Snarky Brides

Frustrating family

What's new, right? I am getting married next year and there is a major drama in my family. My mother and I don't see eye to eye and our relationship is very strained. I don't have the nerve to invite her to my wedding. I also have a brother, but if I invite him he'll tell her and I don't want to exclude him but I have done so already because we barely speak. They are the only 2 people of my side of the family left to invite. :(

Re: Frustrating family

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_frustrating-family?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6e815ec-2165-4165-8666-43e132d32f37Post:aedca3df-8134-49ba-ae3e-3b7f9ff62bc6">Frustrating family</a>:
    [QUOTE]What's new, right? I am getting married next year and there is a major drama in my family. My mother and I don't see eye to eye and our relationship is very strained. I don't have the nerve to invite her to my wedding. I also have a brother, but if I invite him he'll tell her and I don't want to exclude him but I have done so already because we barely speak. They are the only 2 people of my side of the family left to invite. :(
    Posted by alexkahayna[/QUOTE]

Well, that's nifty.  Is there a question in there, or are you just venting?

1)  Don't invite your mother.

2)  If you and your brother don't speak, why do you feel bad about excluding him?
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I hear you, OP. Only for me, it's my sister that I don't want to invite. We haven't spoken in three years because of her abusive husband, and I don't want her (especially him) at our wedding. I had a way out of the relationship for her, but he chased her down the highway until she pulled over (kids were in the back of the car), and they fixed it by talking in the car. She turned around and went back with him.

I also know that if I don't invite her it will make my mother upset, and I've got to decide which is the lesser of the evils. I'm not really close to my parents either, but we do speak and have a 'friendly' relationship, except where my sister is concerned.

I would like them there, but not her. I don't know what I will do yet either.

You're not the only one, OP. I hope you figure out what you want to do.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have never been able to meet my mother's expectations. I was in 2 abusive marriages and my children were taken by the State because of it. According to her, I should have never considered a guy in my life again and that I picked 'him'' over my kids; this is constant and I am not wanting to keep dealing with it. She is grieving and so am I but in different terms. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards