South Asian Weddings

Did anyone make their own wedding cards?

Im thinking of making my own wedding instead of my parents lugging them over from India, any thoughts or comments? Is it easy to do?

Re: Did anyone make their own wedding cards?

• temurlangtemurlang member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I made mine... It was tons of work, but they turned out great and cost much much less.  And I got exactly what I wanted.  You definitely need to be willing and able to put in the time.
  • britishmibritishmi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Temurlang,

Did u buy a kit? If so from where?
  • MrsBMMrsBM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A colleague of mine at work made her own!  She said that it was much cheaper and they turned out exactly as she wanted.  However - it is very time consuming!

She got all her supplies from michaels and an online paper store...I'll find out and post it in the thread
  • MrsBMMrsBM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    cardsandpockets.com

She swears by the "zip dry glue" ...apparently it is cheaper than michaels

good luck!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you Mrs BM :)
    edited December 2011
    I made my own template and used paper from here:

http://www.paper-source.com/

It's a local store, but you can order online.  I really really really wanted to use some colors they had, so I picked envelopes and made a template based on them.  You can check out my bio:

http://tamberlaine.weebly.com/diy.html

What I had to do:

-  design card and template to print cards
    -  we have a high quality printer, so I printed them at home.  It used quite a bit of ink due to the graphics
    -  Cut out cards, RSVPs, and direction cards
    -  make envelope liners and glue into envelopes
    -  make the thing that goes around the inner envelope
    -  and of course stuffing and addressing inner and outer envelopes

Time consuming.  But I'm glad I did it.

Based on my experience, it was really difficult to make my own template and design.  So if you like something available in a kit I would go with that.  Also, you can probably add graphics and stuff to the kit template.
  • edited December 2011
    We made our own also and like Tem said, it's a labor of love. But we got just what we wanted and it made it more personal, which I really liked.

We didn't use a kit either and ordered our pocketfolds and paper (pre-cut to the size we wanted) from paperandmore.com.

The options are really limitless but be sure that you have the time and patience to go through with it.
    ExerciseMilestone
  • edited December 2011
    Oh man, Kudos to all of you who has done it or will be doing it on your own. As much as I love DIY, I'd go insane. I'm very meticulous about things and if I get too frustrated, I give up. :(
  • edited December 2011
    I'm with Stephanie on this! I wouldn't be able to do 400 invites.. I could see massive paper cuts...lol
    I know some people who would design it but print it off of Vistaprint. If you go to the DIY board they have great ideas as well.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you ladies for your help, on one hand i'm thinking just let my parents get them from india, on the other hand im thinking one less thing for them to bring back, and also with all invites they get tossed in the garbage after anyway! Decisions , decisions.....
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_south-asian-weddings_did-anyone-their-own-wedding-cards?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:430Discussion:3e421ddf-3c30-4b9e-add8-b68b4cc8c9d4Post:b8dca1d0-e190-45d5-aad9-59b0321e5deb">Re: Did anyone make their own wedding cards?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm with Stephanie on this! I wouldn't be able to do 400 invites.. <strong>I could see massive paper cuts</strong>...lol I know some people who would design it but print it off of Vistaprint. If you go to the DIY board they have great ideas as well.
    Posted by DFWIndian[/QUOTE]

Yes, it was rough on the hands LOL!

I would say in terms of volume that 1) you don't send as many invitations as there are guests, so if your guestlist is 400 you're probably sending out 200 or fewer cards (couples, families); and 2) the designing is the really hard part, so as long as you pick something that can be easily duplicated, making a bigger number isn't that much worse.
  • edited December 2011
    I did my own save-the-dates.  I had a pretty clear-cut idea of what I wanted, and it cost me about $150 to do 75 of them ... so, in other words, not as cheap as I would have liked.

The cost was mainly in purchasing stock images (I used vectors and a trial version of Adobe Illustrator) and in getting them printed and cut on cardstock.  I could have done the printing cheaper at Vistaprint, likely, but I was short on time.

I think it helps to have a clear idea of what sort of design you wanted.  I had a color palette and a design idea (mehndi-inspired) before I started. 

I ended up buying invites from India.  Designing the save-the-dates was fun, but producing invitations was something my FILs wanted to leave to the professionals.
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards