Wedding Etiquette Forum

Need a 2nd Opinion

It's been awhile but I posted before About FSIL acting strange after FI and I started dating. FSIL was a friend who introduced us.

Here is my dilemma. She asked to be in our wedding in front of FI's family several months ago. She laid it on thick and every time I tried to change the subject she started back in on me. So I finally agreed.

Fast forward to now. She won't return any texts, calls, etc to get her budget. She always makes excuses to not hang out with us and even tonight didn't invite us to her birthday party tonite. FI is hurt and has had enough.

It went so far as this past weekend she picked a fight with us over politics and rubbed it in FI's that the banks been calling and blaming my ring for it. We are playing phone tag to consolidate loans Then she went so far as to make a big stink about seeing my ring, calling it "small," then showing a photo of the ring her boyfriend put on layaway that was the same design that his family pointed out to us.

Now circumstances for us have changed and we are considering moving the wedding up. We feel like between her ignoring us, picking fights, and just overall pettiness that she has decided to not be in the wedding. We know its a relationship ender but we are tired of the games with her.

And yes we have tried nonwedding relationship building but our relationship with her is still crumbling.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Need a 2nd Opinion

• It seems like she's doing a fine job taking herself out of the wedding.

If she won't respond to you about a budget and subsequently doesn't order a dress, I'm not seeing how she will be in the wedding party if all she has to do is get a dress and show up.

I wouldn't kick her out because your non-wedding relationship is obviously on the rocks as it is.

Keep CCing her on texts and e-mails and include reply-by dates and let her take herself out.
  • That's we are thinking. We were trying to get dates and to see if our idea was doable to the wedding party and that means we need an answer by this weekend. We did make that clear in our text yesterday but it went ignored. I really have no clue what the heck is going on with her. It's so bizarre.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • To be honest, at this point you can just take a breather, kick back, and let her drive the train off the rails by herself. I'd keep her at arm's length, and deal with her with clinical sterility.  No social functions, lots of plausable excuses to not hang out, etc.

Weddings are stressful, you don't need additional artificial stress that someone else manufactures.  Let her conduct her own drama parade with an audience of one, and enjoy the peace and quiet.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_need-a-2nd-opinion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7544ed3e-fcc2-4edf-8b0f-bc2b09cc12adPost:49856974-f1c8-4c2c-9abc-5193044b9f34">Re: Need a 2nd Opinion</a>:
    [QUOTE]To be honest, at this point you can just take a breather, kick back, and let her drive the train off the rails by herself. I'd keep her at arm's length, and deal with her with clinical sterility.  No social functions, lots of plausable excuses to not hang out, etc. Weddings are stressful, you don't need additional artificial stress that someone else manufactures.  Let her conduct her own drama parade with an audience of one, and enjoy the peace and quiet.
    Posted by Peledreamsofrain[/QUOTE]

<div>Awesome! I couldn't have said it better myself. </div>

Anniversary
  • We told her in person. And tried to get answers from her and she blew us off. I feel bad for FI. I know their relationship hasn't always been the best but he is so angry she cries she never sees him in front of select family members then pulls this crap. He is so hurt and I feel so helpless.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Since you have tried to talk with her in person.  I would still keep her in the loop with emails.  But go about planning your wedding as if she has no objections to moving it up, etc. 

Then for the dresses, base your budget off of the other BMs.  Then give her the dress information.  After her not getting the dress, then she has removed herself.  FSIL won't be able to say that she did not get the information about the dress, etc.  If she is trying to stir up trouble between FI and his parents, this will hopefully settle it.  You can always say that she was kept in the loop, copied on all emails along with the rest of the BP.  It's not your fault that she did not respond or did not get the dress in time.  Then it is on her.
  • I know it sucks to deal with a drama queen while trying to plan your wedding, let her throw her pity parties, ignore her and relax. Give her the new date and deadlines and move on. If she doesn't buy the dress then, she's removed herself without making you look like the bad guy, which is what she wants.
  • Honestly, this is a situaiton that I'd let resolve itself. Try to take a step back. You told her she could be in the wedding, so you can't really x her out. But what you can do, is just choose a dress (since she never got back to you on budget) and just email it to her and the rest of your bridesmaids with whatever the deadline is. Exchange her email address with your bridesmaids. That's it. If she shows up in the dress, great. If your girls plan a shower/batch party, then they have her email. 
    September 2012 Siggy Challenge: Wedding Preview!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker

122image 110image 12image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_need-a-2nd-opinion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7544ed3e-fcc2-4edf-8b0f-bc2b09cc12adPost:75702446-ca16-4177-974b-e27866f0ad4f">Re: Need a 2nd Opinion</a>:
    [QUOTE]We told her in person. And tried to get answers from her and she blew us off. I feel bad for FI. I know their relationship hasn't always been the best but he is so angry she cries she never sees him in front of select family members then pulls this crap. He is so hurt and I feel so helpless.
    Posted by daffydillie[/QUOTE]
    I have a very strained relatioship with my brother so I can relate to how your FI must feel.  More than likely, for whatever reason, your FI's sister is probably envious of you two and especially her brother.  Is she older or younger?  Even though she was the one who pushed the issue, privately it might make her feel very uncomfortable to be reminded of your upcoming nuptials while her ring and her proposal and her wedding day are all on layaway.  I'd do what the other PPs said and leave her alone for now.  Let her approach you if she's still interested and in the meantime keep cc'ing her.  If she confronts you one day and tries to blame it on you just dismiss her and say as far as I knew your email hadn't changed so I thought you knew and something came up that prevented you from participating.  Then end the conversation regardless of whatever drama she might try to bring up.  Leave the room she's in if you have to.  Don't let anyone steal your joy because their own life is not coming up roses.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards