus, they are kind of gross and obviously too sugary.

• ggmaeggmae member
    First Comment
    Okay, thanks. I thought that because they were so small, they couldn't be a choking hazard.
  • Seriously?

I'd probably do it. A small enough piece won't suffocate your child and turn them into a sugar junky. But I also live with someone who has to deal with overprotective and paranoid parents pretty often so I have a more lax view than most. 

Feeding a baby a lemon, funny. Poprocks, funny. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm not an advocate of giving anything sugary to children that young. So no, I wouldn't give them pop rocks. When my 6 year-old ASKED for a Listerine strip, I let her have one, and warned her that she probably wouldn't like it. I was right.
  • it's small to you, because you're bigger. infants have little bitty throats though. it doesn't take much to make them choke.

• It's far more hilarious to give Pop Rocks to a cat or dog.
    10-10-10
  • ggmaeggmae member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_would-give-baby-pop-rocks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:faef4f95-9cab-4451-8ec6-e89e45eb347fPost:451a0a14-793a-4b09-845a-91b578fbb0f7">Re: Would you give your baby pop rocks?</a>:
    [QUOTE]it's small to you, because you're bigger. infants have little bitty throats though. it doesn't take much to make them choke.
    Posted by pooh8402[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know that. I didn't realize that baby's throats were THAT tiny though.
  • LP11509LP11509 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited May 2010
    i would not when the kid was that young, but when he/she is 5 or so I might give a small amount.  Sugar, like most everything else, is fine in moderation.

edited to add "not'.  Very important word for that sentence!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_would-give-baby-pop-rocks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:faef4f95-9cab-4451-8ec6-e89e45eb347fPost:2d7b50ac-b279-464f-b42d-a25ea1f9ab14">Re: Would you give your baby pop rocks?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would you give your baby pop rocks? : Yeah, I know that. I didn't realize that baby's throats were THAT tiny though.
    Posted by ggmae[/QUOTE]

I used to break Declan's cheerios in half when he was about 7-8 months old. It's scary how easily kids can choke!
  • I think it's mean because a baby wouldn't understand that it's not something that's harmful, but it would certainly think it was scary.
  • There is no way I'd do that.  Sugar + choking possibilities make that a senseless thing to do.  The baby in that video looks scared :(.

Now, a 3 or 4 year old, that's different!  I'd have some fun with that...and the child might actually enjoy it at that age.
  • I gave them to my brother when he was 5. First he thought it was freaky, then he thought it was awesome.

If the kid could really choke, then it's not funny. It also reaffirms to me that I don't want kids. I don't want to be responsible for something that fragile.
  • I wouldn't feed my small child candy, soda, etc, period.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • salt78salt78 member
    First Comment
    When I was in college, my bf-at-the-time's roommate was napping and we lined his ear with Pop Rocks and then poured a little Mt. Dew on them.

He was not pleased.

And no I would never give them to a baby. I wouldn't even want to eat them myself.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards