Military Brides

FI wants a list of questions for the recuiter

He wants me to make a list of all the questions I may have that I want to ask. I had a lot in my head at one point, but I never wrote them down.  Can yall please help me. I am supposed to ask things that are important to me.

Re: FI wants a list of questions for the recuiter

• KatyRoseMKatyRoseM member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

How often would you move?  How long and how often are deployments?  What is housing like on bases?  Are bases near good schools?  What support would there be for you while he was deployed?  Where and when would training be?  What is the insurance like?  What is living on base like?  Off base? 

I don't know what your personal questions would be, but many people want to know about those.

• Sammy0709Sammy0709 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

PP's questions are all good ones but, when you are asking some of them, keep in mind that not all of these questions have a solid answer.  Many of them are a case to case basis because not all bases or deployments are the same.  H grew up in a family where they stayed in the same town for 12 years.  That is unusual but they were fortunate that there were a couple different duty stations in the same area.  People also change duty stations at different rates.  Don't get discouraged if you cannot get a definite answer on some things. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What branch is he looking to join? 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    He is joining the army. We looked at all the different branches but this is the one we chose.
  • LaurelindorenLaurelindoren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What you really need to know is what they won't tell you, and what I can't tell you.
  • kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_fi-wants-list-of-questions-recuiter?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:c4ea14d5-bd4f-4557-bf93-b69e7e2a2b2fPost:edcd4e28-651d-4883-8215-c0d15be815ce">Re: FI wants a list of questions for the recuiter</a>:
    [QUOTE]What you really need to know is what they won't tell you, and what I can't tell you.
    Posted by Laurelindoren[/QUOTE]

<div>Uh, what?</div>
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_fi-wants-list-of-questions-recuiter?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:c4ea14d5-bd4f-4557-bf93-b69e7e2a2b2fPost:edcd4e28-651d-4883-8215-c0d15be815ce">Re: FI wants a list of questions for the recuiter</a>:
    [QUOTE]What you really need to know is what they won't tell you, and what I can't tell you.
    Posted by Laurelindoren[/QUOTE]

Yeah, seriously, what? 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    You dont need to ask a recruiter ANY of these questions ... Any one tied to the military can answer these...

How often would you move?  This depends on where you get stationed. Some duty stations, like Hawaii are limited to 3yrs unless you are granted an extension. THis is bc Hawaii is considered "overseas". Other duty stations you can stay at for your whole career ... it just depends on your job and where it is needed.

How long and how often are deployments? Again, this depends on your unit and its mission. On average the Army is known to deploy for 12months but have been known to extend to 15-18months.

What is housing like on bases?  This depends on the base you are assigned too. Most military homes can be compared to townhomes in the sense that they are connected. Depending on how many dependants you have and their ages determines the size of your home. You are not limited to housing on base. If you are more comfortable finding a home on the local economy you are welcome too.

Are bases near good schools? Most bases have schools on post that your children would be able to attend if you choose. You can also choose an offpost option if you live in that zone.

What support would there be for you while he was deployed? Units have something called Family Readiness Groups (FRG) which is basically the spouses and family members who get together tostay connected while the deployment is going on. They keep you up to date on welcome back ceremonies and fund raisers and other events. FRG also exists during non deployment times. Other support during deployments and dwell time consists of counselling, parenting classes, free childcare, etc .... 

Where and when would training be? This depends on your spouses chosen job. There are many training sites around the country and the length of the school is determined by the job.Training also is conducted while the soldier is assigned to a unit. this could be aweek in the "field" or a month or longer.

What is the insurance like? Insurance? if youmean life insurance its like any other policy but it doesnt have a "no combat zone" clause. If you mean medical, its free for the service member but you pick a policy for the family members/dependants. 

What is living on base like?  everyones experience differs

Off base?   everyones experience differs

hope that helps ...

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards