Pennsylvania-Central
Options

Anyone know a CHEAP photographer?

We're getting married May 28th, 2011 at Stokesay Castle in Reading, PA and need a cheap photographer (as in less than $1000).  We don't want any fancy albums or prints (we do want the rights the print them ourselves though). Anyone know of any good photographers?

Re: Anyone know a CHEAP photographer?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We are using Solas Photography (www.solasphotography.com)

It is 899 for all the pictures and the rights to them.  If you want prints or albums, it's more on top of that.  They'd definitely look into them.  They're fantastic!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Talk to Laura Taylor, the event coordinator at Stokesay Castle.  Her husband does some photography on the side.

I'm getting married at Stokesay Castle on August 28th, 2010.  It's beautiful!  Good luck!
  • Options
    CynikettECynikettE member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! I'll look into both!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Definetly Sola's!
  • Options
    mamie329mamie329 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Isn't their name Solas? Not Sola? No apostrophe. 
    image image
    Lucy Elizabeth 10.27.12
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes... it's Solas Photography
  • Options
    mamie329mamie329 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, mb. It's the second time I've seen someone write it like that. Apostrophe abuse makes me insanely stabby. 
    image image
    Lucy Elizabeth 10.27.12
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    you could also try captured by kate photo.

for that price she would include an engagement session, unlimited hours on your wedding day, and the rights to print for both wedding and e-session with no obligation to purchase any prints or albums. plus, you get everything online for others to view/purchase.

her website is capturedbykatephoto.net and her email is capturedbykatephoto@gmail.com

if you have specific questions or want to look at my photos, email me at steeser03 at yahoo dot com.

good luck! :) 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    tresslertressler member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second Captured by kate!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm a little late to this conversation, but I am using Erin Keough Photography. She is currently working on a new website, but if you are on facebook you can find her! Our package is $800!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I'm not sure you are, but if you are interested in the south-central area, you may want to check out Justin Irvin of Irvin Imagery in Chambersburg, Pa.  www.irvinimagery.com.
    I'm sure he would travel to Reading, but not sure if you want to stick closer to the area or not. 

• Options
    psuxray07psuxray07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can also try The Pros.  That's who we booked with....it was under $1,000 and if you go to a showcase and book that night you get discounts, and we got a free album (worth $100, but hey it's something!)  They were the cheapest we found.  We got the Simplicity Package.  We also booked our DJ with them!  (They have videographers too).  They are very good and quick to get back to you.  You get a CD of all of your pictures with all rights to print.
    *12.31.10*New Year's Eve!*
    *BFP 1.3.13* IAmPregnant Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Ooo.. say no to the Pros.  I've had so many couples tell me of dismal experiences through their services.  You may also want to check out www.weddingwire.com. Great vendor searching tool on there.  Good Luck!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh and one more thing.. be sure not to pay in full until the day of unless your contract states otherwise.  I have a bride this year who had met a photographer at a bridal show... took part in the "because you're here at the show" discount.. paid in full and the photographer split town with her money in tow.  It's happening WAY to often.  Very sad there are so many dishonest people out there.   Just PLEASE be cautious and be sure to get a copy of the contract. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I received a letter from a bride desolate over her ruined wedding photos... the third email I have gotten about the same company: the pros. So I did a little google research on them only to find literally hundreds of complaints on various sites about them...

My studio gets at least 5 calls a year from brides asking us to fix the cheap photography they paid for that looks like, well cheap photography.  Just keep in mind even if you only pay a couple hundred dollars for your wedding photography if you are unhappy with them you wasted your money.

It’s disappointing that so many have had terrible experiences with the people most essential to your day. Your wedding album is your new family’s first heirloom, and to create it is such an honor.

Some tips: When picking out your wedding photographer/videographer dont just look at their best of reel, look at a full wedding album start to finish, anyone can get lucky with one or 2 shots, you want to make sure that they will capture your entire day, no just a few nice shots. If you are interested in a studio that employs multiple people make sure you are seeing work from your specific photographer. Check to make sure that you are with a reputable photographer, you can look them up onhttp://www.ppa.com/ {professional photographers of america} which is essentially a guild for photographers, the organization also provides indemnification insurance so if you are unhappy you can rest assured that you can seek retribution. Book an engagement session to get comfortable in front of the camera, and with your photographer, if you dont have a good rapport or feel comfortable with your photographer it will show in the photos.

If you are going to splurge anywhere, make it your photos, at the end of the day the dress goes in a closet, or the attic, the flowers are wilted, the left over food gets tossed, and the photos last forever.

I recently scanned all my grandmother’s photos and set them to one of our company’s Cinematic Presentations as a birthday gift, she was watching these images from 2yrs-80yrs old and an image of her in her wedding dress came up {my favorite photograph} and my 4 year old daughter looked at her great grandmother and said “GGma! you were a princess!” …My grandmother started crying… That is what I am doing for people as a wedding photographer, that is what every bride deserves, not only impeccable service on the day, and fantastic photos, but someone that cares as much about what the images mean to you now, as what they will mean in 50 years, not only to you but to future generations! It breaks my heart that people thrive in this industry when they lack that kind of passion and conviction, or general respect for your day, it is always an honor to even be considered as a possibility to share such a special occasion. Shame on anyone that treats it like a casual business transaction, it is a sacred responsibility.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards