Wedding Reception Forum
Options

broke a hugeee bridal planning rule!

UGH!  We have 2 tables too many for our reception venue.  I know, that was stupid and I can't believe I did that.  Our dance floor will be the size of a postage stamp.  I have 8 kids coming- they are all cousins, ages 7 and above... what does everybody think of having a separate 'kids' table with crayons, etc- and have them sit at a 8' banquet table- it saves some room and gets rid of ONE of my round tables.  The coordinator doesn't like the idea of moving tables out of the way after dinner because it will be disruptive.  The kids all know how to behave- but I worry it'll stress the parents out?  The kids will probably mostly be up and dancing the whole time anyways- other then dinner time- which is a laid back pizza party reception. 

Any words of advice??  (I already know I made a mistake!)

Re: broke a hugeee bridal planning rule!

• Options
    I think a kid's table would be fine, but you can't really require them to sit there you know?  You should probably check with all of the parents first to be sure they will let the kids sit there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

One of the smaller venues we looked at suggested we put 2 tables on the dance floor that they can break down later.  I hated it for 2 reasons.  One- those guests will feel displaced and may want a spot of their own to sit and chill between dancing and a place to keep their stuff.  Also.. as with the PPs.. it seems disruptive.  Many halls do it though- so if you had no other choice- then I guess it can be done.

I like the idea of a kids table. 

How set is each table size?  I was at many halls where they said 8-10 or 10-12 per table.  If this is the case- maybe you can change the number of people per table.  Just be sure it can be done- you wouldn't want your guests to feel squished.

• Options
    make your kids table have a paper table cloth so that they can colour right on the table so they can be kept occupied
  • Options
    I was thinking of doing a "kid table" but not for them to actually have to sit there but have it set up so they can play and colour and things like that if they get bored.  I think its a great idea... weddings are boring for kids!
  • Options
    I think a kid's table is a good idea, and from what I've seen most parents like it too.  I would just seat all the families with children adjacent to the kid's table if possible, so the parents can be nearby.
  • Options
    i think its a great idea! maybe get like a 12 year old or two to keep an eye on them and slip them a 20 or something...
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_broke-hugeee-bridal-planning-rule?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:5cfc1951-adc4-4867-abcd-4cb01a209b35Post:213b6518-ce10-4f63-9ea5-fca3eaa507aa">broke a hugeee bridal planning rule!</a>:
    [QUOTE]UGH!  We have 2 tables too many for our reception venue.  I know, that was stupid and I can't believe I did that.  Our dance floor will be the size of a postage stamp.  I have 8 kids coming- they are all cousins, ages 7 and above... what does everybody think of having a separate 'kids' table with crayons, etc- and have them sit at a 8' banquet table- it saves some room and gets rid of ONE of my round tables.  The coordinator doesn't like the idea of moving tables out of the way after dinner because it will be disruptive.  The kids all know how to behave- but I worry it'll stress the parents out?  The kids will probably mostly be up and dancing the whole time anyways- other then dinner time- which is a laid back pizza party reception.  Any words of advice??  (I already know I made a mistake!)
    Posted by Tiffersmu[/QUOTE]

This sounds like you're putting the kids at a separate table all night long, including dinner.  Bad, bad, idea.  First of all, I don't think it will work, and there are parents who won't want their 7 year old sitting alone on the other side of the room.

And kids want to be where the action is.  If they see people eating, dancing, and socializing, that's where they'll be.  You can try it, but IMO, look at this from a kids' POV:  You can sit at a table and color a picture, or you can dash around the room getting sodas, food, and dancing.  Which would you do?
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    what trix said!  if i were 7, i'd MUCH rather "dash around the room getting soda" than color!
  • Options
    No kid table if I were you. I'm a mother of 2 and I would never be comfortable with my kids not sitting with me. One I would want to make sure they're not acting up and disturbing the table next to them, second I don't know what their over earing from the other tables around them.
  • Options
    Do you actually know for sure that you will be short on space?  If you don't have the responses back in yet, then you may be worried prematurely.

If you are doing seating charts, you could put some special kids friendly favor bags at the tables with children. 
  • Options
    I personally do not think that you are breaking any rules.  If you want a kids table go a head and do it.  I am.  You can always break down those to tables and it not make people feel displaced because one can always be your kids table and the other one you can figure on at least 8 people leaving once the food is done (elderly, disabled, etc.,)  That is just my opinion
  • Options
    I like the idea of figuring out seating charts and having kid-friendly bags at specific tables...I might steal it! ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    hmm not really a fan of the kids table idea.. the parents might not want them to be away from them, they might not want to be away from their parents with strangers.. and i agree 7 is way old for most to just want to sit coloring for hours especially at an unsupervised table where they could just get up and wander. that's just unrealistic to me. 
    how close is it to your wedding? do you already know exactly how many are coming? because everyone might not have rsvpd so you might not even know the actual amount. attendance is rarely 100% sometimes not even 50% so if you haven't i would definitely wait for that before you stress or try to figure this out. if you don't know yet i think it's pretty logical that 2 tables worth wouldn't come. i think an avg estimate is 70% yes 30% no but it's really unpredictable.. 
  • Options
    I did a seperate kids table, but only for coloring and other activities I had set up.   The kids ate dinner with their parents.   The kids didn't spend much time early on in the reception at the table because they were up dancing.  But as it got later and they were a little tired, they were at the table coloring and doing other projects I had set up.   I had this table situated near where their parents were sitting so they could be nearby.  I got a lot of compliments about this, as the parents of the kids loved it because it kept the kids occupied!
  • Options
    I worked in Catering for a good amount of time and the whole moving tables works best during a separate cocktail hour-so if you don't have that, it's a no go. Way too hard for the staff to make it happen seamlessly, which is the goal right!

And as far as the kids, yea man, give them stuff to do! That's awesome! And make it cool, not like they're being separated. And maybe put butcher paper over the tables for some wedding arts and crafts-some great artwork could come out of it!
    xoxo Jess Bennett www.jessicaerin-talent.com
  • Options
    Maybe you could put this kids table somewhat centered in the room, and put their parents at the tables surrounding it.  That way you could do it and avoid the issue of the kids being across the room.  
  • Options
    You know, just because your banquets person doesn't like the idea of moving tables doesn't mean you can't still do it! 

I have worked enough banquets and I can tell you without a doubt that if they send a few staff members over two tables can be taken down in no time.  Yes, it may be disruptive, but at the end of the day who is going to talk / remember about a couple of tables being moved!  It is YOUR wedding.
  • Options
    what about a teens table instead?  I plan on doing this for the 12-17ish age range because they would rather be hanging with people their own age than with their parents.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I think kids' tables aren't the way to go.  Part of learning to behave politely in adult society is being exposed to the decorum one should have during events like weddings.  It's not dinner at Friendly's, it's a wedding.  Kids should learn the difference.  If parent's don't think their age 7+ children will behave when seated with everyone else, they shouldn't bring them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    could you do an assortment of round and rectangular tables to save space?

i don't like the idea of having tables on the dance floor because not only is it disruptive to have them broken down and moved before the dancing, but if those guests want to sit down during the dancing, where will they sit?  where will the ladies keep their purses and shawls (yes, you could have a coat room, but some ladies will not want to check their purses).  for the non-dancers and older guests, you cannot expect them to be standing the whole time if their seats were "cleared" to make room for dancing.

if you were planning on doing a sweetheart table, consider having your table be the one on the dance floor.  of all the guests, you and your FI are the ones least likely to be sitting through the whole reception anyway.
  • Options
    I like the idea of having different tables, long and round. I'm not really a fan of the kids table during dinner. Most kids I know around that age still need help with things during dinner, like using a knife and fork. I know you said it's a pizza reception but sometimes when kids are left alone for that long, something is going happen. I'm recreational leader for kids that age and coloring is something they might enjoy but that will only keep them occupied for so long. Maybe include lanyards, older kids need something more to keep them occupied, like figuring out things and coloring doesn't really engage them. If you're really set on coloring get some pictures, of like dragons, etc, so that they're a little more engaged in that. 
    As PP said the parents might want their kids to sit with them. All the weddings I have been to had a kids tables but the parents ended up switching around so they can be with their kids. 
    imageAnniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards