Retro and Vintage Weddings
Options

now to glamourize!

Hi Ladies! My wedding is 3 short months away and I am at loss as to how to style my Bridesmaids! I am going for an old Hollywood Glamour themed wedding, nothing crazy but I adore Pin-up, Vargas and go to Burlesque expos so i wanted that in there a little. I think this is a wonderful feminine look and is complementary on pretty much everyone. As I wanted to make this as inexpensive for them as possible I had them order a DB dress they all loved and am paying for their makeup. Hair is optional since I can not afford that many heads.  But I have ordered a fun styling book that has how-to's. The issue I have is that their dresses are IMO not very vintage looking.  The dresses look just like this:

What am I missing to complete this look? My aunt mentioned hair flowers or broaches and a mini black birdcage veil for my MOH but I have no idea how to go about this! Help!
"All I want is for you to be happy And, take this woman and make you my family And, finally you have found someone perfect And, finally you have found Yourself." -RHCP image

Re: now to glamourize!

• Options
    For the hair flowers and birdcage I would go to the mall and see what you can find at jewelry and accessory stores. These looks are really in right now and you'd be surprised what you can pick up at Claire's. I would also try looking on etsy. They have TONS of that stuff.

You may also look into getting panty hose with the stripe up the leg-- that always gives off a 40s or 50s pin-up feel. They have them at VS and Fredericks.

If you are paying for their makeup to get done, perhaps you could look into a vintage look in that area? Maybe do a subtle pin-up look or copy some retro 1930s-50s looks?
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Personally I think you need to practice some vintage hairstyles. Victory rolls, pin curls, etc. There are a TON of tutorials on YouTube. If you were able to do that it wouldn't matter what the dresses looked like, you'd have an automatic vintage look.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    150 Invited image RSVP Date: April 15th
    84 Attendingimage
    66 Missing Outimage
    0 Not Repliedimage
  • Options
    I made hair flowers for my girls.  I think the total was $25 and that included the glue gun, which I'm sure you could borrow if you need one.  I asked them to wear pearls or other glam jewerly.  Some of them tried to get vintage-inspired shoes.  They all ended up getting their hair done, though IMO not all ended up looking vintage, but still great.  They also all chose to wear red lipstick.  I loved they way they all looked!  There are pics in my bio.
  • Options
    A short petticoat or netting skirt would add some poof to the bottom of the dresses and add a bit more vintage shape to them. Pearls and hair ornaments would definately add some vintage elements to them.
  • Options
    I agree with the PPs. Also check out Lisa Freemont Street on YouTube. She is awesome at vintage hairstyles and make-up. A good red lipstick can go a long way as well when it comes to the pin up look. I actually just had my engagement photos done in a pin-up style and did my make-up myself using her tutorials. I don't think it turned out too costumes. Here's the link: http://www.hazeltonphoto.com/slideshows11/CassiMark/
  • Options
    ooo love the petticoat idea!  I'll  be practicing with the book once it comes in and I've been experimenting on my own hair now that its long enough.  Only issue is that I'll have no time to do it for the girls not to mention I'll make it a hot mess if i am nrvous.  Thank you ladies for all your help!!
    "All I want is for you to be happy And, take this woman and make you my family And, finally you have found someone perfect And, finally you have found Yourself." -RHCP image
  • Options
    Do you have anyone in your family that is good with hairstyling, but not in the wedding. For instance we decided not to have any of my FI three sister's be in the WP but I plan on giving them special jobs to do so they feel involved.

If you have a sister, sister-in-law, cousin or aunt from either side that's good with styling hair (doesn't have to be a hairstylist) give her the book and have her practice. Then she can be in charge of doing the bridesmaids hair.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    150 Invited image RSVP Date: April 15th
    84 Attendingimage
    66 Missing Outimage
    0 Not Repliedimage
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_retro-vintage-weddings_now-glamourie?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:667Discussion:68461455-3a15-401f-a92b-f13af0e70614Post:65fc6d13-2424-46d8-a2f5-404f77799152">Re: now to glamourize!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I made hair flowers for my girls.  I think the total was $25 and that included the glue gun, which I'm sure you could borrow if you need one.  I asked them to wear pearls or other glam jewerly.  Some of them tried to get vintage-inspired shoes.  They all ended up getting their hair done, though IMO not all ended up looking vintage, but still great.  They also all chose to wear red lipstick.  I loved they way they all looked!  There are pics in my bio.
    Posted by kelleyku05[/QUOTE]
    Kelley - I really like how you picked out the BM dresses and then they can pick the style.  i have yet to pick out my BM dresses, but I like the idea of something being in the same family or look, but not matchy, matchy.
    Daring to dream a bigger dream
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards