Canada-Ontario

Hamilton and area reception venues

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone on here can give me their opinions on any of these places.

Carmen's, Oakville Conference Centre, The Atrium (at the Burlington Convention Centre) and Michelangelo's.

Could you tell me what you think about the food, and just the venue in general? We've checked most of them out, but I still can't choose!

Price doesn't play a role, we just want good quality food and lots to drink!

Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Hamilton and area reception venues

• edited December 2011
    how many people are you having?  there are some really nice places in the niagara area, but they only hold 100 or less.  Geraldo's at Lasalle Park also looks awsome and I've heard its a great venue.
  • AngelinaWAngelinaW member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiance and I are getting married at and also having our reception at Geraldo's at Lasalle Park. We love it there and so far everyone that works there has been awesome! It is a beautiful location :)
  • edited December 2011
    We are having about 125 people.

I forgot to mention that we are looking for somewhere  close to a hotel, if not attached to one. We will have a lot of OOT guests and guests we want to provide with accommodation options for after the reception.

I have kind of looked into Geraldo's, but I don't know if it can fit 125, and if there is a hotel nearby?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Preppy Sailor had her wedding at Geraldo's - hopefully she'll pop in and give her opinion.  You can find pictures here: http://preppysailor.weebly.com/
  • nicolecayernicolecayer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding at the Atrium last summer, and to be honest... its a little small for 125 people, there were around the same number at the wedding I was at and we were pretty squished at dinner. Also, the drinks were very light on booze, I could hardly taste it.
  • naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't been to a wedding at any of those places, sorry.

I can recommend the Harbour Banquet & Conference Center in Oakville.  There are a few hotels 5 min away and the conference center was planning a shuttle to the hotels.  They have a room that definitely holds 125 people with a great view of the lake.  Some of the packages are a bit pricey but it's a nice place and they have packages that include DJ/cake/etc.

There's a place in Burlington on the lake at the Waterfront Hotel (used to be called something else).  Their banquet hall is attached to the hotel and it is run through Marquis Gardens.  That room holds up to 140 I think.  It's not the nicest room ever but it's on the lake and attached to the hotel.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for the review on The Atrium. I just went there today and my only negative thought was that it seemed kind of small for 125 people.

Being light on booze isn't good either.

It's still in the running though.

If anyone has been to a wedding at the Oakville Conference Centre, please let me know how that was. If you have pictures, I'd love you forever lol...because I can't picture it set up.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I guess I should mention that having high ceilings is very important to me. I want the reception to feel "bigger" than it is.

I don't want to feel like I'm in my grandma's basement. You'd be surprised how many halls are like this.

That's why I like Carmens and the OCC...the rooms grander, although plain which my fiance isn't keen on.

I'm so confused. I've been to 10 venues now, in 4 cities, and have come up with NOTHING.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A venue that has a huge ballroom with big ceilings is the Royal Botanical Gardens in Burlington.  Huge ballroom, gorgeous, with a little outdoor area.  It seats up to 300 but we saw it set up for 130 and it was fine - nice and spacious, not cramped.  Lots of room for dancing.

The food is catered by Pepperwood.  Although I haven't eaten at the RBG, I've eaten at Pepperwood and the food is great.

Here is the RBG's wedding document: www.rbg.ca/Document.Doc?id=167
  • sallen11sallen11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My wedding in April is at the Harbour Banquet & Conference Centre in Oakville. The room could easily hold 125 people, probably closer to 200 and it has high ceilings and a great view of the lake and harbour. We are getting the Gala package which includes the cake, DJ, limo, hotel room, and a few more extras and I found it to be a good price compared to other places we looked. Mind you, we did get a discount because April is considered off-season.

• earnshaw1000earnshaw1000 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our reception is at the Courtyard by Marriott in Hamilton.  We're having about 110.  The food is absolutely AMAZING!  They do an amazing beef tenderloin and stuffed shrimp.  The ballroom is also very nice.  It has some amazing chandeliers.  The ceilings aren't super high, but not low either. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards