New York

Syracuse Hotels- any connections or suggestions?

Hello, all! I recently switched gears (and boards) from planning my wedding in Baltimore (where I currently live) to Syracuse (the area where I grew up). We're having a Sunday wedding on July 22nd (2012). It's late in the game to switch plans, but so far I have lucked out locking in our ceremony site (Trinity church in Fayetteville, NY), officiant (Rev. Bill Redfield, a family friend), and reception site (the Rosamond Gifford Zoo).

I'm still trying to pin down a DJ, shuttle service, flowers and baker. The part we seem to be having the most problem with right now is establishing a block at local hotels. I was wondering if anyone on the board has suggestions or connections that might help. My Dad has made some calls, but people are not returning the calls.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you have!
Thanks!
~ Sara
~ Sara

Re: Syracuse Hotels- any connections or suggestions?

• Welcome and congrats! I'm a little far away to help with the hotels, but I just wanted to say I think having your reception at the zoo sounds awesome! I've been to quite a few zoos all over the country, and I would definately list Rosamond Gifford in the Top 5. Good luck with your planning!

Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
  • We are using Crowne Plaza and Park View. For a shuttle service we are using Quality Coach.  I will send you the contact info I have!
  • We are donig a block of rooms at the Double tree in East Syracuse.  My brother was married there a few years ago and everyone was so wonderful!  Since we've been planning, the staff has been fantastic!  My contact is Shari Drace - she is the wedding planner.  But I'm sure if you just ask for anyone when you call they will be helpful :) Good luck and happy planning!!
    221 Invited image
    185 Ready to Rock! image
    36 Party Poopers image
    0 Can't find the mailbox image
  • Congrats! The zoo does sound like a lot of fun and I'm sure your guests will have a great time!

I would suggest looking downtown or the University area- Sheraton, Genesee Inn, Crowne Plaza. It's summer and the students are out, so you might have more luck in the university area.

For a baker, we're using Biscotti Cafe in Little Italy. They are AMAZING, as both my sister's used them and they are simple phenomenal. They can accommodate up to 3-4 weddings a day, so you might not have trouble booking them.

Flowers can range. I've had friends use Wegmans and they do a great job on a budget. I'm using my florist in Cazenovia, so it's not really in the zoo vicinity. Backyard Garden in Dewitt is also amazing and Nino is very helpful. They might run on the pricy side, but it depends on your budget.

As the ladies on here know, the DJ was the most stressful part for me! I was fortunate to book Ken with Paradise Entertainment out of Geneva. He's willing to travel to Cazenovia (for a fee, of course), but he's amazing from what I've heard. I'm really excited to work with him and his website is great.

Good luck!!!
    image 131 invited image 120 are ready to party! image 11 will miss the festivities! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks, Rachael! I've seen some pics of their previous weddings & other events, and was really impressed! My friend works there and had her reception there a few years ago and RAVES about it. It'll give people some good entertainment during the cocktail hour, too!
    ~ Sara
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_syracuse-hotels-connections-suggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:621Discussion:ad9de19f-17c3-4a92-b901-2f8457d6b59dPost:4b072e95-6fe4-4971-a152-6cf0ceddde66">Re: Syracuse Hotels- any connections or suggestions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]As the ladies on here know, the DJ was the most stressful part for me! I was fortunate to book Ken with Paradise Entertainment out of Geneva. He's willing to travel to Cazenovia (for a fee, of course), but he's amazing from what I've heard. I'm really excited to work with him and his website is great. Good luck!!!
    Posted by JN382[/QUOTE]

Ken is awesome, you won't be disappointed! If one of my dad's good friends didn't DJ for us as a gift, I totally would have had Ken do our wedding. I've been to many events he DJ'd and he's always done a great job at reading the crowd and getting people on the dance floor.
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks, Rachael!!! I have no idea why I had so much anxiety about that, but you know how music can make or break the party. He's one of the few I've heard only good things about (which is rare!!).
    image 131 invited image 120 are ready to party! image 11 will miss the festivities! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Not to take over a post, but I have Ken booked too and am so excited!  OP, the zoo sounds lovely.  It would be pretty easy to get downtown for hotels, maybe the Sheraton or something like that?
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • KKS4471- Unfortunately, there's a big event going on that weekend that has booked-up a lot of hotels. I'm also wondering why the staff we've contacted aren't better about returning my Dad's calls. Did you all have to arrange your accommodations in-person, maybe over the phone & on-line just aren't safe bets.

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

BTW- DJ's are a lot more than I thought they'd be! I think one site had packages that started at $1700... that's about a thousand more than nearly all the rest! I'm hoping that I can catch at least a little break since my reception is on a Sunday. A few have mentioned giving me a discount, so we'll see!

~ Sara
  • My reception will also be at the zoo!  I think it's going to be so fun and a great location.  :)

Here's what I'm using for mine for the other stuff:

Cresthill Suites - I'd never heard of them before and found them almost by mistake.  It's a privately owned chain... I believe they only have 2 or 3 locations.  They're located in East Syracuse, but it's only about 20 minutes from the zoo.  The hotel seemed really clean and had all of the amenities I was looking for.  They have an outdoor pool, complementary breakfast every morning, complementary dinner on Mon-Thurs (unheard of!), free airport shuttle (they just need 1 week notice), and fitness room.  I found the price to be very competitive with other hotels, and I felt there was more in the room -- each room has a full kitchenette (fridge, stove/oven, microwave I think, etc.)  Check out the website.  Their whole thing is they want to be your home away from home.  I've been working with Carol and she's very nice and helpful... and very good returning my emails.

DJ - Phenomenal Entertainemt (Very fast responding to me and answering all of my questions.  They are based out of Rochester and Buffalo, but I guess have DJs in the area and are not charging extra for travel.  They even did a video chat with me on Skype so I could speak to the manager in person.

Shuttle Service - I don't really care if hte bus is a party bus or a fancier bus... I just want a simple bus.  So I'm going with Bernie Bus.  They have a 4 hour minimum and will let me split it up between different times... I gotta get on that though because I haven't put my deposit down yet...!

Flower - I have heard VERY good things about Price Chopper and Wegmen's for flowers.  I'm sure they would work over the phone and also they have examples on their websites I believe.  The price often comes in much lower than a regular florist; I've heard since they get more bulk/wholesale flowers so it's cheaper for them and they pass that on to you.  And I have heard that you can't tell visually a difference from a individual florist store.

Baker - Sweet Endings Bake Shop has amazing delicious cakes and cupcakes.  A little steep in price compared to other bakeries I've seen, but no one else is as talented as the bakers here.  I feel they have the most delicious cakes around AND the best designers for buttercream or fondant.  Their cakes not only look great, but taste great as well.  However, the woman there is very friendly, but does take quite some time for her to return calls/email.
    My Attempted Wedding Blog - http://aroseywedding.blogspot.com/
  • If you are willing to look outside of Syracuse a little, since they are saying that there is something going on that is taking all the rooms, you could try the Days Inn in Canastota.  It does not look like there is anything major going on in the area (Canastota/Chittenango area) that weekend.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards