Illinois-Chicago
Options

Name Change

What do I need to bring with me to change my name on my license? Just the certified copy of our marriage license and my current license?

Also, does it matter if I update my name on my social security card first or if I update my license first?

Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Name Change

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I believe you need to do the SS piece first.

Then bring a copy of your new SS card with your marriage license and your current DL.
  • Options
    u_rica77u_rica77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You don't need to change your SS card before your license. You only need the certified marriage certificate and your old license and State ID if you have one.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker< br > Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

There was just a post about the order of name change.

The "proper" order is SS office, then DMV then credit cards, etc.

I went to the SS office first with my official marriage license, SS application, and passport.

Once I received my new SS card with my new name on it, I took that, the marriage license and my driver's license to the DMV.  They didn't even look at the marriage license, just the SS card and my "old" license.

I'd save yourself the time and go to the SS office first.  It's better to be safe than sorry!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Awesome. Thanks for the help, ladies!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    btw, i love your bio! put some vendor reviews in there and i will post to the chicago married knotties page! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards