Kentucky-Louisville

Question for you

Hi Ladies,
Full disclosure - I'm a vendor.
I was reading the vendor reviews posted, and I was saddened to see a number of you didn't get a video of your wedding (I am a videographer.) Why not?
A video becomes a family heirloom; especially when you see folks you generally care about offering their best wishes to you.
I've been married 17 years now; we got a basic VHS video (wasn't doing videos then) and I can't tell you how much I value seeing my late grandmother and some late friends smiling and laughing and having a good time. Some here have suggested just getting it shot and getting it edited later. That is certainly better than skipping a video altogether. Your children will be fascinated and thank you.

Re: Question for you

• edited December 2011
    It's expensive and not a necessity in my opinion if you have a limited budget I'm sure it's one of the first things on the chopping block. Our budget was relatively limited so we didn't consider it. We did however have someone "flip video" the whole ceremony, parts of the reception as well as a "Well Wishes to the Bride and Groom" from nearly all the guests. I enjoyed watching the videos. It's definitely not something we'll watch often but maybe pull it out on anniversaries and something our kids could see in the future. We have the HD Flip Video slide and you can get a good deal on one. Plus you have the video recording for other things. We asked a bridemaid's boyfriend to shoot the ceremony and he had no problem at all.
  • ZachandMereZachandMere member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well...  I'm the oldest of four girls and my parents' priority was to put us through school first and wedding second.  My parents helped put me through a Bachelors and a Masters.  That being said, we have a limited budget (I'm also a teacher, so contributing to the budget isn't easy). 

Also weighing in on the decision is the fact that my fiance and I are the "firsts" in our families.  This means that not only are we planning a wedding, but we're planning one blindly.  Choosing vendors in this town is like picking out what straw of hay you want from a stack.  It's hard to discern between vendors and even harder (at times) to find vendors that we can afford. 

After I get all of my major vendors booked (photographer, florist, cake, catering, etc) I'm going to re-visit the budget and consider a videographer.  My married friends say it was some of the best money they spent, which encourages me to get one. 
  • FKSFKS
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto PP's - a video is something that would be nice to have but isn't necessary, and when everything else you're already paying for is overpriced because it has the word "wedding" attached to it, spending an extra grand (at minimum) on a video is a luxury a lot of people simply can't afford. 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Would much rather have photography. Video wasn't even on our list of considerations, and if it was, after getting the photographer booked, it would have been the first thing cut. Just really didn't care about taping it.
  • edited December 2011
    I would have loved a video, but like everyone else said, it was very expensive.  My SIL had a video done at her wedding and the only one who watches it is her mother.  I didn't want to use a large chunk of our budget on something no one would ever use.
  • inkygirlinkygirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The only reason I'm having one is because a very good friend from college owns a video production company and is doing it for our gift.  We're doing our entire wedding for $2500 so there's no way I have room for videography. 
  • edited December 2011
    I have the same issue as the others.  I would love to have a videographer, but on a very limited budget it's just not possible.  I even had to shop around to find a photographer for less than $600 when the going rate is $1500 and up. 

I can imagine sitting there 10 years from now watching our wedding video, laughing at the way people acted and crying for those who were there who may not be with us anymore.  I wish there was a way to afford it, but pictures are something you can put on your wall, you cell phone, your facebook, in photobooks, a photo keychain, etc.
  • cceaglescceagles member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ladies,
    Thanks for your replies.
    I WOULD urge you not to lose your minds on wedding expenses. It seems the industry does keep ratcheting up what one "must" do. I've also seen some of those shows on WE and TLC. Who ARE those people?????
    Answer: Some of them are in my trade orgs. (One guy in Florida actually steps in and directs the wedding and produces "awesome" videos. But then he is a major memory of the wedding, I think. And I think the couple spends time doing stuff he wants them to do, which I personally think lands a bit on the fake side of things. But maybe not...)
    At any rate, thanks for the comments. I still think videos can be valuable family heirlooms.
    Congratulations and Best Wishes to you all!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards