Catholic Weddings

Gap Invite Wording Help

I know this is a huge hot button issue around here but regardless of your opinion, could you help with the wording for the invitation?

We are inviting all of our guests over to our home during this break. 

This is what we have right now:

Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Andrew Doe
request the honor of your presence
at the marriage of their daughter
Mary Jane
to
John Robert Smith
Saturday, the nineteenth of June two thousand ten
at two o'clock in the afternoon
X Church, 123 Street, Town, Massachusetts

Now....after this, should we say:

Immediately following the ceremony,
please join us at 246 Road, Town, Massachusetts for light refreshments

Or should we add that information to the reception card?  We want to make everything as clear as possible.  What makes more sense?

Re: Gap Invite Wording Help

• edited December 2011
    Well, a second question would be - have you seen a different way of doing this?  Or is there a better way to word the "gap" information?
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I would put it on the reception card or pass it by word of mouth.  It shouldn't be on the invitation.

If it's mostly an oot wedding, you can always put it in the welcome letter in the out of town bags.
  • edited December 2011

I think it would look good on the reception card, since it is sort of part of the celebration portion vs the ceremony portion.

• Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

on the reception card, i would just indicate "please join us a 730pm for dinner and dancing at _________."

then you can do an insert with the information abotu where to spend the gap.

i think if you put the light refreshments part on the invite folks may think that is the reception since many folks dont even do reception cards anymore, they just put it at the bottom of their invites to save money.

• ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Reception cards are always used if the reception is held at a different site than the wedding.

• Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I attended a wedding with a large gap (ceremony at 1:00pm, cocktail hour at 6:00pm). The bride and groom reserved a hospitality suite at the hotel for guests to use during that time. The main invitation included only ceremony information. They had a separate card for the reception and then they mentioned the hospitality suite in their wedding programs, and informally through word-of-mouth. As people were leaving the church, the bridal party reminded guests of the suite as well. It worked out fine and most people made it to the suite.

If you feel like you want it mentioned somewhere in your invitation, I would leave it off the main invitation and include a separate card or mention it on the reception card.

• edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies.  I'll definitely leave it off of the invitation.  I'll run the idea of using word of mouth by FI and see how he feels about it.  Maybe that accompanied with a note on our programs will suffice.  Thanks for the ideas!
  • lauraNkieranlauraNkieran member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're doing programs you can always put a note in there about refreshments at your house.
  • jennylove810jennylove810 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like the idea of putting it in the programs.  FI and I are getting married in Mystic, CT which is a big touristy area, and some of our OOT attendees are looking forward to spending the gap time exploring a little bit (we have 2pm ceremony, 6pm cocktail hour).  Putting it in the program makes it seem more of an optional 'extra,' as opposed to the reception card where it seems like an official part of the wedding festivities.

Unless, of course, you WANT it as an official part of the wedding festivities, and that's ok too :)
  • edited December 2011
    I'm hopping in a little late her but for what it's worth... I would try and make sure people know ahead of time-- unless it is someplace like Mystic where people will already have ideas. As a guest in a town I wasn't familiar with, I'd like to know that ahead of time in order to plan for it, especially if I wasn't staying over. But some people plan to go home/to their hotel to freshen up knowing there is time, but would rather spend it with you.

Could you put it on your wedding website? That way the younger tech-savvy crowd will know and your parents can spread it to the less tech-y people. Otherwise, I'd say on the reception card. In any case, that's a really thoughtful thing to do for your guests!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards