Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Re: <

• Options
    Wow 6 minutes, huh? 
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    Glad you had fun, but you realy should take down your last names off youtube.
  • Options
    that was really cute and fun!
  • Options
    aww thats so cute!! i'm glad you had fun!!!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_surprise-first-dance-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:8aa44c57-ea12-421f-8885-e1b914a0fe4dPost:a92ec4d7-ca6d-414c-9bda-1843d5d7319c">Re: A Surprise First Dance <3</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow 6 minutes, huh? 
    Posted by trix1223[/QUOTE]

That's a little snarky, don't you think?

I thought it was really cute :) I love it when brides and grooms showcase their personalities like that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My favorite line is how your guests had a blast watching it, and the only 2 guests you can see in the video are bored out of their minds, and one started playing with the baby instead.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    megk8ozmegk8oz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_surprise-first-dance-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:8aa44c57-ea12-421f-8885-e1b914a0fe4dPost:66497bf3-8bc0-4b32-851c-f70c85f6bc42">Re: A Surprise First Dance <3</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Surprise First Dance <3 : $10 says at least 70% of her guest list thought the same thing, though.<strong> </strong>And, sorry, but when you basically create an account to AW how awesome of a dancer/singer/etc you are on an internet community, you open yourself up to honest comments that those nearest and dearest to you will save for when you're not in the room.<strong>  </strong>That's life on the interwebs.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

Pretty much this entire statement.  If you want people to "ooh" and "aah" over something, put it on FB where your friends and family can validate the crap out of you ... or at the very least an internet community where people actually know you on some level because you're a frequent poster or something.

But to have your one and only be post be something that only further AWs some AW stunt you did at your wedding, there's bound to be somebody that calls you out for it.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_surprise-first-dance-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:8aa44c57-ea12-421f-8885-e1b914a0fe4dPost:66497bf3-8bc0-4b32-851c-f70c85f6bc42">Re: A Surprise First Dance <3</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Surprise First Dance <3 : $10 says at least 70% of her guest list thought the same thing, though. And, sorry, but when you basically create an account to AW how awesome of a dancer/singer/etc you are on an internet community, you open yourself up to honest comments that those nearest and dearest to you will save for when you're not in the room.  That's life on the interwebs.

OK I see what you mean about creating the account to flaunt your first dance, but she was obviously excited about it and I don't see the point in just shooting her down with such a negative comment.  I'm aware that nobody likes to sit through a 6 minute amateur performance but at the end of the day they did that dance for themselves.
     I just don't agree to abandoning all of your manners because you're hidden behind a computer.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_surprise-first-dance-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:8aa44c57-ea12-421f-8885-e1b914a0fe4dPost:6499c8a4-7fec-45b0-aec0-9c7f73bfe609">Re: A Surprise First Dance <3</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Surprise First Dance <3 : OK I see what you mean about creating the account to flaunt your first dance, but she was obviously excited about it and I don't see the point in just shooting her down with such a negative comment.  <strong>I'm aware that nobody likes to sit through a 6 minute amateur performance but at the end of the day they did that dance for themselves.</strong>  I just don't agree to abandoning all of your manners because you're hidden behind a computer.
    Posted by Cristine2011[/QUOTE]

I know I'm not the one you're actually addressing, but I don't speak any different on here then I do in real life.  If I was at that wedding I would have gotten up after the 2nd minute probably and gone to the bar or just somewhere else. 

BTW, I don't agree with validating everyone's ideas and opinions on here just because they might get their feelings hurt.  You said it yourself, they did that dance solely for themselves.  They could have gotten the same point across in a 2 minute dance. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_surprise-first-dance-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:8aa44c57-ea12-421f-8885-e1b914a0fe4dPost:6499c8a4-7fec-45b0-aec0-9c7f73bfe609">Re: A Surprise First Dance <3</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Surprise First Dance <3 : OK I see what you mean about creating the account to flaunt your first dance, but she was obviously excited about it and I don't see the point in just shooting her down with such a negative comment.  I'm aware that nobody likes to sit through a 6 minute amateur performance but at the end of the day they did that dance for themselves.  I just don't agree to abandoning all of your manners because you're hidden behind a computer.
    Posted by Cristine2011[/QUOTE]

You're addressing me, and to be honest, I didn't say anything positive OR negative about it.  I commented on the time.  But since you brought it up, I will give you snarky.  I think it was excruciating.

I watched about 2.5 minutes of it.  After about 30 seconds, I started watching the guests.  As dnbeach pointed out, NOT ONE was smiling, laughing, or seeming to enjoy it.  The ones that were watching had glazed eyes, and the one who was talking was trying to get hold of the baby at the table.

Like the others said:  post it on facebook.  Send a link to your friends and family.  But seriously, 6 minutes?  A couple's first dance doesn't have to be a broadway show stopper. 

IMO, it should be a sweet moment between the newly married couple.  Trying to put together a production number is more often than not forced, awkward and uncomfortable for everyone.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_surprise-first-dance-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:8aa44c57-ea12-421f-8885-e1b914a0fe4dPost:8b464d14-b22d-4c1e-a24e-7f45f43d157c">Re: A Surprise First Dance <3</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Surprise First Dance <3 : You're addressing me, and to be honest, I didn't say anything positive OR negative about it.  I commented on the time.  But since you brought it up, I will give you snarky.  I think it was excruciating. I watched about 2.5 minutes of it.  After about 30 seconds, I started watching the guests.  As dnbeach pointed out, NOT ONE was smiling, laughing, or seeming to enjoy it.  The ones that were watching had glazed eyes, and the one who was talking was trying to get hold of the baby at the table.
    Posted by trix1223[/QUOTE]
    I don't know...one guy looked bored but I did see quite a few taking pics, recording and I heard a lot of people laughing and enjoying it.
    I know I would never do a dance like that becuase I am shyer then some but I think it was very cute and I understand why she shared it...they worked hard on it and the knot is for sharing and being a little AW as we say her on the knot since we appreciate all of this wedding stuff. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I don't think I jumped all over anyone.  I simply stated that it looked like some people enjoyed it.  Sheesh...I have never called either of you any names such as hags.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Yikes, I didn`t mean it that way at all, and I`m sorry if it sounded that way! I don`t think anyone is a `hag`for voicing their opinion about an online video, but I really don`t see the point in calling someone out for a 6 minute dance when they`re trying to share something that they`re excited about. I just think it`s a lot easier to click the back button on your browser than be a buzzkill for someone`s post-wedding excitement.

StageManager14 and trix1223 I know you both give great advice on a lot of topics but ths should be a place where brides can come share their excitement, and sometimes I feel like it isn't...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_surprise-first-dance-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:8aa44c57-ea12-421f-8885-e1b914a0fe4dPost:1e94211d-225a-4214-a585-1492b8927baf">Re: A Surprise First Dance <3</a>:
    [QUOTE]The hag part wasn't specifically aimed at either of you.  I was just pointing out to trix and dnb the irony that we are often critized for "trolling the boards, looking for trouble" and have been called hags and much worse for "not letting stuff go" and the irony is that in most cases (like this one), we simply express our opinion or offer our advice and move on.  It's the fact that over-eager posters jump on the "evil married ladies" bandwagon and repeatedly attack US and argue about how and what we should and should not post that keeps a post going and takes focus off of the OP and their question. So, unless we are somehow less qualified to address criticism that is thrown at us, it appears that we really arent the problem.  The rainbow police are.

Very well said. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Well it doesn't make sense on this post because no one attacked you or your clique.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    pretzelgrrlpretzelgrrl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2010
    Please...I used the term clique because you are kind of acting like you guys are in jr. high and I always see the same group of you sniping back and forth and "this"ing each other.
       And I think you are missing the point until you mentioned hag no one had attacked you in this post.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2010
    Okay I finally had to look.

Really OP?  This was your first post?!?!?!?  I thought you might actually have something original here.

Anyone who want to see a truly kickass version of what these two were doing - a motivational speaker in Lakewood Ohio did a skit of the evolution of dance that made the local news stations and the morning network news a few years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMH0bHeiRNg

EDIT - OK. that came off snarky.  However, as a warning to any other brides thinking about doing this, please do not overestimate your skills and think that you can entertain for six minutes.  I had to stop watching OP's after 3 minutes which, quite honestly, would have been a good stopping point.

AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_surprise-first-dance-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:8aa44c57-ea12-421f-8885-e1b914a0fe4dPost:b291b6e4-572e-4611-bb08-e2304d9a3cad">Re: A Surprise First Dance <3</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm the kind of person who doesn't like to make others feel uncomfortable, or bad about themselves...I live my life saying and doing things that I can be proud of...about a year before my wedding, one of my best friends, Maggie, was murdered, the week of the wedding would have been her 22nd birthday...there were a lot of emotions that day...the family playing with the baby (that was her family.) So don't talk about how people look bored, because all of Maggie's siblings decided to be there to share in our day no matter how hard it was for them, knowing their daughter was supposed to be in the wedding...So please, don't comment if you're one of those negative spirits, because I'm not interested and no one else is either. I put this on here because I know when I was trying to decide what to do with my first dance I looked for other ideas to get my own creative juices moving...
    Posted by ALove101610[/QUOTE]

I'm very sorry about your friend, that is a horrible thing to happen. 

But playing the sympathy card doesn't work with us, and it doesn't change my opinion of the dance.  Nobody needs "creative juices" for their first dance, and if you would have lurked here or posted before your wedding you would have found that most people don't like choreographed dances.  Especially ones that last 6 minutes. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2010
    ...This isn't your blog.  It's an open message board, intended for discussion.  You really shouldn't use either until you learn that distinction.

ETA: My fail for not quoting.  She said that she "wasn't trying to play a sympathy card, she was just posting in her blog trying to explain why some people didn't seem like they were interested," then deleted it after I responded. 
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Your loss is a tragic one, I'm not in any way trying to say I don't feel for you on that front. I have lost friends and family members prematurely, and know it's exceptionally hard to cope with at times. So for that, you truly have my sympathy.

However, "You all don't understand! My friend was murdered!" really is an irrelevant response to people saying they didn't like your 6-minute long dance number. Your friend being tragically taken from this world has no bearing on the fact that what you did is not something most people actually enjoy watching.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards