Illinois-Chicago
Options

Northern Illinois Affordable Reception Venue

I am planning a December 2013 wedding, and I need ideas of places to have our wedding reception. We are on a budget, so an affordable option is necessary. I am going to look at The Seasons of Long Grove, Maravela's in Fox Lake, and Deer Run Golf Course in Mundelein/Libertyville. Do you have any other suggestions of places we could hold our reception in Lake County or any comments about the venues I am looking at? I appreciate any help!

Re: Northern Illinois Affordable Reception Venue

• Options
    I am getting married at White Deer run. Prices are decent and they have been nice to work with so far.....
  • Options
    MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2012
    The Seasons in Long Grove is really nice, but when you take a tour, consider the layout of the rooms.  Depending on the amount of guests you are inviting, not all of your guests may necessarily have a table with a "straight view" of the wedding party.  The floor layout is a little "choppy". 

Your December date should help your budget, as that is traditionally considered "out of season".

Other areas we looked at are The Arboretum in Buffalo Grove, which is the venue we ultimately chose.  I would suggest looking at it.  If you want more information, I would be happy to share our experience.  Other Lake County venues we toured that you may want to consider were Kemper Lakes in Long Grove, The Onion Pub and Brewery in Barrington, The Makray in Barrington, and The Marriott in Lincolnshire.  I have also heard good things about Chevy Chase in Wheeling, and Old Orchard Country Club in Mt. Prospect.
  • Options
    Deer Run didn't even both to call or e-mail us back, despite repeated attempts to get in touch with someone there when we started planning.

We ultimately used Chevy Chase Country Club in Wheeling, and they were AMAZING to work with from start to finish. They catered to our every whim, the food was incredible, and the staff was amazing (the chef himself sat down with us and the venue coordinator to do our final menu planning).

Definitely give them some consideration.
  • Options
    Chevy Chase---nice place on outside but needs some updating on the inside I thought, but unless you have a large wedding, you will be in the Devonshire room and you won't be allowed to take pics on Golf Course....They are adding on some type of terrace which looks pretty nice, though

Old Orchard Country Club--cheap prices, but I thought it looked old and dingy there..The second I walked in , I thought "hell no..not having my wedding HERE"

Arboretum looked amazing and they were willing to throw in alot of perks for us..problem was they didn't have any dates available when I needed them..I really like it there, actually.. They book out FAST

• Options
    We chose Chevy Chase for our wedding. They are doing a lot of updating on both inside and outside. They just built a patio on the outside of the grand ballroom which can be used for ceremonies and during the reception. Also, the last time we were in there, they were re-doing the bar area. Hopefully they continue the updates! 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_northern-illinois-affordable-reception-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:f3cce94b-6a63-4e6b-b98f-e98cd732d9caPost:6e1abba5-f1ef-42ee-8554-1704ae788edd">Re: Northern Illinois Affordable Reception Venue</a>:
    [QUOTE]Chevy Chase---nice place on outside but needs some updating on the inside I thought, but unless you have a large wedding, you will be in the Devonshire room and you won't be allowed to take pics on Golf Course....They are adding on some type of terrace which looks pretty nice, though Old Orchard Country Club--cheap prices, but I thought it looked old and dingy there..The second I walked in , I thought "hell no..not having my wedding HERE" <u><strong>Arboretum looked amazing and they were willing to throw in alot of perks for us..problem was they didn't have any dates available when I needed them..I really like it there, actually.. They book out FAST
    Posted by loca4pook[/QUOTE]</strong></u>

As I said in my earlier post, that is the venue my daughter ultimately went with as well.  Chris and Mike are incredibly kind people who know their "stuff" and are very easy to work with.  They do indeed book fast, however, in part because they do have an excellent reputation.  My daughter signed in January 2010, for a June 2011 wedding.  We took the only Saturday open left that they had, 18 months out!  At that time, they had yet to update prices from 2009.  Chris was willing to give us those 2009 prices for our 2011 wedding. 
  • Options
    Hello! My name is Melissa. I am a wedding planner in the Lake County, IL area. I may be able to help you with planning your wedding. Please respond to this post, if you are interested. My fee is 200.00, flat fee. If this is too much, I could go down to a lowered figure. Please let me know if I can help you out. I specialize in planning wonderful weddings, on a budget. I hope to hear from you soon! Melissa Fox Lake, IL
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards