Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

*RecoveringActor*/anyone else FI purchased their suit

FI is tall and skinny and I think it makes the most sense for him to buy a suit for the wedding and then get it tailored to fit really nicely. Plus, even though he doesn't need to wear a suit often, the one that he owns is way big on him and he looks ridiculous, so I think one that fits well would be good for him to have.

Initially, he didn't care for the idea, since it is a little extra $$, but when we brought it up with his family they thought it made sense so now he's considering it. My question is, if your FI bought a suit to wear, what will the groomsmen wear? Did they still rent something or did they all buy suits too?

Thanks!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: *RecoveringActor*/anyone else FI purchased their suit

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Depending on how fancy/casual your wedding will be, I think some had their GMs buy suits (which can be practically the same at the $100-150 to rent a tux) OR, some have just gone with khakis and shirts with or without blazers.  I think the khaki look is good for beachy/outdoor weddings.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    DH bought a new tux at Jos. A. Bank.  He bought a very classic single button notch lapel that he wore with a bowtie.  He asked the guys to rent something of the same style and wear bowties.  Three rented, one already owned the same style suit.   They all looked fabulous and you couldn't tell they were from different places (the three that rented got them from MW).

ETA: if anyone knows how to save a picture from the new FB album viewing, please let me know. OR if you know how to change it back to the original way of viewing photos, please let me know that too. thanks
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Amerbutt81Amerbutt81 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    JEGs bought a suit because he desperately needed a new one.  We had like 294927439827 other weddings and his current suit was from his high school graduation-- circa 1999.  Let's just say it didn't fit anymore.

He went to the Mens Warehouse and got a really nice shirt, jacket, pants and tie for $300 I think.  If your FI is tall, he should look into getting a three button jacket.  The lapel will sit better on a person who are taller, whereas a two button will puff out a little.

I think all the groomsmen either already had suits or bought one because they needed new ones.  Since JEGs is only friends with people who are 6' and above, they all wore the same style jacket (three button) and we purchased matching ties for them as well.

this is the best picture I could find of all the guys..

Mrs. JEGs
    est 7.17.10
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2md4eb4.jpg[/IMG]
    Hunter Fillmore
    October 1, 2011

Lizzie In Progress
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are lucky enough to have a small wedding party so we made the decision to buy FI's suit and then buy the 2 groomsmen the same suit as their gifts.  We went to Men's Wearhouse and it worked out really well. Picked out the suit, FI got his altered and then Men's Wearhouse shipped the 2 GM suits to stores near them.  We're just telling them to wear white shirts and black dress shoes. The only other thing we need to do is buy the ties for them.  Got a good deal at Men's Wearhouse too bc it was buy one, get one 1/2 off. So we got three suits for a really good price!

I will also be buying our BM dresses for the 2 bridesmaids as their gift.
  • Options
    Bean32Bean32 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI and his 6 gromsmen are all buying a khaki suit for our wedding. He made sure to clear it with all the guys before making that decision. One said he would have a hard time affording it, so that's going to be his present from FI. Jos A Bank has some great sales and our salesman said he could get us a group discount too, so it'll only come out being a little bit more than renting (and this way they get to keep it instead of paying all that $ to just wear it just one day).
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Wow. I'm surprised so many chose to buy their suit/tux. Thanks for the tips. Our wedding is I guss pretty formal; I think what Amer's men wore would be perfect for ours. FI has this idea that he wants to wear "a really dark grey" suit, but I'm hoping that once he goes shopping he'll change his mind to black. I just don't want to deal with matching grey, and I think it would look funny if the guys wore black and he wore dk grey since they're so close.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

DH bought a Joseph Abboud tux from Nordstrom for our wedding last year - just a classic black one.  The groomsmen rented tuxedos from Men's Wearhouse that looked nearly identical.  Aside from looking at the tags, there was no way you could tell the difference.

He did rent a black vest and shoes (which he kicked himself about bec they were not comfy AT ALL) from MW.  He bought a white shirt and purple tie. 

Here's the link to our photographer's blog so you can see the pics since I'm too lazy to PIP:

http://www.alisonconklin.com/blog.cfm?postID=345

Yorkie Jenga

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I finally got the picture. classic black tuxes, you can't tell they aren't all from the same place.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry I didn't see this until now... my internet went kerplooey yesterday and I've only just been able to get online.  Stupid lightning.

but yes, we picked out one particular suit from Jos A Banks, and all of the groomsmen are going to buy that suit.  They have sales ALL THE TIME, so don't buy a suit full price.  We got Gzilla's for $165.  It's $550 regular priced.
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards