Canada-Ontario

Toronto venues for a smalll wedding?

My fiance and I have been engaged for three weeks and are just starting to talk about planning. Friends have told me the best way is to choose a venue first and let everything else be decided around the space. We are looking for something small (40-50) in Toronto in a historic space or restaurant. Ideally, we would like to have the ceremony and reception at the same place. We would be grateful for any tips/hints/suggestions!

Re: Toronto venues for a smalll wedding?

• unplainjaneunplainjane member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    how many people is a small wedding? if you want something historic. i'm going to a couple of weddings at the berkeley church this summer. so that place seems popular. check out places in the distillery district. there are nice restaurants there and the area is really nice. other toronto options are the old mill inn by high park, the botanical gardens, and the gladstone hotel. palais royale seems cool too but that's if you want more of a waterside wedding. 
  • edited December 2011
    Another nice place to consider is Black Creek Pioneer Villiage at Steeles/Jane. It's a historic 1850's village and they have a church and reception venue onsite. My FI and I are doing our engagement shoot here, since we can't do our wedding there because we have too many guests. It's gorgeous. Congrats on the engagement btw. :-D
  • edited December 2011
    Check out the Arts and Letters Club in Toronto, it's a beautiful old building with tons of history  and character on a charming sidestreet just around the corner from Young/Dundas. It's really intimate (max 112p) and Sarah the event coordinater is amazing. We loved it and if we didn't end up going with the rowing club it would have been our venue. The Delta Chelsea hotel is literally 300m away which we also thought was a huge bonus for overnight guests/parking.
    www.artsandlettersclub.ca
    May 2011 March Siggy: Our Venue~ Toronto Argonaut Rowing Club
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Sarah & Geoff~ May 14th, 2011
  • edited December 2011
    There is the Arts and Letters club near U of T.  It is historic and perfect for about 50 people.

• edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone, we are looking to approximately 50 people (max) and the Arts & Letters Club looks simply perfect! I really appreciate all the feedback, so thank you again!
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Don't forget about restaurants!

I would have LOVED to have a wedding that size at one of our favourite restaurants!

Also consider some of the art galleries in the Distillery District.

GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • rokevenarokevena member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Be very wary when booking with the distillery district. The food is below average. My fiance and I were looking into booking with them and even had a space on hold. We wwent for dinner at one the establishments and were disgusted by the food.
  • LevenahLevenah member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_toronto-venues-smalll-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:d59a8ddc-9b02-4e93-a105-4eae7c2bd78bPost:609ceb19-c3a2-4f18-8109-8f01c40143bf">Re: Toronto venues for a smalll wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Be very wary when booking with the distillery district. The food is below average. My fiance and I were looking into booking with them and even had a space on hold. We wwent for dinner at one the establishments and were disgusted by the food.
    Posted by rokevena[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This. We went there last week during our engagement pictures for lunch, and I couldn't believe I paid that much for such horrible food.

</div>
  • edited December 2011
    Love this venue.  Since you can make the backdrop into anything you want.  I wish I found this place after I booked my venue!

http://www.ardevents.com/
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Try the Rectory Cafe on the Island.  They can fit about 60 people and it's so beautiful:

Adam Rotenberg
    General Manager
    The Rectory Cafe
    416 203-2152
    adam.rotenberg@rogers.com

• edited December 2011
    A g/f of mine was looking in to the Spadina house at one point for a small wedding... no clue where it is.. but it might be useful!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Check out http://www.dancedistrict.ca/

They aren't historic but beautiful and cheap!
  • edited December 2011
    The arts and letters club at 14 Elm St. is perfect.  We're getting married there in september with about 100 people.  Part art gallery, part historical institution, part event space, and all gorgeous.  Best part: it's technically not for profit.  So it's way cheaper than most "wedding venues".
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards