Attire & Accessories Forum

Alterations

So, about 1.5 months ago I handed my dress to the seamstress to add lace sleeves (some of you may remember I posted about that before!!) and to do a bustle and take it in a little.

Well after a lot of looking, she says she has found lace that looks great with the dress, and that I will love it and she'll send me pictures. That was 2 weeks ago. I've wrote her again since then to ask where these pictures were... no answer.

So the dress shop that I bought the dress out of, and that I guess she somehow contracts with called me today asking for some money to pay her to "get the ball rolling." I thought the ball already was rolling!!!

They want me to call them back with my credit card number so that she can get partially paid, for work she hasn't even apparently started yet and for something I haven't seen OR approved of yet, I mean it is my dress isn't it???

I sent her another email today after the phone call telling her I would be fine paying for any material she has already purchased or needs to purchase, but that I think it's only fair I get to see it to make sure I like it (and that she's not sewing my grandmothers doilies on there!!) and that I would be happy to meet with her if she was unable to take pictures.

Is this normal??? Should I be expected to pay before I see anything?? Should I insist on a meeting so I can actually see and feel the material I'll be wearing on my wedding day?

And in the alternative, how dangerous is it to just tell her I've found someone better (I have!) and would like to have my dress back to give to her, and I'd be happy to pay for her expenses she's spent - assuming there are any and that she has receipts...

Am I being a bridezilla right now???

Advice is greatly appreciated!

Re: Alterations

• I also would want to see what she has planned before paying anything.  I would actually go to the shop since you're not getting any results with the phone calls or e-mails.  Due to the fact that she isn't getting back to you, you could even use that as an excuse to take the dress elsewhere.  Go to the bridal shop, tell them you're not completely satisfied with the service, and pick up the dress.  If you really do want to have your alterations done elsewhere, that's your choice.  I would pay for anything that's been done and finish your business where you're more comfortable.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards