Michigan-Detroit

RSVP Question

I'm probably over thinking this, but I wanted some opinions.

I forwarded a draft of our invitation to my Mom and she made a comment about the address for the response card. She said that the RSVP's should go to the brides family. A little more info, my Dad is not in the picture, and Mom is not contributing financially to the wedding (I have absolutely no problem with that). FI's parents have offered to pay for the reception and we're taking care of everything else.

I'm not sure where we should have the RSVP's mailed. We're hopefully moving at the end of June, so I don't know if mailing them to us is the best option.
There is no death. Only a change of worlds
life | home

Re: RSVP Question

• edited December 2011

I may be in the minority here, but I would do whatever makes the most sense for you logistically over what people expect because of wedding etiquette.  I'm having my RSVP's mailed to me directly because I am the one who is organizing and planning this wedding.  If I had the RSVP's mailed to my mom's house I would be anxious to not have them with me.  My case is a little different I guess because I live 2k miles from where the wedding is, but I think I'd feel the same way if I still lived a mile from her.

When will you get the invites completed?  Could you hold off on printing them until you know for sure if you are moving or not? If so you could wait until you have the address and have them mailed to your new place, which might be cutting it close since you will be sending out the invites at the end of July (I'm guessing, since your wedding is at the end of Sept.).

Would you be comfortable having them sent to someone else?

Final Count 181! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • GwenwhyfareGwenwhyfare member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's kind of how I feel, and my Mom lives right around the corner from me. I'm managing the guest lists for both sides and will be giving the final count to our reception venue. I originally had our current address as the mail-to and FI's Step Mom suggested having them sent to their house if we were moving. Oy..

We were planning on sending out our invites towards the end of July, but that's a good idea about asking if they can hold off. I'm not positive on how long it takes for them to order, print and deliver everything to us. Guess I should have asked? LOL. I'm just afraid that whatever I decide someone's feathers will get ruffled.
    life | home
  • edited December 2011
    We used our own address for the return. I'm too anal to let someone else be responsible for keeping track and letting me know. It goes to the brides family when the bride still lives at home, but other than that my thinking is that they should go to the bride!

Depending on when you will be sending out RSVP's, you may be able to wait on having those printed for a while until you know for sure. You could also temporarily rent out a PO Box for a few months, too. 
  • queenfm85queenfm85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ooo! PO is a good idea from Culby. I agree with most PP. I couldn't let someone else handle the RSVPs. I'm the planner and perfectionist and I would go batsh*t crazy! lol
    Danielle & Tyler

10-10-10

"God blessed the broken road that led me straight to you"

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 126 Invited image 41 Getting Crazy image 10 Party Poopin image 75 MIA
    RSVP Date: September 10th
  • edited December 2011
    I live in Ohio but the wedding is in Michigan (duh, why I'm on this board!).  I'm planning to have the RSVP's sent to my house though because I want to be the one to keep track.  My mom has been involved in the wedding, but not super involved and I imagine I'll be doing the seating charts, with a consultation with her and FMIL and FSMIL (is that the proper acronym for future stepmom in law?).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I rarely pay attention to whom I am sending the RSVP back to---do whatever makes logistical sense for your situation.
  • edited December 2011
    I doubt I've ever looked at the address on the RSVP envelope. It makes the most sense to have the cards go to whomever is keeping track, which in this case sound like it is you.

Yes, 20 years ago it went to the bride's family home because that's where the bride lived. I can't imagine what a PITA it would've been if I had to call my Mom to see who RSVP'd.

Do you know the new address where you'll be living at the time? If its still up in the air, then I think the PO box suggestion is a good one too.

Just do what makes the most sense logistically - there's no 'right' place for the cards to go.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • GwenwhyfareGwenwhyfare member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our living situation is still up in the air, I wish it wasn't. Colleen's suggestion sounds like a good solution for our problem. The Post Office in Wixom has a six month plan starting at $14 and it's right around the corner from my work. $14 to eliminate one less thing to stress about, I'm there!

Thanks ladies :)
    life | home
  • edited December 2011

$14 is a bargain in wedding-planning world! I'd be tempted to open 10 just so it felt normal! lol

That's great that will work for you- I don't know how to explain it, but I got a little squishy inside when I opened the mailbox and saw the little cards there- glad you'll get to experience it! :)

• edited December 2011
    I had the RSVP's sent directly to me, since I was the one keeping track of them.  Plus, nothing was more fun than checking the mail for the cards!
  • jennifer0124jennifer0124 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Another idea is to order the RSVP envelopes with no address and then get a stamp or labels once you know if you're moving.  We printed our own so we didn't have to worry about it but that way you can wait.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards