Getting in Shape

Worried about "maintaining" on MFP

So I reached my goal (it was just to lose 3 lbs, I'm pretty sure it made no difference haha) and so I was going to switch my MFP goal from losing .5 lbs/week to maintaining.  However, I'm worried that this increase in calories (eating 250 more calories/day) will make me gain weight.  I feel like maybe since I've been eating so few calories (1270/day) that once my body gets 250 more a day it will hold on to them.

Have any of you gone into "Maintenance" in MFP and had success?  Am I just being paranoid?
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Worried about "maintaining" on MFP

• edited June 2012
    I think actually what will happen is you may lose more weight at first because your body is going to work harder to burn those calories, especially if you're been eating at a deficit for any significant amount of time. If you're really worried about it don't go up the full 250 at first. Maybe do 1/2 that. But I think you may actually see the loss of another pound or two. The thing that concerns me with MFP (I use it too) is that I think the maintaining calorie limit it gives you may actually be less than what you really need to maintain. With the research I've been doing sounds like I should be eating about 100 extra calories more than MFP is telling me I need to maintain. Not sure if anyone else has experienced that...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • So you admit that you were putting yourself in "starvation" mode to make your body want to hold onto extra calories... ? 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_worried-about-maintaining-on-mfp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:81890327-23eb-41f7-8a47-8ea4e7ba024bPost:77d26362-c1b1-49af-b92b-a9f6bb4795f6">Re: Worried about "maintaining" on MFP</a>:
    [QUOTE]So you admit that you were putting yourself in "starvation" mode to make your body want to hold onto extra calories... ? 
    Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]

No!  I ate the 1270 calories (or sometimes a little over) that it recommended me.  I'm just worried that maybe that was still too few calories, you know?  I was never any more than 50 calories under my goal for the day.  Like yesterday I ran 7 miles and I had to (haha "had to") go get ice cream to get back up to 1270.

I just was wondering if adding 250 calories to my 1270 will make me hold on to those extra calories.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_worried-about-maintaining-on-mfp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:81890327-23eb-41f7-8a47-8ea4e7ba024bPost:77d26362-c1b1-49af-b92b-a9f6bb4795f6">Re: Worried about "maintaining" on MFP</a>:
    [QUOTE]So you admit that you were putting yourself in "starvation" mode to make your body want to hold onto extra calories... ? 
    Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]

No!  I ate the 1270 calories (or sometimes a little over) that it recommended me.  I'm just worried that maybe that was still too few calories, you know?  I was never any more than 50 calories under my goal for the day.  Like yesterday I ran 7 miles and I had to (haha "had to") go get ice cream to get back up to 1270.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_worried-about-maintaining-on-mfp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:81890327-23eb-41f7-8a47-8ea4e7ba024bPost:32351486-e038-4027-aa21-d2617e1a8fa0">Re: Worried about "maintaining" on MFP</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think actually what will happen is you may lose more weight at first because your body is going to work harder to burn those calories, especially if you're been eating at a deficit for any significant amount of time. If you're really worried about it don't go up the full 250 at first. Maybe do 1/2 that. But I think you may actually see the loss of another pound or two. The thing that concerns me with MFP (I use it too) is that I think the maintaining calorie limit it gives you may actually be less than what you really need to maintain. <strong>With the research I've been doing sounds like I should be eating about 100 extra calories more than MFP is telling me I need to maintain. Not sure if anyone else has experienced that...</strong>
    Posted by maribeth721[/QUOTE]

This happened to me! MFP has me set at 1610 calories right now (I upped my activity level to "lightly active", it was around 1425 at sedentary). My BMR is somewhere between 1562 (MFP number) and 1619 (from another webiste). I've been reading a lot that you should at least eat your BMR. Another website (<a href="http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/" rel="nofollow">http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/</a> - suggested on MFP) says I should eat 1781 calories for being "lightly active". It's all really confusing, haha.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • make sure your body flushing out calories..water, vegetable juice from a juicer...then dance or walk in place during a tv show....to make sure you are covered..
    loosing weight is a journey not a always a destination.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards