Pennsylvania-Central
Options

I think we've found the venue -- but one question...

After an exhaustive search of venues, I think we've finally made a decision. We've been looking in York and Lancaster, and haven't found anything that felt right -- we liked the thought of an early October outside ceremony and inside reception, but we're more indoor people and the thought of rain with no back-up plans scared us away.

Finally, yesterday, we went and looked at the National Civil War Museum in Harrisburg. We both enjoy history and that era, and his son (10) is a huge Civil War buff. The venue is beautiful and huge and the cost is almost $2k less than every other venue we've looked at.

The only possible downfall is the location -- we live in Mountville - he's from Lancaster, I'm from York. My thought is, if we had the wedding in either York or Lancaster, one of our groups of family and friends would have to drive; having it in Harrisburg means everyone has to drive.

Do you see this as an issue??
photo KimberlyWedding_zps9ece9155.jpg

Re: I think we've found the venue -- but one question...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My fiance and I are from York, as well. We chose the Mulberry Art Studio, which is in Lancaster. I was worried about my family driving even further since some of my family is from Maryland. My Dad said that it is your wedding and you do what you want. If the Civil War Museum is what you want and you can picture yourself getting married there than that is the venue for your wedding. You decided don't worry about other people. They have the choice to not come, but you have to be happy with your chose.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree that you should have it where you want.  I think that as long as there isn't a huge distance between the church and reception, you should be good.  If they're both in the same place, even better!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Go for it!  You have nothing to worry about, people drive further than that to go shopping so I'm sure your family and friends will make the drive on your big day. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I live right outside Harrisburg(10-15 minute drive) and we're getting married in Lancaster. I have people asking me why it is "so far away" but I tell them I fell in love with the venue and thats that. I keep calling ita  "mini destination" hehe. It's about a 45-60 minute drive from my house but you cant help what your want for your wedding. :D
  • Options
    stepinger2011stepinger2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Im getting married at Long's Park in Lancaster on Saturday (Praying for better weather than what its calling for lol)... My family is driving 6.5 HOURS to be at my wedding. My MOH and one of my BM's is driving from where my family is also. I have a BM driving in from Virginia (also a 6+ hour drive) and FI has a GM coming in from AZ. No one on my side of the family is complaining. Although ppl on HIS who are only driving 40 minutes are like "why couldnt you have it closer" I just basically said its what we wanted and in our price range.

I think York to Harrisburg/ Lancaster to Harrisburg is doable :)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't think so... I'm from NE PA and my fiance is from California... and our friends are all over NJ & PA... and we're having our wedding in lewisburg (at bucknell)... so EVERYONE has to travel... but that's where we want it so we're going for it!
    Wedding Planning Bio & For Sale: valeriewalter.weebly.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    bornholdtkbornholdtk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Everyone will have to travel for our Leola, PA wedding (FI is from Bucks County, PA and I'm originally from New Jersey) but, honestly, I think everyone is so excited to celebrate with us that they don't mind travelling.

Ultimately, it's you/your FI's day and you should have it where you want! And this venue sounds absolutely perfect for the two of you - I'm sure everyone will travel happily! However, I definitely agree with the earlier post about ensuring that the distance between your ceremony and reception locations isn't too far.

Happy planning!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards