New York-Hudson Valley

Is everyone having a videographer?

Fi and I are in the process of choosing a photographer, and are weighing whether we should also have a videographer. I LOVE photos and look through photographs often, so the photography is a top priority for me, and I realize that that may end up costing us a pretty penny. I struggle because I'm not sure if I'd rather put all the money towards a great photographer, or go for someone cheaper so we can also afford a videographer. My first instinct is to think that we don't need a video of our wedding, and I can't see that I'd sit around watching our video often at all. On the other hand, I don't want to look back later and regret not having one. What are all you ladies doing? Will you all be having videographers for your wedding?

Re: Is everyone having a videographer?

• edited December 2011
    I am going through the same exact dilemma  right now!! I already booked my photographer, but at the time i did not think i needed or wanted video, now after talking to a lot of people and constantly hearing, "your not having a videographer?" i am really starting to second guess my decision! I am going to start looking around and if i can find one i can squeeze in my budget i am really going to try! 
  • kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We didn't have one. Honestly, we would watch the video once and probably never again. We had a friend record the ceremony and parts of the reception and we've never even watched that. Heck, I still haven't made a wedding album.
    imageimageimage
  • edited December 2011

We did not have one,however my dad's friend videotaped the whole wedding and did such a great job.We watched the video and it really came out amaziing.

• edited December 2011
    We did not have video either.  I knew I'd watch it once and never again (same as what happened with the Bat Mitzvah video years ago).  I had a cousin tape the ceremony, entrance to reception and first dance.  I watched it once.  Mostly I just wanted to get to "see" the ceremony so this was the perfect option for me.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the input! I kind of feel the same as you ladies about it, and thought maybe I could just have a friend videotape the ceremony, or just forgo video altogether. But when I visited the photography board and everyone there said you MUST have a videographer and every bride there who didn't have one said they regretted it, I was starting to get a little worried about not having one.

BTW KristinandDan, the wedding photo in your signature is absolutely beautiful... that picture always comes to my mind when I think about the types of photos I would like of our day. Smile
  • edited December 2011
    I think videography is one of those things you could take or leave. We aren't doing one just because of the extra cost. Sometimes I think I'd like one and other times I'm just "meh" about it.

I don't think its necessary. If it's something that's important to you and you can afford, go for it. Otherwise, I think a good photographer is perfectly sufficient.
  • mockninemocknine member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Funny that I am reading this post tonight... I JUST finished picking my scenes for my recap video!  So, obviously, I had a videographer.  

I watched the video a couple of times when we first got it, and I watched it tonight.  I will probably only watch it on our anniversaries, if that.  However, I can tell you that being able to watch the video of my entire day, tonight, was amazing!  You forget so much of what happened.  Pictures definitely capture many special moments, but there is nothing like seeing and reliving the moments unfold as they actually happened.

My vote is- if you have the money in the budget, then do it!  When I was doing my search for a videographer, there were many reasonably priced videographers out there (under $1K)... I don't know that their work is the best, but if all you want to do is capture the day and nothing fancy, it is well worth the money.  I ended up using Multivision (out of NJ), and there were amazing!!!  

HTH!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_everyone-having-videographer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:113Discussion:07630a3f-cb81-461f-b816-b56781a84e8aPost:22714bad-cd6f-413f-b5a3-e8fb74877659">Re: Is everyone having a videographer?</a>:
    [QUOTE] BTW KristinandDan, the wedding photo in your signature is absolutely beautiful... that picture always comes to my mind when I think about the types of photos I would like of our day.
    Posted by mellimel19[/QUOTE]
    Thank you so much! We told our photographer we were up for anything, we just didn't want the normal boring photos, and he did an awesome job.

What you fail to see in that picture is that we are balancing on a decaying log over a puddle of nasty muddy water - anything for awesome photos!
    imageimageimage
  • edited December 2011
    oh my goodness, what a backstory! Well you'd never be able to guess it by the looks on your faces! :)
  • kimberlygokimberlygo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We aren't having a videographer only because we know we wouldn't really watch the video that often, so we're buying a flip cam and giving it to a friend during the ceremony.  As for the reception, we're giving a few select people some flip cams, and we're hoping to get a little footage of the party and well-wishes from friends. Hopefully no one will steal them (I don't think they will) and hopefully we'll get some nice candid footage, but I guess we won't know until it's done.
  • edited December 2011
    I actually had a debate with my FI as to whether or not we should have one so we decided if we found one under $1000 we would do it! I found one for $995, its nothing  fancy just videos of the ceremony and reception and they do like interviews and such. Its Best of Times Video out of New Windsor.. the price is right. And i know i will want to watch the video later at anniversaries! i hope this helps your opinion.
    and btw the video places website is out of date, but i saw them at a bridal show at the Grandview in Poughkeepsie which is where we are getting married and  their work was amazing! Hope this helps!

Wedding Countdown Ticker 169 Invited image
    60 Yes image
    16 No image
    93 Have me praying for the mailman! image
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks Cathryn! So far I've put videography on a side burner for the moment, but we're leaving the option open. If we go with a videographer, it will be a pretty basic package.The Pros has a basic video package for $1,250, but I will definitely check out Best of Times Video. Who knows, maybe the lower price will sway our decision....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards