Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Is it acceptable to ask for a tasting...

if you've never had the food from a venue you are considering (prior to actually booking)?
I'm not sure if this is how it is usually done, but I know we can't book a venue if we do not know if their food is deelish.

Please share your experiences with venues/tastings.

TIA

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Is it acceptable to ask for a tasting...

• I think it's fine to ask. I didn't do one at our venue, but I'd been to events there many times and knew their food was good. Food is such a huge part of the cost of a wedding, I would think any venue/caterer would be glad to let you sample!

• I think it is perfectly acceptable but just know that you will most likely have to pay for the tasting.

That said, I didn't do a tasting with my venue prior to booking it.  I knew who the catering company was and had heard amazing things so I really wasn't worried.  I also knew that I would eventually taste their food and be able to make changes and voice my opinion.  When the tasting did happen the only opinion I voiced was "Mmmmmmmm, yum, yum, yum." LOL!

• I think most venues do a tasting.  However, it's usually after you book through them.  I check reviews and talk to other people who have used them to find out.  Our venue is owned by a catering company who also is the exclusive caterer for some other venues in the area.  I figured if they were doing well enough to keep all 3 places booming with business it had to be good.  Plus because they were a catering company as opposed to a restaurant, I figured (correctly as it turns out) that they would give us a lot of flexibility.  Example - we wanted to have salmon as an entree choice but didn't like the seasoning on it at the tasting.  When we told them that we didn't care for it prepared that way, they had like 10 different ideas of how else to prepare it.  I think some other places wouldn't be so flexible.
  • Thats sounds about right. It makes sense to get a tasting and have to pay for it. It's a lovely venue, but neither of us have eaten here before. Food is our # 1 concern, so we have to be sure of it.

Thanks for your advice, ladies.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• yes it's fine to ask for  tasting.   Some venues will ask that you pay if it's before you book, but they will credit you the amount if you book your event with them.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards