Retro and Vintage Weddings
Options

Roaring 20's & 30's theme?

I am just starting out on all of my planning, but I'm always looking for great ideas!!

The wedding will be simple, we will tie in the 20's & 30's theme using my dress, my BM's dresses (20's inspired) & the groom & GM will be wearing "gangster/pin stripe" suits.

So I really just need ideas for the reception.....martini glasses? Lots of candles etc......HELP!

Thanks!!!!
Jillian*~ Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Roaring 20's & 30's theme?

• Options
    it looks like you and i are following along the same timelines. just got engaged two weeks ago and planning a september wedding. we are also wanting a roaring twenties theme. for the reception, we were thinking of feathers, pearls, and setting it up like a speakeasy. i just googled "roaring twenties themed wedding" and got lots of results. good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Another thing you ladies can do is take a look at the top of these boards and click on the planning bios link.  You'll be taken to a website with a huge list of wedding planning bios made by your fellow retro and vintage knotties, and they're organized by vintage inspiration era (so you can see some 20s and 30s inspiration bios).  Also, don't forget about checking out the married bios too to see how some of them all came together!

I hope this helps :D
    Our Wedding Website
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Options
    Also, don't forget to scroll back through past postings on this board to see what's been posted here, already!  

And don't stress.  Easy ways to evoke that era include --
    ...playing vintage music
    ...using potted palms
    ...having a cake that looks vintage (a friend had Art Deco "shapes" put on her cake; or you could get a frosted cake that looks like it's from the past instead of one of today's modern fondant cakes; I have links to photos of vintage cakes on my website, just go to my "Zeroing In" page and you'll see them)

Getting more elaborate, you could --
    ...have a Charleston contest (or, if your guests are too shy for that, pre-prepare some kind of Charleston dance routine that some dancers could perform for them)
    ...have a cigarette girl wander through the crowd, handing out packets of candy cigarettes or something (I'm thinking of those cigarette girls who used to wear something that looked like a low, open box on straps that went around their necks, and they'd have cigarettes in those boxes; do you know what I mean?)
    ...have a photo area where guests could pose for photos wearing items that you'd provide for them, like headbands/feather boas for the gals and fedoras/cigars for the fellas.  Maybe you could find a vintage photo that would look great enlarged to an enormous size, and use that as the backdrop for their photos.  (Don't know if that would work, but if you actually try it, let us know!)

Since you're just starting, there's plenty of time to come up with ideas!  Keep us updated!

• Options
    Try to find a CD called "Nipper's Greatest Hits" that is from the 1920s. I use this in my classroom when I teach on the 1920s and will be playing some songs from it at our reception. It has all the best 20s music like "Makin Whoopie" and the Charleston. 
    Just an idea-- if you have wedding pictures from your family from the 1920s, it might be cool to have a few out on a table. 
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards