Massachusetts-Cape Cod
Options

Lisa George, Artworx or Kimberly Richard?

Does anyone have any honest feedback on using Lisa George for makeup/hair?  I've seen mixed reviews & heard from a few people that she can be very rude.  I've checked out Artworx as well but the photo gallery of hair did not impress me (looked very messy).

I've also looked into using Kimberly Richard but she only does makeup.  Anyone know if she has someone she works with for hair or if you have to do something seperate?

Getting married @ Wychmere on 9/14 and looking for someone to come on site.

Thx!!

Re: Lisa George, Artworx or Kimberly Richard?

• Options
    Lisa George was rude to me and i found her really unprofessional. That aside, I also have seen mixed reviews - the worst are the ones in which she has left brides in a lurch 2-3 weeks before their weddings b/c she double books events and then cancels or tells them she's only sending her assistants (but charging full price). I have heard that her rudeness stems from her considering herself a 'quirky artiste', but i didn't have the patience for it.

Oceanside travels and did really beautiful hair for my wedding. I was less enamored with their makeup (even on the day of my wedding). I did a hair trial with Justine (of Justine's) - she travels also - i wasn't thrilled with the product, but she was really reasonable and receptive to feedback and if i'd had more time (i did a whirlwind trial weekend b/c i live in Houston), i would have gone back for a second trial; she also has gotten rave reviews on here. Justine also has a list of people who do make-up, but i didn't recognize any of the names and didn't have time to research them.

Btw, if you like Kimberly Richards for make-up, you can pick anyone for hair - just b/c Oceanside does hair and make-up doesn't mean you have to use them for both.

HTH
  • Options
    I used Erin with Artworx and loved her! And she was soooo much cheaper than Lisa George. I've only read good things about Erin, and me and all my bridesmaids were very happy with how our hair turned out. You can always go for a trial and see how you like her. 

I have not met Lisa George, but my husband's cousin used her and was very happy with her hair and makeup. I've read mixed reviews about her on these boards, and she is very pricey. Wish I was more of a help! 

• Options
    Well, how much of a challenge will it be?   If you have less than perfect skin and features already I would absolutely spring for Lisa George... ( she is not that much more expensive,,, she is a miracle worker with less than perfect skin too ...)
    and nobody compares to lisa in the hair department... they may say they do but they don't .. 
    ( I work in the bridal flower business, we deliver the flowers during the hair and makeup hour in most cases so I do see the work very often... thus my bias toward Lisa has some bones to it.) 

I know artworx gets good reviews but I have met Erin in a non bride situation too and she was not near as genuine as she puts on.  Good , but her makeup is no where near as natural looking as Lisa's. 

Do not know anything about Kimberly Richard... never worked with her or even know of her company. 

• Options
    I was really happy with Erin at Artworx. She works with someone else who does makeup and I'm 95% sure her name was Kim-- could it be the same one? They woman who did my and my sister's makeup did awesome-- best makeup job I've ever had, although I'v only had my makeup done a few times. I agree that the Artworx site doesn't look that impressive but I will say I was more than happy. 

I have no experience with Lisa George-- I had emailed her once, never heard back, and decided on Artworx rather than trying to get in touch with her again.
  • Options
    @karensMOH yes it is the same Kimberly Richard that works with Erin Kennedy of Artworx. I'm using them for my wedding this summer and am really looking forward to it!
  • Options
    Kimberly Richard all the way!!
    I was originaly going to use Lisa George, because a friend has recommened her to me, and she was a total bitch. Every question I asked her, she'd tell me to check the website, and wouldn't answer my question. She also told me that her price was comparable with EVERYONE on the Cape. Which isn't true at all. I think she's severely overpriced, and with that attitude, I'd sooner do my own makeup than work with her. in addition to some other lies she fed me...
    I was going to use Erin at Artworx, but my hairdresser said she'd make the trip to the Cape for me wedding. The website for Erin isn't AWESOME, but I've seen other work from her on other sites. And she can pretty much make you look however you want!

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    midgemoto - what gives? Lisa George is heinousely unprofessional in a professional setting yet you try to put her on a pedestal and then bash Erin of Artworx for being unprofessional in an unprofessional setting. You may admire Lisa George's work, but I highly doubt she is as above the rest as she believes herself to be. Perhaps you're buddies, but don't bash other vendors by referring to irrelevant situations to question their integrity.
  • Options
    Erin is a wonderful person. I have worked with her and have seen her work. She really can do just about anything you request. Sometimes, you get pictures from photographers to use on your website and sometimes you don't, as the photographers are the ones that actually have all the rights to the photos. So, in saying that, even if you don't see many photos you like on a website, but are still interested in a certain vendor for hair or makeup, you should at least see if you can have a trial with them. Another really good makeup artist down the Cape is Maureen O'Connor of Magic Wand Makeup Artistry. We worked together as makeup artists before and she was not only talented, but one of the nicest people you could ever meet. I also think she has a hair stylist that she works with on occasion, so she might be worth checking into too.
    Sister of the bride, May 6, 2012!!!
  • Options
    I had this same debate about a year ago and I picked Lisa George and was more than impressed with her work.

I was an out-of-state bride with no recommendations, so it was even more stressful.  All I could go by was the reviews and intuition.  Utlimately, I decided to go with Lisa George bc of her impressive resume (she has done work with magazines).  I did compare prices and they were pretty much the same, so that was not a factor in my decision.

Lisa does the most amazing makeup job and really takes her time to make sure everything is perfect and that you are happy.  She also uses the top hair stylists on the Cape for bridal hair...they come for all differnt salons.  This way, you are getting the best of the best. I was so so so happy with my hair and makeup (which was a very important part to my day).  People still tell me how great the hair/makeup looked on all the bridal party + moms. 

The other nice thing about Lisa, is that she comes to you.  She (and her stylists) are sooo easy going and really become part of your 'getting ready' group.  Very easy to be around, which is exactly what you need the morning of your wedding day.

If you decide to go with Lisa, you will be so happy with her work.  Worth every prenny!

PS-Im actually surprised she has recieved negitive reviews...makes you wonder who wrote them because she is that good.  Feel free to message me with questions!  Good luck and enjoy!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!  I ended up going with Lisa George - I know a few other people who used her and said that she can have a bit of an attitude but is worth the money.  I thought Erin's work was just okay even from looking at other blogs, etc so I figured it was worth the money to go with someone who had stellar reviews on her work (her personality was the only negative thing I read aside from price).  Appreciate all the feedback!
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Lisa is amazing! I highly recommend her - she did makeup for myself and my bridesmaids as well as mom and mother-in-laws and grandma for my September 2011 wedding at Ocean Edge. I found her to be very warm (and funny), as well as her assistant artist. She also listens to what you want - in my experience with makeup artists that has not always been the case. Definitely book her!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards