Getting in Shape
Options

new things

What are some new things (work outs, activities, food, whatever) you are hoping to try out for the first time in the near future?

I really want to start swimming, I know its great cardio and since I injured my knees last year I am still worried about hurting them again so I think it might be a great activity for me to try out. I also want to start doing more of my lifting on a stability ball instead of a bench, I have tried it in the past but im not consistant so I would like to start doing it more often.

Re: new things

• Options
    I want to improve my endurance.  Swimming, running, anything really...I am all about big bursts of energy and I want to be able to improve this so that I won't be so scared every time FI mentions going x-country skiing at the cottage or kayaking for a day...these are things I am NOT good at so I tend to steer clear of.

I want to start doing things like pull ups and proper push ups because even if I can't do many I need to stop having a list of things that I can't do just because they are tough to do.

I really want to start doing yoga/pilates once a week because it is good for my core muscles and for stretching and flexibility. I tend not to do it because I see it as a 'waste of a trip' to the gym but really, those exercises are still important. 
  • Options
    I was JUST thinking we should do this...esp. with the new food to try. Lately I have really been trying to mix it up & try new things. I was inspired by the whole wheat pizza I had the other week & we decided to buy a pizza stone, whole wheat pizza dough from TJs, pizza sauce, skim mozzarella and fresh tomatoes to make our own pizza tonight :)

Some yummy snack-y things I have had lately are as follows...

-Vanilla Creme Brulee mini quaker rice snacks (they taste like rice crispy treats!)
    -Jello Chocolate mousse cups (60 calories) 
    -TJ's chile dried pineapple (8 pieces for 100 cals)
    -Barenaked Fit Vanilla Almond Crunch Granola (only has 4 grams of sugar)
    -Simply Organic Chai Spice Scones -- had this morning & they are delicious! 

Photobucket
  • Options
    I love kayaking and swimming!  Whitewater rafting is a great workout too.  I want to get better at running, but I get shin splints.  I am hoping to take some weight off then try the C25K again.  I fanaticise about being a great runner!  Any advice would be great!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_new-things?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:f465ef76-0c55-490c-aef3-fbada404e106Post:dd63f263-6b9b-4979-86df-831e660e0f78">Re: new things</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was JUST thinking we should do this...esp. with the new food to try. Lately I have really been trying to mix it up & try new things. I was inspired by the whole wheat pizza I had the other week & we decided to buy a pizza stone, whole wheat pizza dough from TJs, pizza sauce, skim mozzarella and fresh tomatoes to make our own pizza tonight :) Some yummy snack-y things I have had lately are as follows... -Vanilla Creme Brulee mini quaker rice snacks (they taste like rice crispy treats!) -<strong>Jello Chocolate mousse cups (60 calories)</strong>  -TJ's chile dried pineapple (8 pieces for 100 cals) -Barenaked Fit Vanilla Almond Crunch Granola (only has 4 grams of sugar) -Simply Organic Chai Spice Scones -- had this morning & they are delicious! 
    Posted by tinydancer842[/QUOTE]
    Ive been wanting to try these but none of the grocery stores in my area seem to have them. I have been getting sugar free jello cups instead, I cant resist a snack that only has 5cal in it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_new-things?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:f465ef76-0c55-490c-aef3-fbada404e106Post:001b6ec1-7ea5-40e2-82c2-149aee807a6c">Re: new things</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love kayaking and swimming!  Whitewater rafting is a great workout too.  I want to get better at running, but I get shin splints.  I am hoping to take some weight off then try the C25K again.  I fanaticise about being a great runner!  Any advice would be great!
    Posted by demeoja[/QUOTE]

What kind of surface are you running on? From personal experience, concrete and asphault tend to induce more shin splints than ground or track.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I have started doing the 30 day shred again and after not being able to walk last weekend, I feel great!  I am doing it about every 3 days so that I can do longer cardio in between.  I just get tired of the same weight lifting routine so I wanted to do something different for a while.  I would love to swim, but the nearest swimming place is the YMCA and I'm afraid I would spend a lot to join and then not be motivated to actually go.  It only takes about 15 minutes to get there, but I'm accustomed to working out either at work or in the basement so I'm all about convenience!! 

Also, I have started rewarding myself after a good workout with a glass of chocolate milk.  It has helped me to stick with the workout!!
  • Options
    They are actually very good -- found them at Wegmans...I think they are also more filling than the pudding & taste less like splenda.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I agree about the Jello Mousse cups...super yummy!

I bought Tosca Reno's "Eating Clean" book and am hoping to incorporate some of her ideas. I won't do everything, because I am not a huge fan of supplements. But I do think it is a good idea to eat mostly whole food that is not processed (although, I do love those jello cups..hehe).

I am also contemplating buying P90x. I've had personal training sessions for the past few months and it has been awesome, but they're almost up :-( I've been pretty good about doing cardio at the gym on my own, but I have a total lack of confidence when it comes to weights...sigh.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    New things to try?  I'm not sure.  This whole weight lifting thing is pretty new.  I guess I want to try and really push myself.  I want to try and up my weights ever workout.  Not sure how realistic that is.

Food wise, I want to try and find other thing to have for lunch and snacks.  So far I`ve been relying on ideas from NROL4W, and as tasty as the Tuna Avocado salad is, I don`t think I`ll be able to keep eating it two days a week for ever.

Nebb, does the Premier near you have a pool?  The one that closer to me (but not the one I go to, weird) has one.  And a boxing gym.  I guess that's one thing I like to try, boxing. 
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_new-things?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:f465ef76-0c55-490c-aef3-fbada404e106Post:9aec82d8-d81c-44de-a0b9-8a6ce4abcfcf">Re: new things</a>:
    [QUOTE]New things to try?  I'm not sure.  This whole weight lifting thing is pretty new.  I guess I want to try and really push myself.  I want to try and up my weights ever workout.  Not sure how realistic that is. Food wise, I want to try and find other thing to have for lunch and snacks.  So far I`ve been relying on ideas from NROL4W, and as tasty as the Tuna Avocado salad is, I don`t think I`ll be able to keep eating it two days a week for ever. <strong>Nebb, does the Premier near you have a pool?</strong>  The one that closer to me (but not the one I go to, weird) has one.  And a boxing gym.  I guess that's one thing I like to try, boxing. 
    Posted by raynes[/QUOTE]
    It DOES have a pool, two pools to be exact. We have a boxing studio too but im not overly interested in boxing, though my trainer did use to box and train boxing so Im sure if I could afford it (and was interested) she could train me.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_new-things?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:f465ef76-0c55-490c-aef3-fbada404e106Post:b7d27ab0-739e-4269-9bed-c8cb42a82cf3">Re: new things</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: new things : What kind of surface are you running on? From personal experience, concrete and asphault tend to induce more shin splints than ground or track.
    Posted by cac847[/QUOTE]

I was running in my neighborhood on pavement, then started running on a treadmill.  I won't get shin splints the first day of running, but the second I do even if it isn't consecutive days.  I might just get new shoes and see what happens.
  • Options
    I just tried a new class called BodyFlow.  Its Tae Chi, Yoga and Pilates all together in one class.  My goal is to tone so I'm starting small.  The class was great.  Lots of strength poses...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    I was going to quote but there are a few things I want to reply to so I'm just going to type LOL.

First of all...another vote for the Jello mousse cups...just bought my second six pack of them....YUMMY! Those chocolate whip yogurts taste nothing like regular chocolate mousse so I was very skeptical.

I am also trying to reduce my processed foods. I am going to be eating some processed foods, I am not an organic fan but I do believe that more natural foods are better. So more whole wheat (not enriched whole wheat) more veggies, more fruits etc etc.

I also wanted to say something to elishabelle...I see that you want to try P90X...so does my FI. My problem with that is that you need to buy some equipment in order to do all of it properly. Try to see if you can find the infomercial for "Insanity". It is the same principle, same kind of exercises, but it uses your own body weight and resistance to do it all. I think I am going to get it for my FI for his bday next month.

I am currently down 12lbs and I still have about 60lbs or so more to go! So I have a LONG way to go. Excited to be a part of this group though!!!
  • Options
    Yeah, I think I might get new shoes.  Hoping it helps!

Also, gillyd17 Let us know how your FI likes Insanity.  I've been watching that infomercial and am intrigued!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards