Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cake flavor ideas??

Ok we're doing the vanilla cake and a chocolate cake. We have 2 more that we need flavors for and we're coming up blank! Any ideas on flavors you liked? Fills/cake combos? I need something that 2-95 year olds will like! lol

Re: Cake flavor ideas??

• jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Can you have a tasting at your bakery?
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I would start with figuring out what flavors your bakery offers and then doing a cake tasting.

"You can't make a half sandwich. If it's not half of a whole sandwich, it's just a small sandwich." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper

• edited December 2011
    My friends mom is a baker, so she offered to make the cakes for us. I'm thinking maybe white cake with strawberry filling? or chocolate cake with raspberry filling? or maybe just carrot cake with a cream cheese frosting? Each cake is going to be frosted then covered in fondant for show.
  • edited December 2011
    We're going to try a snickerdoodle cake.  Cinnamon swirled vanilla cake w/ White Chocolate filling.  

Our baker told us to just google cake flavors and see what sounded good. 

We're also trying a vanilla buttermint cake w/ choc chip filling.  Just a couple of ideas.  But if you google it you'll find all sorts of ideas!
    imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • peanutty2peanutty2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think carrot cake with a cream cheese frosting is a good choice. I know a lot of people who like it.
    My favorite cake is strawberry shortcake.
    I think chocolate with a rasberry filling is good too.
    I tried a cake at a bridal show once that was chocolate chips in teh cake with a buttercream frosting. YUM.
    maybe red velvet?  or lemon cake? 
    I personally don't like pudding fillings, but some people do...
  • edited December 2011
    Do a tasting at your bakery!  Their red velvet might be to die for, while the carrot cake it so-so. 

We had lemon cake at our wedding. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011

I agree, a testing is the best way to go.  Ask your mom if you can try samples from her bakery.  To give you some ideas, our cake is 4 layers:  Vanilla cake with strawberry and cream cheese filling, chocolate cake with peanut butter filling, butter pecan cake with carmel filling and red velvet cake with cream cheese filling.  I would never have thought to do those flavors if I wouldn't have done a testing. 

• rascal17rascal17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    -Lemon cake with a raspberry filling
    -carrot cake with cream cheese frosting
    -Apple spice cake with a caramel filling (walnuts in cake if no allergies)
    -Vanilla cake witha  strawberry rhubarb filling
    -chocolate cake with a mint chocolate ganauche or buttercream
    -Chocolate cake with a coconut/pecan/caramel filling

These are the flavours I have narrowed it down to for my cake (still have to narrow down a bit more as I dont want to be making a 6 tier cake)
    Pumpernickel and olive juice
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks girls for all the flavor ideas!!
    I polled my siblings too and this is what we came up with:
    Anniversary cake: White rum cake with rum flavored frosting
    Second cake: Chocolate chip cake with chocolate chip chocolate frosting
    Third cake: White cake with vanilla frosting
    Fourth cake: Carrot cake with cream cheese and chocolate chip frosting
    Fifth cake: White cake with strawberry filling and white frosting

All my makes are going to be small and on their own cakestands so we decided to do 4 for the guests.
  • goobersinlovegoobersinlove member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the vanilla and chocolate cakes (with normal buttercream filling) that you have for two of the layers would be able to please 95% of the cake-eating population regardless of age. I'd do something different for the other two layers.

My favorite ideas for myself:
    Tiramisu cake. Oh yes - I had it once before and nearly keeled over and died over how good it was.
    Pumpkin spice or chai spice cake with cream cheese filling.
    Flowerless dark chocolate with mint (think: york peppermint patty taste) or raspberry!
    Banana?

Obviously, meet with your prospective baker and see what he/she offers and their suggestions.

• edited December 2011
    I know red velvet with cream cheese is popular. I also really like lemon cake with either lemon or raspberry filing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Our baker does EVERYTHING, but we opted to go simple, biggest tier is going to be my favorite: white almond with raspberry creme filling, the two smaller tiers are going to be my FI's choice, blueberry w/o filling.  Our baker suggested we forego the filling on the blueberry because it is so moist the filling makes it fall apart!  Yikes!

Though, I totally agree with pp about tasting.  Give your friend's mom some ideas, and taste them.  See which you love the most and go from there!  Enjoy, this is the yummiest part of planning!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    At first we were going to have a tiered cake with two different flavors to pick from. Now we are going to have cupcakes in the same flavors: chocolate ganache with cherry buttercream, and poundcake with fresh fruit raspberry filling and coconut buttercream on top with toasted coconut sprinkled over it. It sounds gross but they are delicious! The coconut isn't very strong at all.
  • iloveu4everiloveu4ever member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Red velvet?

• edited December 2011
    Some funky cake flavors I've done in the past:

Ginger Orange Creme: Ginger-Orange cake with a vanilla bean filling

Rose and Lemon: Lemon cake with a hint of rose - cream cheese buttercream filling

Lavender and Vanilla: Lavender/Vanilla Cake with lavender (LIGHT!) buttercream

Irish Chocolate: Chocolate/Irish Cream Cake with an Irish Cream/Buttercream filling

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards