Wedding Woes

Should I change my wedding venue?

So the place that we are getting married or should I say the place that as of right now that we are planning on getting married at has mixed up some things for our guests and I am worried that it is a sign of how other things are going to go. Some of my guests rented a chalet home that is on site and rented though the inn that we are getting married at about 4 months ago now the owns of the house want to use it the weekend of my wedding so my guest can no longer stay there. When the place contacted me to ask what they should do I told them to call the guest directly. Three weeks went by and they did not call the guest so i reached out to the inn and they let me know that the reason behind them not contacting the guest was they were trying to get them an upgraded home at no additional cost to them. Which is understandable and the correct thing to do in my eyes, I thanked them and told them that if that didn't work out which home I thought would be good these guest. They told me no problem. Now they just contacted my guest and told them that there is only one house that they can have and it not the one that I had asked them to hold for them or is it the upgrade. In fact it is a house that will not work for these people at all because of the the guests staying in the house are adults and two of the bedrooms have bunk beds. So I am left feeling bad for my guests and I also have little to no faith in the place that is handling a very important day in my life. I am not sure what to do I don't want to freak out on the place and then have to work with them for months to put together a wedding but I don't want them to think that this kind of thing is OK with me either? Should I just walk away and lose my deposit and try and find a different place? 

Re: Should I change my wedding venue?

• We are getting married in a very small town so it is the only place to stay in about 10 miles of the wedding. 
  • I think you need to find something that will be right in all of your pictures.  You don't want to be looking back at your wedding album years from now and think 'I didn't like this place - we should have gone to the other place'.  Money may be tight but it can be replaced - but memories last FOREVER!  Laughing
  • I would have a few more questions first --- how long until your wedding? Would you have time to find another place, reserve it and still be ready? How long has it been since you made the reservations with this venue? Meaning.. how long have they known about your wedding verses whatever else has suddenly come up? Did you have a contract that you signed? If so... go back and read it carefully and see what it says about the venue itself making changes.

If you're not ready to just drop this venue and see what else you can find... go in there, sit down face to face with the manager/owner/decision maker... and explain your dilemma. Let him/her know that you are very disappointed, this experience has made you seriously doubt their ability to provide adequate services to you, and that if something isn't done to make this right, you will cancel your reservation and find another venue who is willing to work with you.

Let them tell you what your other options are, and then decide from there. Chances are, they want your business. If you approach it right, you may still be able to fix this.
  • Did you have a contract for this house? If so they have breached the contract and you can leave with your deposit.  That is the point of signing one, to protect both of you.  If not, then here is what I suggest.  Handle it with a business attitude.  Call them, tell them this is unacceptable.  You were told one thing and given another and that is not okay.  Try to keep your emotions out of it (I know that is really hard to do)  If you feel you can't maybe get some back-up...your father or FFIL or an uncle.  Often times a place is more likely to listen to a mature man, sadly, then a young bride.  (It is what it is) But some "back-up" might help you get more of what you want.  They seem like that will try and fix it.  Even if that means you have to pick a different place and have the venue pay for a shuttle, to bring people back and forth.  Fight for your right to have a perfect wedding day!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards