October 2013 Weddings

The Etiquette Board

The Ettiquette Board is full of great possitive women. They were really clear and thoughtul with their suggestions/opinions. And no, the conlusion wasn't that the kids room was absurd, a few of them are doing it and others have seen it work out beaufitully.

They helped me come to the conclusion to just univite the families that cause problems. The problem causing types would bring their kids into the reception anyway even if it was clear that it was an ADULT only weekend. Why risk it?:-) My mom totally agrees (she apprently personally isn't fond of them). Now we can use that space (Originally a game/lounge room) as a great post-reception party spot for those who plan to continue the party deep into the night.

Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Graduation tickersLilySlim Weight loss tickers Check out My Blog

Re: The Etiquette Board

• Meh - whatever. Just read your post there, and your original question on our board was worded in a totally different tone.

If you go back and read the thread here, you will see that my (and others') original response was the exact same thing as what the etiquette board mostly stated - to invite the parents only and expect them not to arrive since children are also not invited.

It wasn't until your second response on your board that hinted that you were still going to do the "child room only" that people really spoke up. I still feel I didn't say anything totally rude and still think you're a nice person. Nice people can have moments that seem odd.

If our advice isn't "as good" as the etiquette board even though we said the same thing, then so be it, and it's nice that you told them as much in your post.

Glad they were helpful!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• @CooperGirl Thanks! It is a HUGE relief! I really didn't want to just not invite them without an legitimate reason. And if there wasn't a good reason I'm 76% sure they would have shown up anyway. I did not feel comfortable with that at all, if you can imagine lol.

@SewinLove I'm not saying the advice here was terrible...It's hard to take advice when someone starts off with how absurd and idea is, when ideas are just ideas. So it was hard to listen when you catch phrases explaining how absurd you and how I need to take a trip the the etiquette board, etcetera. The negative reactions and comments was a major turn off to actually reading what people were trying to say.

Bad metaphor: It's like turning on a talk show to learn about how the new tax laws are going to change your current investments and what you can do to preserve your estate but everyone who came to speak on the topic trashed your 2008 presidential candidate before giving you the information you were seeking. You sort of discredit the good information when you're introduced to the stuff that was primarily negative and unnecessary since the election is way past over.

Also, I offered more information here because clarification was urged in a lot of the previous posts I had posted. The fertility thing because is the only thing I know for certain is a huge factor in not wanting kids there; an explanation.

Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Graduation tickersLilySlim Weight loss tickers Check out My Blog
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2012
    I feel the need to speak up about this post.  First, on the etiquette board, you failed to mention the "donations" part of the babysitting.  If my memory serves me correctly, that was one of the major things that people on this board had a problem with.  Second, the advice you got on the etiquette board closely mirrored the advice that you got here.   You framed your question on that board to incorporate the ideas that were given to you on this board (including only inviting close family members' kids, having an adults only weekend etc).  In fact, I had to laugh when one person over there even asked the exact same question I did, which was, what would happen if one of these kids decides he doesn't want to be in that room?  Is someone going to kick him out?

To be fair, I didn't closely read everything that was said on the etiquette board, but I failed to find any responses that said that they have seen it work out "beautifully" or are doing it also.  In fact, there was the same general disagreement about whether it was a good idea, and whether it would even work.  

With that being said, I found what you posted on the etiquette board to be a bit rude.  No one said your idea was absurd (in fact only one poster here said that we on this board would comment if we thought that something was slightly absurd - hardly the "majority of women there just wanted to tell me how absurd I was for suggesting a kids room" that you claim happened).  Additionally, I don't think anyone on this board recommended that you go post on the etiquette board "so they can laugh as I'm "eaten alive" by you ladies!"  You seem to be wanting to start some kind of drama with the women on this board by saying things like that.  

The bottom line is that you got good advice here, and you incorporated it into your question on the etiquette board, where you received similar (and in some cases exactly the same) advice as you got here.  I think you need to seriously take a step back and examine what you were told in your original "No Kids Zone" post to see if anyone was attacking you.  In your response to SewInLove, above, you make the same argument that everyone on this board began by attacking you and saying your idea is absurd, which simply isn't true, and doesn't win you any friends on any board (people can see that you lie and exaggerate about what happens on threads since they can go read them themselves and will be less likely to want to help you in the future).  

• Agree with PP. As an outsider, your tone was completly different between the two boards. But I'm glad that you found a solution!
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • @You guys: It's really not that serious.

And the eaten alive was from another post by a poster here but the same poster once again suggested that I go to "go over to freaking Etiquette and ask them! I bet you hate their responses just as much as mine" lol I blended the two together.

Like I said before I only scanned through your posts and only caught bits and pieces when I logged back in. So really I don't know what you all posted it was far to negative sounding for me to take the posts seriously. So as soon as the critisism started I stoped fully reading

meme love

Once again it is not that serious. I thought you all needed more information, a colorful picture since my previous posts we're descriptive enough. I gave them the bones and they didn't really ask for more. haha

@vgarlin Thanks! I have to pre-submitting numbers and ordering our invitations by the ned of this month so decisions had to be made ASAP. The solution came with much releif!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards