Catholic Weddings

church problems

I dont understand how the flowergirl can't drop flowers down the aile? Even after we walk out of the church, nothing can be thrown at us (flowers, bird seeds etc.) Anyone have any ideas?

Re: church problems

• Because:

- Flower petals stain/create permanent damage

-Flower petals are dangerous to walk on/liability

-the mess wedding parties make is rarely cleaned up (very true statement, I work for the church and we are left with messes every week)

-The liturgical procession is not meant to be some sort of lavish "here comes the bride" moment. It is supposed to be the bride and groom approaching the church for the sacrament of marriage. The focus should be on God. 

-Everything done in the liturgy has depth in its meaning, down to the smallest detail of where the priest holds his hands during certain prayers. The flower dropping contains no liturgical or christian meaning at all.
  • It's pretty common for churches/venues to have this rule for the reasons agape mentioned above. Many brides simply have their flowergirls hold small bouquets or pomanders instead. Are you going somewhere to take photos? You could bring baskets of petals there and have the girls toss them for pictures. Could be really cute!
  • Here is a thread from a few weeks ago with lots of suggestions of things for the flower girls to carry instead of petals.

http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_flower-girl-1

Also, generally (not always), the "grand send-off" is done at the end of the reception.  I would check with your reception venue and see if you can use petals/sparklers/seeds whatever (I see from your post on the DFW page that you're looking for a barn, so this shouldn't be an issue).
    Anniversary

• you could have folks blow bubbles when you exit the church.  ive seen that.

ive seen several FG's with pomanders.  the only problme with tehm is depending upon the age of the girl, tehy can easily turn into a weapon (i.e., get swung around!)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_church-problems?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:c14f59c9-3b72-4b06-8fd1-317bb61309abPost:a40b5ef6-2722-43a7-a300-82a20a6855ca">Re: church problems</a>:
    [QUOTE]you could have folks blow bubbles when you exit the church.  ive seen that. ive seen several FG's with pomanders.  <strong>the only problme with tehm is depending upon the age of the girl, tehy can easily turn into a weapon (i.e., get swung around!)
    </strong>Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

I think that's just a risk you assume when you ask a small child to sit still in front of a hundred people for 30 minutes to an hour.  =)
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards