Missouri-St Louis

9th St. Abbey...show me your ideas!!!

I'm getting married next Oct. at the 9th St. Abbey in Soulard.  Please share ANY ideas for decorations esp. for the front "altar" during the ceremony!  Pictures would be a bonus!!!  I need some inspiration...

Re: 9th St. Abbey...show me your ideas!!!

• edited December 2011
    I second that, Atinney! I'm getting married there too, next September! I've looked @ the books Jenna had there, googled it, and still nothing. If anyone has ideas please pass them along!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

I know right?!  It's a popular wedding venue.  Thought for sure I'd get lots of responses.  Come on knotties help us out!!!!!!!

• edited December 2011
    This board is kind of slow and doesn't get a lot of feedback for whatever reason...have you tried doing a google images search, I was able to find some awesome pictures of my venue doing that.  GL
  • jlk0219jlk0219 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our wedding photographer shot an October wedding there that I absolutely loved.  They tied bunches of curly willow to the ends of the chairs along the aisle and had large floral arrangements with curly willow near the altar area.  Here is the link to her blog post about it, but it only shows a couple pictures.  Watch the slide show at the bottom of the post to see better pics of the decor.  HTH!!
  • edited December 2011
    @ Atinney, I know! The only thing I know for sure is that we are going to have the monogrammed bogo on the wall behind us and an aisle runner with petals running down both sides. But, I'm not sure what else to add to the altar area also found these pics: http://artisticsoup.net/2010/08/02/venue-feature-the-9th-street-abbey/ .

@ Fam, I've noticed that too.. c'mon STL brides!! : )I have tried googling images but there isn't many that pop up, I'm going to keep looking though.  @JLK,  can you repost the link again?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jlk0219jlk0219 member
    edited December 2011
    Sure, here it is (clicky):

http://kellyparkphoto.blogspot.com/2008/10/megan-darren-married.html

There's only one pic in the actual blog post, but if you scroll to the bottom and watch the slideshow, you'll see more pics.  It's definitely more traditional decor than the Artistic Soup pics you posted, so I'm not sure if you'll like it as well.

Not sure what your budget or exact style is, but why don't you just look for inspiration pics in general and ask your florist or coordinator to make it fit into the altar space?  It seems like you're interested in either a dramatic backdrop or something to flank the sides of the altar?  Since the ceilings are so high you'll definitely want to do something tall or at least oriented vertically to fill up some of that space.

Here's some suggestions for you ladies::

Flank either side of the altar with some very large floral arrangements (branches such as curly willow, birch, etc, or a manzanita "tree" on top of a pedestal). You can order most of these from Save-On-Crafts.com or you could go super cheap and scour your backyard for long branches.  You could also do large flowering branches such as forsythia but I'm not sure if any are in season in Sept/October. The ones in the pic below are green willow branches and it looks like they just in garden planters.

Create some type of "curtain" for a backdrop. Obviously this is pretty fancy with orchids and crystals, but you could make your own with crystals from Save On Crafts and fishing line.  Then you just need to figure out a way to hang it across the altar area and I'm sure their coordinator can help you with that.

You could also get some very large glass cylinder vases, fill them with water, and float candles in them and use them either behind you or on either side of you.  Those would be expensive to buy, so you'd either want to rent them or see if you can get them through your florist.  I couldn't find a pic of exactly what I'm thinking of (I saw it on some wedding show a while back) but here is a link with a bunch of similar ideas.  Obviously some of those would probably be out of your budget, but you can always take an idea and scale it down, or at least use it as a starting point.

I hope I got you guys brainstorming a bit!!  Just start looking at ceremony decor pics in general and find something you like- you'll figure out how to make it work within the space! Wink
  • jlk0219jlk0219 member
    edited December 2011
    Ah- found it!  I was thinking of another knottie's wedding where they had a ton of floating candles behind them.

You can go to her bio to see more pics.  By the way, even if you guys end up going very simple and just have some candles for the decor, it will be stunning. I've been to 9th St Abbey for a reception and it is GORGEOUS in the evening with tons of candlelight!!
  • edited December 2011
    @jlk...thanks so much for your help!  You are so creative!!!  I know the spot is wonderful so I don't think I'll have to do anything drastic.  I want the space to speak for itself...thanks again for your ideas and pics!!!
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, thank you JLK.. I really like the branch/tree idea and the floating candles in the vases.. now i have something to go on!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards