Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Greece - Make sure to have a back-up plan

Sorry for those of you who have seen this before, since I've mentioned it already in a couple of other posts about Greece. But I've seen so many people talking about honeymoons in Greece, and I want to make sure that they know what they could be in for.

For those who don't know, there have been big government cut-back and changes because of Greece's fiscal situation, so there have been regular strikes and protests all over the country for the last couple of months. For instance, I came across this article today:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/29/greek-police-tear-gas-striking-truckers?CMP=twt_gu

Just make sure to be aware that you could be stranded somewhere as the train or boat that you were planning on taking isn't running, or your cruise ship may not be able to stop at the planned port. I'm not one to tell everyone to stay away from the less than perfectly serene spots (I'm going to Israel and Jordan for my honeymoon), but just make sure to have extra money, if not some solid back-up plans, so you won't be totally screwed while overseas.

And now I've done all I can, so these will be my last words on the protests in Greece.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Greece - Make sure to have a back-up plan

• Options
    I haven't really been keeping up on what's going on, but something to consider; if you're stuck on going to Greece or already bought your tickets look into staying in smaller towns or places that are off the beaten path. The people are so sweet and I'm sure all those little towns are hurting and would love your business. My best friend is Greek and we stayed in her Mother's home town in the middle of nowhere, called Domnista, it's seriously secluded (and small) but breathtaking. Looking for something more 'resort' style, check out the town of Kamena Vourla. The Galini Hotel is gorgeous with sea views and the town is ridiculously cute. Learn how to say please and thank you and how to order a beer and you're good to go!
  • Options
    Honestly, while living in Italy, I got stuck coming back from a day trip to Venice because the trains were striking.  This happens pretty much all the time in certain countries in Europe, and it's really not that big of a deal. 
  • Options
    As Amoro said, this has long been an issue with Greece. Not only that, but if you're wanting to go to the islands, as most are, then you need to be prepared for the chance that you won't be able to go on the day you've scheduled due to weather. Ferries are routinely delayed or cancelled due to rough currents.
  • Options
    I know this is an old post, but since a PP mentioned learning how to say "please" and "thank you" in Greek, I'd tell you (whoever's reading this) how to do so:

Please is parakalo, which is pronounced "pa ra ka LO"
    Thank you is efhariso, or "eff har ee STO"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards