Catholic Weddings
Options

Happy New Missal Sunday

I'm getting ready to head to mass with H, and am super-excited for the new missal, for Advent, and for regular homilies (rather than new translation catechesis homilies).

What did you all think of the missal in full use? How did it go at your parish?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Happy New Missal Sunday

• Options
    OliveOilsMomOliveOilsMom member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    There were many times where the old replies were more prevalent than the new translations.  For example, the old response is "And also with you" and the new response is "And with your spirit".  Most of the people in church loudly said the and also with you.  Our priest did give an announcement just before he opened Mass, and it seemed more people grabbed a missal.  But there were times where the old words where much louder.  I'm sure it will get easier.  People seemed to stumble on the word "consubstanial" in the Profession of Faith too.  It just sounds like we are now speaking in old English during Mass instead of current English.
  • Options
    lalaith50lalaith50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    It was great at my parish! Of course people forgot the new response to "The Lord be with you," but that just goes to show us how much we are on auto-pilot! (Even I did, the first TWO times I heard it, and I was determined to get it right! haha!) 
    I thought that hearing the Eucharistic Prayer was really neat, because I was reminded of how much I take that prayer for granted, often by hardly listening since I've heard it so many times. So when I was hearing such a different translation, it really reminded me to listen more closely and pay better attention!
    No one had any trouble with the word "consubstantial," but I'm sure that's because last weekend the priest specifically talked about that word in his homily.

I know that some priests (and even more sadly, bishops,) have been outspokenly negative towards the new translation, and that is so unfortunate, because their flocks will draw their initial opinions from those who introduce it to them. My priest was very posivite and helpful in explaining it, and the only negative thing I heard anyone say, was from an old lady who was talking about what she *heard* someone else say about the translation, not even her own personal experience. It showed her ignorance even more, because she was complaining about how she can't pronounce the word "ineffable," and I had to laugh because, guess what, not only is that word not used most Sundays, but SHE doesn't have to pronounce it! Only the priest does! 

So, yes, if you can't tell already, I'm so excited about the new translation! (I'm just sad that it wasn't in time to use at my wedding late month...) I think it's great that we don't begin Mass by saying literally, "Hey, hope you're doing well!" "You, too!" 
    When we enter into a church, it shouldn't be just like our every day life. The words of the Mass are so rich with meaning. 

It's like, if you were talking to royalty and asking them a favor or something, I'm sure you wouldn't be like, "What's up? Hey, I need this thing from you." You'd be like. "Your majesty, I would be so grateful if you would take a minute for me and hear a request I have." Only so much more appropriate that our language should reflect God's greatness and majesty even more!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    CiardasullyCiardasully member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    We have been implementing the new missal for awhile now but I still struggle with the new words.  But I am sure I will learn and I am glad that the new translation is closer to the Latin. 

PitaPata Cat tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For the record, I obey joyfully whatever the church says should be our liturgical practice. I'm fine with the changes, looking forward to lots of new music.

But 2 things irk me a bit about it: 

1) Some of the sentence structures are hideous. I'm not talking about the vocabulary itself, but the post communion prayer today would be put in an english book as an example of bad structure. Its all over the place, and the placement of a pronoun sounds like it refers to one thing when actually its the other. What bothers me more about this was that this prayer was edited AFTER the final book was approved.

2) I understand the meaning of "and with your spirit". I'm completely on board with the meaning that is trying to be conveyed by saying this. However, as a TOB nut, I think this will further the misunderstanding that many people have of duality between body and soul, and mistake it for simply referring to the Priest's soul, apart from body. Now, if people will read up, they will find that it doesn't, but the regular Catholic, or the C&Es most likely are not. On Catholic forums, I've seen the question about this come up several times already...asking "aren't we both body and soul? Why are we neglecting the priest's whole person"...etc

Again, I'll willfully go along with it and try to educate when I can. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We went tonight...at one point you could tell the priest was trying REALLY hard not to laugh becuase the response was unintelligible.

Christmas & Easter are going to be interesting...someone on another (non-Catholic) message board posted she is worried about Christmas because she only goes Christmas and Easter and will not be used to the wording.

Personally, I think most people will still be a little confused at Christmas...but by Easter you might stick out a little bit ;)
    Click Here for Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Married June 12, 2010!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_happy-new-missal-sunday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:b62433b9-ca9e-43c3-80dc-456d78c51ca4Post:3785b183-bd07-4cbe-9f36-a5fb24857156">Re: Happy New Missal Sunday</a>:
    [QUOTE]It was great at my parish! Of course people forgot the new response to "The Lord be with you," but that just goes to show us how much we are on auto-pilot! (Even I did, the first TWO times I heard it, and I was determined to get it right! haha!) 
    Posted by lalaith50[/QUOTE]

I actually had the opposite experience. I was spot on "And with your spirit" the first two times, but then I got cocky and messed up the next two times.

I really love the new translation. I think the language is beautiful and I love how much closer it is to Latin.  I'm confident that I'll get comfortable with things soon. I wonder if being a convert, and having learned the mass as an adult, makes me (and other adult converts) more comfortable with learning the new translation (v. "This is the only thing I've ever known!"). The priest messed up once during the Eucharistic Prayer, which made me feel better about my errors.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I really enjoyed it.  Our parish had little handouts, but they only included the people's responses.  I liked reading along in the missal to see all of the changes.  Monsignor had a few moments where he stumbled, but it was overall pretty smooth.  The only thing I disliked was that the choir basically sang EVERYTHING and the congregation was almost never invited to also sing.  I get that they were introducing some new melodies, but I really like to sing.  =)
    Anniversary

• Options
    KamakananiKamakanani member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    At our parish, you could definitely tell it is new - there is still the "I'm reading so I don't mess up" vibe from both our priest and the congregation.  On that front, I'm giving it time to become habit.  It takes time.

For the most part, I enjoy the new translation.  It feels richer in the majority of places.  I will admit, though, one of my favorite "lines" or prayers was significantly changed and I don't yet feel as connected to the new version as I did with the old.  Yesterday, I was really missing the old version of the pre-Communion prayer "Lord, I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the workd and I shall be healed."  I understand the closer biblical connection with the new translation, but....

Other than that, it was very interesting to hear it all anew yesterday.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

One thing to remember: The wedding is just one day. The marriage is all the rest of them.

April 2012 Siggy Challenge: Cake Inspiration
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It was defintely an experience!  I, too, said "and also with you" a couple times, even though I was concentrating SO hard and reminding myself "and with your spirit, and with your spirit, and with your spirit" all day before Mass!  I actually enjoy the new translation, though.

• Options
    ingeniousideaingeniousidea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I loved it, and the presider did a wonderful job of prayerfully and carefully enunciating the new texts.  Our parish did a pretty good job of the "and with your spirit"s, except for the ones we weren't expecting (e.g. before the proclamation of the gospel or the sign of peace -- they catch you by surprise if you're not paying attention!). 

@Agapecarrie, a quick observation -- You're probably aware of this, but the awkward sentence structure is a result of hewing as closely as possible to the Latin text, including structure.  Latin grammar is (to put it mildly) VERY different from English, with convoluted sentence structures. English speakers struggle to follow Latin constructions because our brains are used to different syntax.  I agree that this can make for very awkward sentences, but I think after having heard them a few (or hundreds!) of times, we'll be much better able to follow along.

• Options
    shawna127shawna127 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like the new changes, but I really had to focus.  Especially on the creed, even though I was reading it straight from the page I would still mess up lol.  But the part "Lord I am not worthy for you to enter under my roof.."  My grandma still said that up until she passed away in August, so I wonder how she would have like the new changes. It would have been back to the way she had it in a child in some cases. It's just kind of neat to think about :o)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I liked it...it was interesting, my SS absolutely loathed it...I think on principle, perhaps because I liked it and he's 16 and being ornery! But somehow it's poetical to me...then again, I've only been going to Mass for about 4 years, so I didn't have so many years of saying it the "old way."

I was listening to EWTN either Monday or Tuesday, and I liked what the priest said. He spoke of how the words are not the ones that most of us use every day, and that this - to him - was fitting. The words of a celebration or special occasion should be something special and different.

I liked that.

Linda
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    doctabroccolidoctabroccoli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had a similar experience - most people did okay with the more complex changes - but the "And also with you" reflex response was still very present!

I still think this translation of the Gloria is incredibly wordy and therefore difficult to write into music, but we'd done it for a few weeks already pre-Advent, so I'm getting used to it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Waiting to meet the baby broccoli on 5/5/2013!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I haven't gotten to hear the new Gloria, because the new changes happened on the first day of Advent.  H and I were trying to figure out how it was going to be reworked.
    Anniversary

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_happy-new-missal-sunday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:b62433b9-ca9e-43c3-80dc-456d78c51ca4Post:e665c2c7-4a8e-46ef-9e1b-5a6a6e9684a7">Re: Happy New Missal Sunday</a>:
    [QUOTE]I haven't gotten to hear the new Gloria, because the new changes happened on the first day of Advent.  H and I were trying to figure out how it was going to be reworked.
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]

Off the top of my head (Mass of St. Paul the Apostle) because it's faster than looking it up.....

"Glory to God in the highest and on earth peace to people of good will.  We praise you, we bless you, we adore you, we glorify you.  We give you thanks for your great glory, Lord God heavenly king.  O God almighty Father.  Lord, Jesus Christ.  Only Begotten Son.  Lord God, Lamb of God.  Son of the Father.  You take away the sins of the world, have mercy on us.  You take away the sins of the world, receive our prayer.  You are seated at the right hand of the father.  Have mercy on us, have mercy on us.  For you alone are the holy one, you alone are the lord.  You alone are the most high, Jesus Christ.  With the Holy Spirit, in the glory of God the Father, amen, amen."

It's not a huge change.... it's just wordier.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Last night, H and I went to daily mass and the non-celebrating priest at the parish slipped into the pew behind us after hearing confessions. He also messed up several times, which made H and I both laugh and feel better about our own mess ups. The celebrating priest also had several slip-ups -- we're all human and getting used to it.

I also felt good that I had time to sit and memorize the new Penetential Act ("I confess...") and got it right. Again, not a lot of changes, but enough to feel "off."  I've made a decision to really focus on memorizing the new stuff to stop relying on the cards -- it just takes me out of the right mindset for mass.

Docta -- those are the official words of the new Gloria regardless of setting. I'm working on getting it memorized next, but I've only gotten as far as "I give you thanks for your great glory."
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Docta, yes, I've seen the words, just haven't heard it sung.  What I meant was, we weren't sure what the new melody would be since it is indeed wordier.
    Anniversary

• Options
    newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

The priest at our Mass did an amazing job!  He didn't make a single mistake that I noticed from following along with a pamphlet...  The liturgical director did an interesting thing to help us with the new responses; a lot of them were sung rather than spoken to help us slow down and follow along more closely... that helped a lot.  My husband and I did actually get to go to a Mass a few weekends ago where they had implemented the new translation early up by my sister's school... I definitely messed up almost every "and with your spirit" response!  I liked the new translation, but it's definitely an adjustment... I appreciate that it helps me focus more during Mass.

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_happy-new-missal-sunday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:b62433b9-ca9e-43c3-80dc-456d78c51ca4Post:90378599-f3cd-42f4-8501-abe7b8b7d460">Re: Happy New Missal Sunday</a>:
    [QUOTE]Last night, H and I went to daily mass and the non-celebrating priest at the parish slipped into the pew behind us after hearing confessions. He also messed up several times, which made H and I both laugh and feel better about our own mess ups. The celebrating priest also had several slip-ups -- we're all human and getting used to it. I also felt good that I had time to sit and memorize the new Penetential Act ("I confess...") and got it right. Again, not a lot of changes, but enough to feel "off."  I've made a decision to really focus on memorizing the new stuff to stop relying on the cards -- it just takes me out of the right mindset for mass. Docta -- those are the official words of the new Gloria regardless of setting. I'm working on getting it memorized next, but I've only gotten as far as "I give you thanks for your great glory."
    Posted by bibliophile2010[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we've only learned one gloria so far, so I wasn't sure if others were slightly tweaked or not.....  I mean, all the glorias have always had the same general wording, but previously they've all been slightly different....  Like the Mass of Light gloria was "Glory to God in the highest, sing glory to God......  Glory to God in the highest, and peace to his/God's people on Earth." while another one we sang (Missa del Mundo) was "Glory, glory to God.  Glory in the highest.  Glory, glory to God, glory to God most high."  That was the only reason I stated which mass setting I was quoting :).
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    CiardasullyCiardasully member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_happy-new-missal-sunday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:b62433b9-ca9e-43c3-80dc-456d78c51ca4Post:811a2010-a3b8-4ac1-ace6-1452de54f1df">Re: Happy New Missal Sunday</a>:
    [QUOTE]We went tonight...at one point you could tell the priest was trying REALLY hard not to laugh becuase the response was unintelligible. Christmas & Easter are going to be interesting...someone on another (non-Catholic) message board posted she is worried about Christmas because she only goes Christmas and Easter and will not be used to the wording. Personally, I think most people will still be a little confused at Christmas...but by Easter you might stick out a little bit ;)
    Posted by Jay&Marissa[/QUOTE]

Funny you said that.  My FI and lasped (I know, it's bad.  We just didn't go for awhile.) but we returned to attending Sunday mass this summer (have been every week except when Hurricane Irene hit) and I said to him I am glad we returned or I would have been lost.
    PitaPata Cat tickers Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards