South Asian Weddings

Final Grandpa Update

Got an update from my uncle this morning. Grandpa's condition has deteriorated to the point that they can't do anything else for him. Everything they've tried has worked for a little while, but now they've done everything they and treatment is "no longer a viable option," according to the doctors. His kidneys have completely shut down and whenever they try to run dialysis, his heart stops.

They're just waiting it out at this point. It could be a day or a month. So the family is all going to be headed up to Georgia this week to say goodbye.

He's 71. He got a sinus infection. It was just a sinus infection. I'm not ready to lose him yet.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Final Grandpa Update

• edited December 2011
    Oh Beloved, I am so, so sorry to hear. There are just no words to describe how you must be feeling. Sending thoughts and prayers for you and your family.
    ExerciseMilestone
  • edited December 2011
    Turns out nobody is going to Georgia to say goodbye. My mom just called. The doctors are saying it’s a matter of hours before he’s gone. There wouldn’t be time for us to drive up because it’s a 6-hour drive with good weather and no stops. It’s been raining off and on all day and my two kids can’t make it 6 hours without needing to stop for diaper changes and food, and my sisters aren’t home yet from a trip they took this weekend for the baby sister’s birthday - they’re still a two-hour drive way from home, so it would be 2 1/2 hours if they left right now before we could leave to head up there. Mom says we wouldn’t get there in time even if we left right now. He’ll be gone before we even make it to the state line.

She wasn't going to tell me that. She only told me because I asked her when we were going to head up there. She told me not to tell my sisters or cousins yet because they think it would be best if they told us all together.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry.  I know this has been a particularly rough summer for you and losing your grandfather really is so sad.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    He's gone. Mom just called again. They pronounced Grandpa dead at 1:30. My sisters already knew because my aunt told one cousin, who told my sisters. The kids are on their way home now and Mom and her siblings will be home on Friday. They're staying up there till then to help Grandpa's wife with funeral arrangements and whatnot. They're planning a memorial service down here for next week.

Thanks for all your kind thoughts and prayers. They're really meant a lot.
  • edited December 2011
    I am so, so, so sorry Beloved. My deepest sympathies to you and your family.
    ExerciseMilestone
  • kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My deepest condolences for your loss Beloved!  My positive thoughts and prayers are with your family during this time!  I hope that the good memories of your Grandpa prevail, because you know he's in a much happier place!

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • temurlangtemurlang member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Beloved, I'm so sorry this has happened, especially after all you've been through recently.

I also lost my mother really suddenly like that, so I know what you meant when you said you're not ready.  When it happens so quickly we aren't emotionally prepared so it's even harder.  I tell myself all the time that even if it means more suffering for me it was less suffering for my mom and that is a little comforting.

Thoughts and prayers for you and your family, especially your mother, during this difficult time.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks, ladies. It hurts, but he's not in any more pain and that's a good thing. Memorial service will be on Sunday afternoon, and then we're going to bury his ashes next to my grandmother's.
  • SonaliPopSonaliPop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm late to offer my condolences but I am very sorry to hear about your loss. Take good care of yourself. We're all thinking of you and your family.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards