Delaware

Bridal Shower Help

Hi ladies,
Hope everyone's been doing well! Question for everyone: I'm a BM in a friend's wedding this summer. Half of the other BMs are out of town & it may possibly be only myself & another girl hosting & paying for the shower. Money's tight, I was hoping to host the shower in a house but both the other BM & myself live in smaller apartments. The bride suggested my mom's house but I don't feel it's appropriate for my mom to clean her house & worry about throwing a party when she's not invited to the wedding.
Does anyone have any idea of any local places that allow you to rent the space & bring in your own food & drinks? I'm thinking somewhere like a church hall, memorial hall, state park house or something but want to find something that looks nice & has enough seating. If anyone has any ideas, your help is HUGELY appreciated!

Re: Bridal Shower Help

• Mattsbride10Mattsbride10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

You should have the shower in the Spring and do it outside. Try Banner Park in Wilmington. They have pavillions.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Mattsbride has a great idea; I think you need to reserve them, but I think they are of little cost.

Another one that I have heard of brides doing (especially for their day after brunch/lunch) is Delaware Park apparently has some pavillion type areas as well.  Check out a few of the parks in Old New Castle.  Also, Glasgow Park is really nice.  What about Carousel Park- they have a picnic area you can reserve. 

Are you, the bride, or the other bridesmaid a member at a church?  What about a close family friend- the bride's mother, aunt, FMIL?  If so, just talk to your pastor- most churches, as long as there isn't anything conflicting with the event, will graciously allow members to utilize their social hall.

Another idea:  Is anyone a member of a summer pool?  I know that at my summer pool, we have a covered deck area that guests can rent/have parties at, or you can rent the picnic tables under the trees. 

If I can ask, which apartments do you live in?  I ask because some have a guest house or club house (I know villages at fox point does), and it's often cheap to rent it out (at Villages, it's $150 for the day).  Or, sometimes, neighborhoods have the same thing-a club house or old farmhouse type setting that residents can reserve (often for free).  This is what they did for my cousins shower, and it was really nice.  If you know someone who has access to one, maybe you can pull a favor.

What about a silly venue?  Xbos or Chuckie Cheese, anyone?  J/K :)

Finally, check out the VFW on Churchman's Road, and let me know what you think.  It's just been remodeled recently, and FI and I actually considered it for our reception (you have to bring in everything tho, so we nixed it), it's very nice inside!  If you are interested there, I can put you in touch with the caterer.

I wish I had more ideas; if I come up with anything, I will definitely make sure to mention it!
  • edited December 2011

I dont have any suggestions on where to hold it but I do have one opinion... even if the other BM's are not able to attend the bridal shower I think they should still be contributing financially.  When the bride asked them to be a BM, this is one of the things they have agreed to in my opinion.  Dont take on the burdon of hosting a whole shower just on yours and other other person's shoulders or wallets.  The out of town BM's can send a check in the mail to pay for it, and they should be active in the planning.

MBR - I live in Village at Fox Point and am trying to have my shower in the community room :)  Great minds think alike...

• Mattsbride10Mattsbride10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Miguelhilary-She could ask them for thier help but it shouldnt be expected. Everyones situation is different.

If money is super tight...take my advice and have it outside someplace and it shouldnt cost all that much. And don't worry about catering...you can throw a "Pot Luck" shower.

Click on this...http://www.ehow.com/how_4763755_throw-pot-luck-bridal-shower.html
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • colleen3724colleen3724 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks ladies!!!!
  • edited December 2011
    I think gifts are not to be expected.  In my opinion, and I know this won't be how everyone feels, when you agree to be in someone's bridal party you are taking on the responsibility (financial or otherwise) to buy/rent the wedding attire, and host wedding parties like the shower and bach parties.  If you can not afford the time or money to do those things (within reason, nothing extravagant), I think its only fair to decline the invitation to be part of the wedding.  It is just as supportive to sit in attendance as a guest as it is to stand by someone's side.

That's just my opinion.  I've been in two bridal parties, and financially strapped both times, but I knew it was part of the "job" to contribute to certain things.  A bridal attendant is there to support and help the bride in her experience of getting married, not just buy a pretty dress and stand in for pics.

I do agree that potluck is a great way to get around the added cost of catering.  Dollar Stores carry all kinds of disposable party items, like the plates and napkins, favors, balloons, etc.
  • edited December 2011
    I hosted my BF's bridal shower in my church's great room.  I was charged a $40 refundable deposit.  I just ordered a large sandwich tray from a deli, the brides mom brought hot roast beef and rolls, and we just had some snacks laying around.  I like the idea of a potluck, and then you can ask the people to bring along a copy of the recipe for the dish they brought to give to the bride. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards