Rhode Island
Options

June 2013 Wedding - Hotels in Providence or Portsmouth

Hello!

We are planning our June 2013 wedding at the Glen Manor House in Portsmouth, RI.  My fiance's family is from NY, so about 1/3 of the guest list will be from out of town.  My family is local, so most will not stay at the hotel (another 1/3).  We expect our friends, the last 1/3 of the guest list to be 50/50 on the hotel.

We want to find a hotel that does not have a 2 night minimum, has decent rates and will allow us to set aside more than 10 rooms for the block (without penalty)... I can dream, right?!

We've had zero success in the Portsmouth area... all require 2 nights.  Providence has been better (we'll get a shuttle for the guests), but they are all requiring a guarantee on the rooms... something we're nervous to do!

Has anyone had better success?  If not, how did you manage?  This has been the most stressful part of the planning, believe it or not.  Thanks in advance!

Re: June 2013 Wedding - Hotels in Providence or Portsmouth

• Options
    Our wedding was at the Biltmore, so that may be why they didn't require us to guarantee the rooms.  We ended up having 40+ rooms booked, but we didn't have to have a certain number booked when we intitially set aside the block.  There weren't any penalties.  Again, this could have been bc our wedding was there but they are definitely worth a try if you haven't already.  I worked with Joy and she was great to work with.
    Married July 2011; TTC since April 2011
    HSG and CD3 B/W - normal; SIS - one fibroid not impacting uterus; Several SA - low numbers across the board
    Moving right to IVF with ICSI
    ER: 8/17/12; 13R, 11M, 9F
    ET: 8/20/12; 2 "beautiful" embies transferred and 1 frobaby on ice
    Beta #1: 8/31/12 - BFP at 89!
    Beta #2: 9/3/12 - 315
    Beta #3: 9/10/12 - 6,109
    1st U/S: 9/24/12 - One little bean with a strong heartbeat!
    It's a boy!
    PAIF/SAIF welcome!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Blog: Project Make a Baby
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    That is great to know - thank you!!!

If you don't mind me asking, do you remember how much the per room rate was?  What time of year did you have your wedding?
  • Options
    i2012doi2012do member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    My friend just got married this past weekend....and her block of 20 rooms was at the biltmore. I asked her, she had no penalty for unbooked rooms and didn't have to guarantee.
    www.weddedeverafter.blogspot.com
    167 Invited image 34 Attending image Declined 4 image Still Waiting 129 image
  • Options
    Did you check with Roger Williams University? They bought the old Ramada Inn in Portsmouth for dorms, but, in the summer when school isn't in session they use it as a hotel. Might be worth looking in to. Did you look in Middletown, too? There's a number of hotels there, like the Courtyard Marriot and Holiday Inn Express. Neither are far from Glenn Manor.
    We're selling some things left from our wedding! http://weddinggoodsforsale.weebly.com/ Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Anniversary
  • Options
    I am getting married in November and I have used Newport Beach Hotel and Suites for my room block--they were originally only going to give me 5 rooms, but I got permission for 10 with more being added as rooms filled up.  This is also where I am having my reception so that might be working in my favor.    I am also doing a block at Comfort Inn in Middletown as well.  There is no two night minimum or penalty.  I did have to pay $50 to set up the block at the Comfort Inn though.  I wonder if there is a minimum because you are getting married during tourist season?  
    Rachelle at Newport Beach has been great to work with.  Good Luck!  
  • Options
    thanks for the help everyone! we called the biltmore today and secured a block!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_rhode-island_june-2013-wedding-hotels-in-providence-or-portsmouth?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:122Discussion:c736da71-a340-4c8b-b94f-0594b5627a59Post:a43694fd-b0ee-426b-8d01-2a52f148a0d7">Re: June 2013 Wedding - Hotels in Providence or Portsmouth</a>:
    [QUOTE]thanks for the help everyone! we called the biltmore today and secured a block!
    Posted by CarissaLynn19[/QUOTE]
    Excellent!  Happy to hear it worked out for you.  Sorry I didn't see your earlier post.  Don't know if you still need to know, but our wedding was 4th of July weekend and the regular king room was $139 + tax and parking and the deluxe was $159 + tax and parking.
    Married July 2011; TTC since April 2011
    HSG and CD3 B/W - normal; SIS - one fibroid not impacting uterus; Several SA - low numbers across the board
    Moving right to IVF with ICSI
    ER: 8/17/12; 13R, 11M, 9F
    ET: 8/20/12; 2 "beautiful" embies transferred and 1 frobaby on ice
    Beta #1: 8/31/12 - BFP at 89!
    Beta #2: 9/3/12 - 315
    Beta #3: 9/10/12 - 6,109
    1st U/S: 9/24/12 - One little bean with a strong heartbeat!
    It's a boy!
    PAIF/SAIF welcome!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Blog: Project Make a Baby
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards